• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Americans Review the Pak/Ind WC Semi Match & Cricket in General

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We are told that the Punjab Cricket Association Stadium — the pride of Mohali, India and the site of this semifinal match — is "one of the great venues" in all of cricket. The shots of the stadium grounds make this statement seem like the rantings of a lunatic. The field is cracked and patchy and threadbare. It makes the Oakland Coliseum look like Roland Garros. This makes us sad for cricket. Whether we end up liking cricket or not, we are sure the sport deserves to have greater venues.
I've always wondered why Indian outfields look dry and dull on TV compared to Aus, Eng or NZ (love the dual colour scheme inside and outside the 30-yard circle) ones. Don't think it's as bad as TV makes it look.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Only 14 teams make the World Cup tournament, out of more than a hundred in contention. Only 20 teams, however, have ever played in a Cricket World Cup. This means that most of those hundred teams out there in the world are the equivalent of you and your buddies living in, say, Benin, saying "We know a bunch of dudes, let's learn how to play cricket and then see if we get a free trip to the World Cup even though we suck," a.k.a. The Jamaican Bobsled Gambit. Basically, for the most part, no one plays cricket. But the people who do, really, really care.

I assume that was only put in for irony points.

vcs

Just read the whole thing. Loved the rooting decision-tree part. :laugh:

Uppercut

That made me really, really want to be discovering cricket for the first time again.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nicely done :laugh:

i actually discovered it on Twitter last night, but didn't think it'd go that well over here.

juro

U19 12th Man
An excellent blog. They were humourous yet honest.

You can't really expect someone to fall in love with cricket just like that. If they had someone sit down and point out the finer details to them, rather than try to discover it all by themselves as they go along, thanks to what they see and wikipedia, they would have had a better chance of truly appreciating what they saw. But then, I don't think that was the purpose of their exercise...

slugger

State Vice-Captain
yeah most people dont learn cricket like that... there is always someone who knows more who passes on all the subtle parts of the game, like how to understand a players stats etc.