• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time best ODI team

watson

Banned
This would be an epic series to watch. Even though maxwell is on my team and I picked him for a reason, he sure looks out of place from a historical point of view
It's interesting to speculate how Ambrose and Holding would react to Glen Maxwell's 'antics', especially Ambrose. I think that they would both be initially bemused, but after an over or two their bemusement would quickly turn into violent irritation - "to hell with run rate let's just knock his head off" sort of thing.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Dean Jones opened only a couple of times in ODIs and never in Tests, so he's a little out of place there. Tendulkar and Lara look good together. You need another batsman to make up the 11, so how about ABDV at 4? Garner should stay just where he is I reckon.
He's got Jones at #3 mate.

midge

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It's interesting to speculate how Ambrose and Holding would react to Glen Maxwell's 'antics', especially Ambrose. I think that they would both be initially bemused, but after an over or two their bemusement would quickly turn into violent irritation - "to hell with run rate let's just knock his head off" sort of thing.
I think Maxwell would struggle, especially if he starts facing chin music. We saw what Wahab Riaz did to him in the WC.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maxwell's strike rate against Wahab during the World Cup was 166.66
he was dropped first ball against him and that looking away cut shot he hit for four later on shouldn't count as runs because it's just wrong.

but when maxwell wasn't trying to be too adventurous he played wahab alright tbf.

midge

I think we need to put things in perspective to understand the whole thing. Wahab was let down big time by his mates. Had that catch been taken, it would have been a different story. The cut which he played without looking at the ball tells a different story. It's clear that he doesn't like the short ball, especially when it comes at high speed and cramps the batsman for room.

When defending a low total, someone bowls his heart out, but the team keeps dropping catches, and gives easy runs to the opposition, it's going to have an impact on the psyche of the bowler. On one hand, the required runs come down, and the pressure on the batsman eases, on the other hand, it affects the morale of the bowler, and he loses his aggressiveness. This is what happened to Wahab when he came for the second spell. While he was not in the same spirits, Maxwell had gained in confidence. That's when Wahab went for a few runs. If he had the luxury of Australian fielding, at the time when Aussies were under real pressure, he would have easily got under their skin. His final figures don't tell how difficult time he gave to the Aussies.

viriya

International Captain
Sachin Tendulkar
Hashim Amla
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Viv Richards
AB de Villiers
MS Dhoni (c)
Shakib Al Hasan
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

Daemon

Sachin Tendulkar
Hashim Amla
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Viv Richards
AB de Villiers
MS Dhoni (c)
Shakib Al Hasan
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath
Great team!

Keep them coming guys!

midge

Sachin Tendulkar
Hashim Amla
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Viv Richards
AB de Villiers
MS Dhoni (c)
Shakib Al Hasan
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath
I would prefer a Symonds/Klusener/Freddie in place of Shakib, Have AB keep the wickets and get Kallis in to strengthen the bowling & batting. Also, would like to see Viv at 3, Kallis at 4, followed by AB at 5.

viriya

International Captain
I would prefer a Symonds/Klusener/Freddie in place of Shakib, Have AB keep the wickets and get Kallis in to strengthen the bowling & batting. Also, would like to see Viv at 3, Kallis at 4, followed by AB at 5.
Shakib is a better all-rounder than all three of them and will bowl his 10 overs so there are 5 front line bowlers already with sachin, viv and ab helping if necessary.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Shakib's bowling falls to pieces the moment he steps outside Bangladesh. I wouldn't entrust him even 5 overs in an ATG ODI XI context.

midge

Shakib is a better all-rounder than all three of them and will bowl his 10 overs so there are 5 front line bowlers already with sachin, viv and ab helping if necessary.
He hasn't been too impressive against top teams. More, so we are talking about an "All Time Best ODI team," so people who have performed consistently for a very long time get preference.

OverratedSanity

Shakib's not even close to those 3 in ODIs. His record is massively boosted by Zimbabwe.

In tests, he's better than all of them.

viriya

International Captain
Shakib's bowling falls to pieces the moment he steps outside Bangladesh. I wouldn't entrust him even 5 overs in an ATG ODI XI context.
Flintoff and Klusener both bowl (and bat) worse away from home like Shakib so it's not just him.

He hasn't been too impressive against top teams. More, so we are talking about an "All Time Best ODI team," so people who have performed consistently for a very long time get preference.
Both Flintoff and Klusener do worse when considering just top 8 opposition. Shakib has also played more ODIs than Flintoff already so it's not a longevity issue.

Lolling at the suggestion there's been a better ODI allrounder than Flintoff.
Shakib's not even close to those 3 in ODIs. His record is massively boosted by Zimbabwe.
I can see why you would pick Flintoff or Klusener over Shakib in ODIs. Symonds was barely a bowler to be considered an all-rounder though. Flintoff and Klusener were both good enough to be selected just for one of the disciplines just like Shakib.

One thing I think is ignored is that he performs with both bat and ball at the same time consistently than any of those players.

Last edited:

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
Sachin Tendulkar
Hashim Amla
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Viv Richards
AB de Villiers
MS Dhoni (c)
Shakib Al Hasan
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath
I think you are one of the only ones that agrees with those selections.