• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashwin for the Australia series

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interestingly, the trio of Ashwin, Jadeja and Kuldeep have taken 18 wickets between them at 24.94 in the last trip down under. Lyon took 21 wickets at 30.42 during the same series. He was indeed out bowled.
Haha tbf Lyon rekt us at Perth

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Both Ashwin and Jadeja should play as all-rounders along with 3 pacers
This is worth looking into, too. Are we expecting the same batting line-up from the NZ tour? Jadeja at 6 is one slot too high for comfort, but realistically speaking, how much less effective is he going to be than say Vihari (or either of Rohit/Rahul)? The bulk of the runs are going to have to be scored by the top 5 anyway, and it's always going to the bowling that gives us a chance at competing in Aus. Think it's worth the gamble of potentially weakening the batting for an extra bowler.

trundler

Would make way more sense to sacrifice spin for batting in Australia than vice versa.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Would make way more sense to sacrifice spin for batting in Australia than vice versa.
Its not that straight forward. With only 4 bowlers and 1 of them being rather ineffective, given it will be Ash/Jaddu, it also places a lot of demand on the seamers and their workloads. Sacrificing batting for more potent fast bowling is how this should be looked at.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This is worth looking into, too. Are we expecting the same batting line-up from the NZ tour? Jadeja at 6 is one slot too high for comfort, but realistically speaking, how much less effective is he going to be than say Vihari (or either of Rohit/Rahul)? The bulk of the runs are going to have to be scored by the top 5 anyway, and it's always going to the bowling that gives us a chance at competing in Aus. Think it's worth the gamble of potentially weakening the batting for an extra bowler.
Pant is perfectly fine as a #6 tbh. If we do go with two spinners, I expect Jaddu to bat 7 and Ash to bat 8 and both are totally capable of playing test cricket at those numbers as far as batting goes.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Pant is perfectly fine as a #6 tbh. If we do go with two spinners, I expect Jaddu to bat 7 and Ash to bat 8 and both are totally capable of playing test cricket at those numbers as far as batting goes.
Exactly. On flat Australian drop-in pitches, we need 5 bowling options more than lower-order batting.

Flem274*

123/5
jadeja. has left arm h4x, has the 'intangibles'

india are gonna get killed. they were rolled over ladt summer by the same outfit who had their belly tickled weeks prior by aus and at leadt that team could deploy wagnerball.

all youve got going for you is you dont have a mental block against aus as heavy as burgeys old man ramblings

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Not saying he's better than jadeja? Just saying I think 3 seamers+one of ashwin or jadeja+hardik is the best combination if India play 5 bowlers in aus.

trundler

Pandya did get a fifer in England. Personally I think India are better off stacking batting.

Daemon

Pandya being fit would be ideal. But he hasn’t bowled for ages so I highly doubt he’ll be ready for tests anytime soon.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
Pandya is important, will give the main pacers much needed rest between spells and his bowling figures won't be much different from ashwin. Also a better batsman than ravi.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I would not play Ashwin and Jadeja together, perfect recipe for Australia racking up 200 in a session. Rather play Jadeja and Vihari or Ashwin and Vihari depending on how the pitch looks, as much as we like to make fun of him he can still **** **** up for Australia if he gets a breaking 5th day pitch.