• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes predictions

Who will win the Ashes?

• England

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Australia

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters

tooextracool

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Flintoff has started to run through sides lately and is far more than a "decent enough stock bowler" - him and Harmison are England's best bowlers.
no he hasnt, hes a good bowler but he simply doesnt have the tools to be a strike bowler, and if england seriously are going to rely on him to be a strike bowler for the ashes series, they're going to have serious problems. either harmison fires from all cylinders, or everyone else bowls to their full potential if they are to stand a chance.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
well done in leaving out the entire series in SA though, makes your claims look even more ludicrous. and instead of accusing others of not watching the game, you might actually want to watch his performance at lords against NZ, which was clearly match winning for anyone who is capable of judging a bowler by performance instead of match figures.
I've just noticed the one where he had that terrible injury is counted as a "poor" match - not sure on what basis that is?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Link said:
i get offended every time i see things like this. no one is backing the english, not even ourselves. well apart from me. Furthermore poeple are taking us for joke.
loyalty for you
They are just being realistic ...thats all.

Zinzan

Scaly piscine said:
Mostly complete tosh there, also a whitewash is any series where you win and your opponent fails to score - that includes 3-0.
Incorrect......a whitewash means winning EVERY game in the series....

Zinzan

Unless weather intervenes - although highly unlikely or there are injuries to the likes of Mcgrath, Warne or Gilchrist, I predict 5-0 to Australia.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
zinzan12 said:
Unless weather intervenes - although highly unlikely or there are injuries to the likes of Mcgrath, Warne or Gilchrist, I predict 5-0 to Australia.
I really can't see it, even if you exclude the possibility of injuries to key personnel & the weather. By common consent (& ICC rankings) this is the best England team for some time & even during our numerous 90s nadirs we were never whitewashed.

I think we'll need too many of our players to be at the peak of their form over too long a period to be consistently competitive over a 5 test series, but I think we can certainly take at least a test (& hopefully a live one) off the Aussies.

Zinzan

BoyBrumby said:
I really can't see it, even if you exclude the possibility of injuries to key personnel & the weather. By common consent (& ICC rankings) this is the best England team for some time & even during our numerous 90s nadirs we were never whitewashed.

I think we'll need too many of our players to be at the peak of their form over too long a period to be consistently competitive over a 5 test series, but I think we can certainly take at least a test (& hopefully a live one) off the Aussies.
Undoubtably this is the best English side in the last 10-15 years and you won't get an argument from me against them clearly being the 2nd best test side in the world at the moment.

I just happen to rate this current Australian side with the way they play their test cricket up there with the greatest test sides of all-time.

The other point to consider when looking at previous tours not being white-washes is that Australia score at around 4 an over these days, thus a draw is a less likely outcome than the 90s where they probably scored at around 2.8 to 3 runs an over.

Remember its also not uncommon these days for Australia to concede 400+ to a team when bowling first and still end up with a lead at the end of day 3. That wouldn't have happened often in previous years.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
I wouldn't start putting money on England unless I was getting odds of double that.

Let's look at it this way (one bit of stat analysis, then bed):

Each Test - England 25%, Draw 15%, Aus 60%
243 permutations of series results (3 different ways to the power 5)

Joint and cumulative probabilities calculating the probability of an Australian series win at 0.757, England at 0.132 and Draw at 0.111.

Intriguingly, the sets of odds selected give 3-1 and 4-1 to Australia as jointly most likely scores, with probablities of 0.162, or 5.17:1. A nil-nil draw is 13,168:1.

That's odds of 0.32:1, 6.60:1 and 7.97:1 respectively.

Feel free to suggest any other game percentages, to which I can model the result accordingly.
That assumes the Tests are independent which they aren't. Out of interest does anyone have the odds for previous Ashes series (that's before the series themselves before some smart alec comes up with odds of infinity for an England win)?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Scaly piscine said:
That assumes the Tests are independent which they aren't. Out of interest does anyone have the odds for previous Ashes series (that's before the series themselves before some smart alec comes up with odds of infinity for an England win)?
I did consider independence, but had neither the time nor inclination to devise a sensible set of formulae.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:
Undoubtably this is the best English side in the last 10-15 years and you won't get an argument from me against them clearly being the 2nd best test side in the world at the moment.

I just happen to rate this current Australian side with the way they play their test cricket up there with the greatest test sides of all-time.

The other point to consider when looking at previous tours not being white-washes is that Australia score at around 4 an over these days, thus a draw is a less likely outcome than the 90s where they probably scored at around 2.8 to 3 runs an over.

Remember its also not uncommon these days for Australia to concede 400+ to a team when bowling first and still end up with a lead at the end of day 3. That wouldn't have happened often in previous years.
I think that's pretty fair. England could be more competitive than in the last 2 Ashes series but still go down 5-0.

Link

State Vice-Captain
wpdavid said:
I think that's pretty fair. England could be more competitive than in the last 2 Ashes series but still go down 5-0.
i will eat my shoes if that happens,
do you know what, i will video it and put it on here

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
I've just noticed the one where he had that terrible injury is counted as a "poor" match - not sure on what basis that is?
especially considering that the wicket he took was the only wicket they took until the last few overs on that day.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Link said:
If you must. I'll happily take your word for it, if that's OK.

Top_Cat

especially considering that the wicket he took was the only wicket they took until the last few overs on that day.
Exactly. Counting that match as a 'poor' match when he only bowled 7 overs in the whole match due to a horrific knee injury and just about took the only wicket for the day is very poor form. Who's to say he wouldn'thave taken more wickets? Until his injury, he was certainly bowling well.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
I wouldn't start putting money on England unless I was getting odds of double that.

Let's look at it this way (one bit of stat analysis, then bed):

Each Test - England 25%, Draw 15%, Aus 60%
243 permutations of series results (3 different ways to the power 5)

Joint and cumulative probabilities calculating the probability of an Australian series win at 0.757, England at 0.132 and Draw at 0.111.

Intriguingly, the sets of odds selected give 3-1 and 4-1 to Australia as jointly most likely scores, with probablities of 0.162, or 5.17:1. A nil-nil draw is 13,168:1.

That's odds of 0.32:1, 6.60:1 and 7.97:1 respectively.

Feel free to suggest any other game percentages, to which I can model the result accordingly.
Without going into the calculations, I have similar sentiments on what are acceptable odds for England or conversely what are England's chances.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Link said:
Its highly unlikely that you'll have to but I wouldnt bet my life on it. I hope your shoes are well cooked :happy:

12th Man

U19 12th Man
Swervy said:
is there really any point in this poll..I would be shocked if ANYONE would pick anything other than an Australian series win.

Why not alter the poll to break it down into what score the end series result will be!!!
six against 29 ain't so bad