• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time best ODI team

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
No Vaas in an ODI lefties XI is a crime. Probably the 2nd best lefty ODI bowler.
In a pure lefties XI, Vaas would be there but at the same time in an all-time XI that just weakens Lefties XI. Hadlee and Ambrose were better bowlers and make it a more even contest, IMO!

viriya

International Captain
In a pure lefties XI, Vaas would be there but at the same time in an all-time XI that just weakens Lefties XI. Hadlee and Ambrose were better bowlers and make it a more even contest, IMO!
If you're talking pure ODI bowling careers, Vaas's record is better than both of them considering his era and longevity.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
As a batsman in an ODI game, who would rather not face? Ambrose, Hadlee, or Vaas?
Sure but the discussion was around a right hand vs left hand game. Surely the bowlers should bowl left arm in the left arm team.

Red

Today...

Tendulkar
M.Waugh
V.Richards
Jones
DeVilliers
Dhoni
Klusener
Wasim
Garner
Murali
Donald

Starting to feel Amla and Kohli deserve a spot.

Hashim Amla
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting
Virat Kohli
Viv Richards
MS Dhoni
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Joel Garner
Glenn McGrath

It's just how I feel today.

viriya

International Captain
As a batsman in an ODI game, who would rather not face? Ambrose, Hadlee, or Vaas?
Vaas was an ATG ODI bowler - I don't think it's as simple as picking Ambrose or Hadlee since they are obviously better overall bowlers.. It's hard to compare them considering the eras and career length differences.

A better question is probably Shaun Pollock or Hadlee/Ambrose in ODIs. I think Pollock should be an obvious choice.

Red

Pre ODI ODI team

Trumper
B.Richards
Sobers (5)
Hammond (5)
Miller (3) *
Harvey
Walcott +
Constantine (5)
Davidson (1)
Larwood (2)
Grimmett (4)

viriya

International Captain
Pre ODI ODI team

Trumper
B.Richards
Sobers (5)
Hammond (5)
Miller (3) *
Harvey
Walcott +
Constantine (5)
Davidson (1)
Larwood (2)
Grimmett (4)
Bradman SR >>>>> Hammond SR. Hammond just went ape**** when bashing minnows.

Only Viv, Pietersen, Sehwag, Gilchrist and Warner has had higher SRs in Tests (60+)..

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
This is my attempt at picking a team to beat other ATG teams in a 3 or 5 game series, not necessarily the best 11 ODI cricketers ever.

1 S Tendulkar
2 A Gilchrist
3 V Kohli
4 V Richards
5 AB de Villiers
6 G Maxwell
7 K Dev
8 W Akram
9 M Starc
10 J Garner
11 G McGrath
I'll take you on Noofers.

M. Waugh
B. Lara
R. Ponting
D. Jones
MS. Dhoni
A. Symonds
S. Pollock
R. Hadlee
S. Warne
W. Younis
A. Donald
Triangular Series?

01. Matthew Hayden
02. Sanath Jayasuriya
03. Kumar Sangakkara
04. Aravinda De Silva
05. Michael Bevan
06. Andrew Flintoff
07. Michael Hussey
08. Imran Khan
09. Michael Holding
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Muttiah Muralitharan
Make it an awkward quadrangular series?

1. H Amla
2. T Dilshan
3. J Kallis
4. D Martyn
5. J Rhodes
6. M Boucher+
7. L Klusener
8. C Vaas
9. B Lee
10. S Mushtaq
11. S Bond

Hmm maybe keep it a tri-series

watson

Banned
Vaas was an ATG ODI bowler - I don't think it's as simple as picking Ambrose or Hadlee since they are obviously better overall bowlers.. It's hard to compare them considering the eras and career length differences.

A better question is probably Shaun Pollock or Hadlee/Ambrose in ODIs. I think Pollock should be an obvious choice.
Depends on the makeup and context of the team.

Because I have selected Garner, Murali, and McGrath at 9,10,11 for my team I need a good bowling allrounder like Pollock at No.8 to balance the lower order even though I prefer Ambrose as a pure bowler. However, if your attack already consisted of Kapil Dev, Vaas, Akram, and Saqlain (for example) then a fast right-arm bowler like Ambrose is just about mandatory. Pollock would be too pedestrian and therefore not suit the team.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
Depends on the makeup and context of the team.

Because I have selected Garner, Murali, and McGrath at 9,10,11 for my team I need a good bowling allrounder like Pollock at No.8 to balance the lower order even though I prefer Ambrose as a pure bowler. However, if your attack already consisted of Kapil Dev, Vaas, Akram, and Saqlain (for example) then a fast right-arm bowler like Ambrose is just about mandatory. Pollock would be too pedestrian and therefore not suit the team.
I think you're taking Test success too much into account to make it seem like Ambrose > Pollock as a bowler is a no-brainer. Pollock's ODI bowling career is only 2nd to McGrath's when it comes to pace bowlers imo.

midge

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Not with a left arm pre-requisite he aint.
What if he is unable to sustain his form like those guys have for most part of their career? Would you still consider him for an all time best team simply because he is a left-arm?

midge

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
That's really not fair on Shakib - he can't choose his opposition. He never gets to play vs his own team either lol.
The point that I am trying to make is that the those two guys have performed against better teams, which is a reflection of their talent. Not saying Shakib is not talented, but unless he does it against the big boys, he will not be counted in the same league.

watson

Banned
Pre ODI ODI team

Trumper
B.Richards
Sobers (5)
Hammond (5)
Miller (3) *
Harvey
Walcott +
Constantine (5)
Davidson (1)
Larwood (2)
Grimmett (4)
Never Played a LO game Pre ODI XI

01. Conrad Hunte
02. Warren Bardsley
03. Don Bradman
04. Ted Dexter (6)
05. John R Reid (5)
06. Frank Woolley (7)
07. Les Ames
08. Amar Singh (3)
09. Ray Lindwall (1)
10. Fred Trueman (2)
11. Bill O'Reilly (4)

Note: From memory, Bardsley's Test SR has been estimated at around 68. So he's in.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Wasim, surely
Just for interest - the 'ICC Best Ever ODI Championship Rating' top 5 bowlers are;

1. Joel Garner - 940 points, Apr 1985
2. Richard Hadlee - 923 points, Jun 1983
3. Shaun Pollock - 917 points, Feb 2007
4. Muttiah Muralitharan - 913, Feb 2002
5. Glenn McGrath - 903 points, Jun 2002

(Note: According to the ICC all ODI games prior to the peak rating are taken into consideration. That is, the points are accumilative.)

Wasim Akram comes in 14th with 851 points, Oct 1994

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just for interest - the 'ICC Best Ever ODI Championship Rating' top 5 bowlers are;

1. Joel Garner - 940 points, Apr 1985
2. Richard Hadlee - 923 points, Jun 1983
3. Shaun Pollock - 917 points, Feb 2007
4. Muttiah Muralitharan - 913, Feb 2002
5. Glenn McGrath - 903 points, Jun 2002

(Note: According to the ICC all ODI games prior to the peak rating are taken into consideration. That is, the points are accumilative.)

Wasim Akram comes in 14th with 851 points, Oct 1994
Personally don't think the ICC peak ratings are of much use for ranking players tbh.

watson

Banned
Personally don't think the ICC peak ratings are of much use for ranking players tbh.
The following study gives a specific bowler a ranking by creating a 'Ratio' according to the following formula;

'Ratio' = (Overall Ave x Overall SR for Bowler's Era) / (Bowler's Ave x Bowler's SR)

The top 10 ODI bowlers across eras after the appropriate adjustment are;

01. Joel Garner 2.03
02. Glenn McGrath 1.76
03. Richard Hadlee 1.76
04. Shane Bond 1.74
05. Shaun Pollock 1.69
06. Muttiah Muralitharan 1.68
07. Curtly Ambrose 1.66
08. Michael Holding 1.66
09. Allan Donald 1.62
10. Andy Roberts 1.60

Stats from the Past: The best ODI bowlers from across eras | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Of course these Stats are overly broad because they do not take into account longevity or 'impact', and Akram played a whopping 356 matches and was an absolute legend in the World Cup. However, the stats do imply that other great bowlers were more consistent during their careers. For example, with respect to Average and SR Joel Garner was twice as successful as all other ODI bowlers.

Bottom line - it's a close run thing between Akram and Pollock.

Last edited: