• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time best ODI team

midge

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
My chasing XI would be:

Gilchrist
Sehwag
Ponting
Kohli
Bevan
Dhoni
Klusener
Akram
Ambrose
McGrath
Murali

And the ATG Setting up XI:

Gayle
Tendulkar
Richards
ABDV
Hussey
Symonds
S. Pollock
Lee
Saqlain
Waqar
Holding

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Are you saying at No. 3? If it is so, then yes, we know that. He is perfect for No. 3 slot. I personally feel, for an opener, we need someone else. Lara is perfect at No. 3.
IIRC, Lara is the only opener other than Tendulkar and Amla who has scored 2000+ runs @ 45+ with a SR of 80+ while opening.

midge

IIRC, Lara is the only opener other than Tendulkar and Amla who has scored 2000+ runs @ 45+ with a SR of 80+ while opening.
For most part of his career have seen him bat at 3 or 4; haven't seen him open the innings. But checked the stats, and I must say, his record is impressive. Agree with you, he will be a good choice for an opener. Thanks for sharing the info!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah Lara's one of those ones who you watch play, check the stats and ask yourself "why the **** didn't he open more?"

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
CBFd checking stats but he must've opened a bit against Aus because I remember him opening a fair bit

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This is my attempt at picking a team to beat other ATG teams in a 3 or 5 game series, not necessarily the best 11 ODI cricketers ever.

1 S Tendulkar
2 A Gilchrist
3 V Kohli
4 V Richards
5 AB de Villiers
6 G Maxwell
7 K Dev
8 W Akram
9 M Starc
10 J Garner
11 G McGrath

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar
Jayasuriya
Ponting*
Richards
Bevan
Dhoni+
Klusener
Wasim
Garner
Muralitharan
McGrath

watson

Banned
This is my attempt at picking a team to beat other ATG teams in a 3 or 5 game series, not necessarily the best 11 ODI cricketers ever.

1 S Tendulkar
2 A Gilchrist
3 V Kohli
4 V Richards
5 AB de Villiers
6 G Maxwell
7 K Dev
8 W Akram
9 M Starc
10 J Garner
11 G McGrath
From 1978 to 1994 Kapil Dev averaged 24 and maintained a Strike Rate of 95 over 225 ODIs. No other batsman's SR comes close from that era with the exception of Viv Richards who struck at 91.

From 1978 to 1994 No's 1 to 7 in the batting order averaged 29 and had a Strike Rate of 66 (Statsguru). By comparison Kapil's record makes him one of best ODI hitters of all time, and it wouldn't even be out of place in 2015.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah Watson, without knowing 66 was the exact average SR from that period, it is one of the major reasons why I picked Dev. I know Klusener is a popular choice and he is a good choice no doubt, but I think with my team, especially the top 5, I don't really need a 40 average guy like Klusener as I expect Dev to come out after the 40th over almost always.

So. he is going to be batting 30 balls (approx) tops and batting very quickly. I also feel his bowling is slightly ahead of Klusener too. Dev of course isn't the worst batsmen coming out in a crisis, although I don't expect my team to be 5/17 often..

The hardest part of the team is working out the bowling order, I'm not certain of the best order tbh.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Yeah Watson, without knowing 66 was the exact average SR from that period, it is one of the major reasons why I picked Dev. I know Klusener is a popular choice and he is a good choice no doubt, but I think with my team, especially the top 5, I don't really need a 40 average guy like Klusener as I expect Dev to come out after the 40th over almost always.

So. he is going to be batting 30 balls (approx) tops and batting very quickly. I also feel his bowling is slightly ahead of Klusener too. Dev of course isn't the worst batsmen coming out in a crisis, although I don't expect my team to be 5/17 often..

The hardest part of the team is working out the bowling order, I'm not certain of the best order tbh.
With those front line bowlers I don't think the order matters too much, although Garner is probably the best bowler for the last 10 overs. Kapil seems weaker compared to the rest but he was still a top 10 80s ODI bowler if the following stats are anything to go by;

Stats from the Past: The best ODI bowlers from across eras | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

In recent years especially, spin bowlers have proven their worth in both ODI and T20 cricket. I think that there is a place for an ATG spinner in any ATG LO side.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

1 S Tendulkar
2 A Gilchrist
3 V Kohli
4 V Richards
5 AB de Villiers
6 G Maxwell
7 K Dev
8 W Akram
9 M Starc
10 J Garner
11 G McGrath
I'll take you on Noofers.

M. Waugh
B. Lara
R. Ponting
D. Jones
MS. Dhoni
A. Symonds
S. Pollock
R. Hadlee
S. Warne
W. Younis
A. Donald

Debris

International 12th Man

1 S Tendulkar
2 A Gilchrist
3 V Kohli
4 V Richards
5 AB de Villiers
6 G Maxwell
7 K Dev
8 W Akram
9 M Starc
10 J Garner
11 G McGrath
I see you have gone for the super tall XI. Tendulkar and Kohli only ones under 180 cm?

watson

Banned

M. Waugh
B. Lara
R. Ponting
D. Jones
MS. Dhoni
A. Symonds
S. Pollock
R. Hadlee
S. Warne
W. Younis
A. Donald
Triangular Series?

01. Matthew Hayden
02. Sanath Jayasuriya
03. Kumar Sangakkara
04. Aravinda De Silva
05. Michael Bevan
06. Andrew Flintoff
07. Michael Hussey
08. Imran Khan
09. Michael Holding
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

M. Waugh
B. Lara
R. Ponting
D. Jones
MS. Dhoni
A. Symonds
S. Pollock
R. Hadlee
S. Warne
W. Younis
A. Donald
Triangular Series?

01. Matthew Hayden
02. Sanath Jayasuriya
03. Kumar Sangakkara
04. Aravinda De Silva
05. Michael Bevan
06. Andrew Flintoff
07. Michael Hussey
08. Imran Khan
09. Michael Holding
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Muttiah Muralitharan
This would be an epic series to watch. Even though maxwell is on my team and I picked him for a reason, he sure looks out of place from a historical point of view

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I see you have gone for the super tall XI. Tendulkar and Kohli only ones under 180 cm?
Overall the team might be seen as tall I guess but not by design at all. I don't consider Maxwell or ABDV tall at all. I'm 190-192cm which might be why.

Last edited:

midge

SRT
Lara
Jones
IVAR(c)
Bevan
MSD+
Flintoff
Akram
Saqlain
Garner
McGrath
Great side, though I would love to make a couple of changes. AB/ Ponting in place of Jones & a holding/Donald in place of Garner.

watson

Banned
SRT
Lara
Jones
IVAR(c)
Bevan
MSD+
Flintoff
Akram
Saqlain
Garner
McGrath
Dean Jones opened only a couple of times in ODIs and never in Tests, so he's a little out of place there. Tendulkar and Lara look good together. You need another batsman to make up the 11, so how about ABDV at 4? Garner should stay just where he is I reckon.

Last edited: