• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashwin for the Australia series

Teja.

Global Moderator
Do you think Ashwin should make the Indian test XI for the series in Australia?

Discuss.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It doesn't matter which of him and jadeja they pick from a bowling POV, they're both going to get belted. Jadeja a better bat and fielder, so should make it on that basis in the (albeit futile) hope he might do something with the cue to make up for taking 1/150 every dig.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
It doesn't matter which of him and jadeja they pick from a bowling POV, they're both going to get belted. Jadeja a better bat and fielder, so should make it on that basis in the (albeit futile) hope he might do something with the cue to make up for taking 1/150 every dig.
You are overrating both your batsman and bowlers.Jadeja belted the aussies for 90 odd at scg and there's no reason why he cant do it again specially at mcg and scg.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
For the first test Ravindra Jadeja should be the obvious choice,spinners dont really do well in pink ball tests and ravindra jadeja might actually make some runs .

Burgey

You are overrating both your batsman and bowlers.Jadeja belted the aussies for 90 odd at scg and there's no reason why he cant do it again specially at mcg and scg.
There's every reason why he won't do it again. He's going to get hit into next week. They won't be chasing 150 odd every dig this time mate. They'll be in the field for days and days and days on end. It'll be a reverse Pujara with twist.

I don't think you can overestimate how hard Australia is going to come at India this series after what happened sans Smith and Warner last time. They were embarrassed, and rightly so -losing at home to a SC team is WSC level bad by Australian standards. There's going to be a rogering.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He did better last time than the previous two, but I'd probably play Jadeja over him - I've always thought Jadeja was the better bowler overseas anyway.

Burgey

If you're taking 1/150 as a front line bowler, making 90 batting eight or nine will indeed be futile.

Daemon

We discussed this a lot somewhere iirc.

I’m firmly in the Jadeja camp. Hasn’t contributed to wins like Ashwin in the first tests of England and Australia tours but hasn’t been a ****show in some games either. Plus his fielding and batting is far superior.

Playing both has been floated by hb iirc. Not too keen on that especially in Australia.

Burgey

Yeah I genuinely think Jadeja deserves first crack at it. Sort of Ashton Agar to Ashwin's Lloyd Pope - neither will do anything substantial, but one might chip in every now and again whereas the other just won't based on what he's done here before.

TheJediBrah

We discussed this a lot somewhere iirc.

I’m firmly in the Jadeja camp. Hasn’t contributed to wins like Ashwin in the first tests of England and Australia tours but hasn’t been a ****show in some games either. Plus his fielding and batting is far superior.

Playing both has been floated by hb iirc. Not too keen on that especially in Australia.
Ashwin is a proven failure in Australia, Jadeja is still an unknown. For me he is the obvious pick because of batting/fielding.

the idea of playing both makes sense if you genuinely think they will both contribute as batsmen. Not sure what India's middle-order options are like after Pujara/Kohli, or if they are much better than Jadeja/Ashwin with the willow.

Burgey

Is Pandya fit? He'd be a better pick batting six and giving your front line quicks a rest at 3/560 approach tea day two, and the kid can bat better than either of Ashwin or Jadeja.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
There's every reason why he won't do it again. He's going to get hit into next week. They won't be chasing 150 odd every dig this time mate. They'll be in the field for days and days and days on end. It'll be a reverse Pujara with twist.
You are surely underrating india's bowling lineup,Bumrah is back to his best and ishant hasnt set a foot wrong since 2016,aussies wont be piling up runs in adelaide and gabba.At mcg and scg they can but indian batsman will match them pound for pound on those flatties
I don't think you can overestimate how hard Australia is going to come at India this series after what happened sans Smith and Warner last time. They were embarrassed, and rightly so -losing at home to a SC team is WSC level bad by Australian standards. There's going to be a rogering.
Also, i can bet that david warner is going to be a big flop in this series.Smith doesn’t look the same so i don’t really think that beating aussies is that difficult TBH.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
If you're taking 1/150 as a front line bowler, making 90 batting eight or nine will indeed be futile.
Jadeja Rarely has figures like those,he isnt yasir shah mate.He can keep the economy rate in check,also he avgs 45+ in the last three year with the bat ,he"ll make runs.

Burgey

You can bet if you like mate. What's the bet? India to win and Warner and Smith to both fail? What's the pass mark for them in terms of runs scored? You can have first crack at setting it.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
You're missing my point - 1/150 will be keeping the economy rate in check. he's going to bowl a lot of overs. A ****load.
You are not going to make 500+ against bumrah, sharma and shami atleast not in adelaide and gabba.
as i said 500+ is possible only in mcg and scg but what makes you think indian batsman wont match yours pound for pound on those flatties.That's our FORTE

Burgey

Yeah they will. The Indian bowlers will be so exhausted by Brisbane they'll get carved. You talk about this idea of grinding out runs on flat decks - mate, have you not seen any of Labushagne and Smith? Their middle name is Attrition. Place your bets then.

Last edited: