• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Australia Draft

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
I'll finish my team with the all action all rounder from the Invincibles - Sam Loxton. No Aussie side is complete with an aggressive counter attacking coming down the order. :D

An aggressive right-handed all-rounder, Loxton tended to bat in the middle-order, and bowled after the new ball pacemen. As well as being a belligerent batsman, he was a right-arm fast-medium swing bowler known for his ability to move the ball, and a powerful outfielder. He had a strong arm and exploited his power frequently, to the extent that the Australian wicket-keeper Don Tallon complained about the jarring impact of his unnecessarily strong throws when the batsmen were already home and no run out was possible. Loxton was known for his energetic and aggressive approach to cricket, and liked to attack and intimidate opposition batsmen. In one match in the late-1950s, he bowled an eight-ball over at New South Welshman Norm O'Neill consisting entirely of bouncers aimed at the upper body. Loxton was not afraid of opposition bowlers doing the same to him; he had a penchant for trying to hook bouncers out of the ground. He was a predominantly back-foot player whose initial foot-movement tended to be back and towards and then across the stumps. When he committed to a back foot shot, Loxton often made such a decisive retreat that he almost stepped onto his stumps. One painter once captured the Victorian almost disturbing the woodwork with his right leg, leading Loxton to quip "That's what I call using the crease". Hassett said that his fellow Victorian "really used to give everything he had all the time... Put him on to bowl and he'd bowl his hardest, no matter how he felt."

Bradman said that Loxton "never shirked the issue" and that "he’d throw himself into it with everything he had. This is one of the reasons he was a great team man. You could call on him at any stage and he’d give you his very best." Bradman said that the Victorian all-rounder "was never a great cricketer in the sense that some others were great, but he was a very good player and what he lacked in ability he made up for in effort". He further added that the Victorian was "the very essence of belligerence...His whole attitude suggests defiance and when he hits the ball it is the music of a sledgehammer."

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
That gives me a final XI of:

Aldo's Men Down Under

01. Mark Taylor
02. Geoff Marsh
03. Ian Chappell [*]
04. Stan McCabe
05. Steve Waugh [5]
06. Sam Loxton [6]
07. Dan Tallon [+]
08. Hugh Trumble [4]
09. Damien Fleming [3]
10. Peter Siddle [2]
11. Glenn McGrath [1]

Complimentary opening pair of the unplayable McGrath and the workhorse Siddle with a first change in Fleming whose ability to move the ball led to decisive spells. A true master of spin bowling in Trumble following them with the likes of Waugh, Loxton and McCabe being used to give them a break when needed.

With the bat, a familiar opening pair of Taylor and Marsh followed by a pretty strong middle order comprising of grit, style, unforgettable knocks and the ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck in Chappelli, McCabe and Tugga. Aggressive hard hitting Loxton and his fellow Invincible and one of the greatest keepers the nation has seen in Don Tallon completing the batting order, with Trumble no mug with the bat either.

Quite satisfied, overall.

kingkallis

International Coach
Taber to keep wickets for my team!

CricZo XI

1. Bill Lawry /
2. Bill Woodfull /
3. David Boon /
4. Ian Redpath /
5. Dean Jones /
6. Greg Matthews / o
7. Richie Benaud o / (c)
8. Alan Davidson o /
9. Ray Lindwall o /
10. Brian Taber + /
11. Rodney Hogg o

Camo999

State 12th Man
Round 11

jimmy101 - Ted McDonald
Shady Slim - Michael Bevan
Zinzan - Adam Voges
kingkallis - Brian Taber
mr_mister - Alan Fairfax
AldoRaine18 - Sam Loxton
Camo999
Teuton
morgeib
The Battlers Prince

Cool, it is my go.

Last edited:

Camo999

State 12th Man
Brian Booth if he's still available.

Sid Barnes
Archie Jackson
Usman Khawaja
Allan Border
Warwick Armstrong 5
Brian Booth
Mitchell Johnson 3
+Jack Blackham
Merv Hughes 1
Clarrie Grimmett 4
JJ Ferris 2

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Ahh, spend ages contemplating between him and Loxton. Still not sure whether I made the correct choice to be honest.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Righto, Bradman mark II it is then... Adam Voges, and because since he's Don Jr, he's batting at 3...

Reasonably happy overall...

Sloppy seconds XI

1. Arthur Morris
2. Chris Rogers
3. Adam Voges
4. Greg Chappell
5. Doug Walters
6. Damien Martyn
7. Brad Haddin+
8. Brett Lee
9. Joey Palmer
10.Jason Gillespie
11.Dennis Lillee
3. Chappell
4. Martyn
5. Walters
6. Voges

Shady Slim

International Coach
final team is in with clarke and watto swapped

"GR4aBFA" XI
1. Justin Langer
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Kepler Wessels
4. Michael Clarke*
5. Shane Watson (5)
6. Michael Bevan (6)
7. Rod Marsh+
8. Mitchell Starc (2)
9. Andy Bichel (3)
10. Bill O'Reilly (4)
11. Jeff Thomson (1)

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
3. Chappell
4. Martyn
5. Walters
6. Voges
Cheers, mate. Chappell did bat 38 times at 3, so will do that.

Sloppy seconds XI

1. Arthur Morris
2. Chris Rogers
3. Greg Chappell
4. Damien Martyn
5. Doug Walters
6. Adam Voges
7. Brad Haddin+
8. Brett Lee
9. Joey Palmer
10.Jason Gillespie
11.Dennis Lillee

Teuton

International Captain
So my final XI is:

1. David Warner
2. Herbie Collins
3. Clem Hill
4. Norm O'Neill
5. Graham Yallop
6. Adam Gilchrist +
7. Monty Noble *
8. George Giffen
9. Graham McKenzie
10. Bill Whitty
11. Charlie Turner

I'm very happy with this team. The batting lineup is based around 2 of the most successfully aggressive batsmen in cricket history in Warner and Gilchrist with 2 other gun stroke players in the middle order in Hill & O'Neill with patient support from Collins and Yallop who scored more than their fair share of centuries. The batting line-up is completed by 2 great allrounders of the early days in Noble and Giffen at 7 & 8 which provides excellent depth, and there are no bunnies at the end either.

Noble and Giffen also form my spin attack, Alongside Charlie Turner i have 3 of the first 4 Australians to reach 100 wickets. Turner was an absolute gun of his era with nearly 6 wickets per match across a reasonable amount of matches for those times. His opening partner is Graham McKenzie who finished up only 2 wickets short of the Australian record despite retiring before the age of 30. Bill Whitty took 65 wickets @ 21, before he was halted by WWI and provides left arm variety at first change.

With 6 test captains i have plenty of options but will go with Noble who, despite appearing to be an early adopter of hair product according to his cricinfo profile pic, won 8 tests and lost 2.

I should also say how much i enjoyed my first draft game and am looking forward to assessing who gets the votes and then more draft games.

morgieb

For my last pick, will go Charlie Kelleway.

1. Bob Simpson * (6)
2. Warren Bardsley
3. Simon Katich (7)
4. Neil Harvey
5. Peter Burge
6. Charles Kelleway (5)
7. Ian Healy +
8. Shane Warne (4)
9. Ryan Harris (1)
10. Ernie Toshack (3)
11. Bruce Reid (2)

Pretty solid that. Harvey and Simpson are the main guns in the batting lineup, with Katich and Bardsley also being quality batsmen. Where it shines however is the bowling attack. 2 injury-prone but superstar quicks, Australia's best spinner of all-time, a medium-pacer who could work off the 3 guns and has a great record himsef, and 3 pretty handy 5/6th bowling options for when Harris and Reid inevitably break down (:p). Add Australia's second best keeper/batsman of all-time and you've got yourself a good lineup.

Zinzan

I suppose I should give a wee review of mine. Not my best draft effort, but not terrible either...

Sloppy seconds XI

1. Arthur Morris
2. Chris Rogers
3. Greg Chappell
4. Damien Martyn
5. Doug Walters
6. Adam Voges
7. Brad Haddin+
8. Brett Lee
9. Joey Palmer
10.Jason Gillespie
11.Dennis Lillee

Pace bowling is probably the strength with Lillee and Dizzy sharing the new ball, with the fire of Brett Lee at first change, followed by the crafty 'quick' spin of Joey Palmer, who took 78 test wickets @ 21 & according to cricinfo was "considered a must-have on pitches which favoured batsmen and almost unplayable on ones which favoured bowlers.". Batting has a solid look about it with strength all the way down to Brad the *** Haddin averaging 32 at number 7. 2 batsmen in Morris and Greg Chappell who seem to make most all-time Australian test XIs and the very solid middle order of the classy Damien Martyn and the legendary Doughy Walters.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Little Aussie Battler's
1. Jack Fingleton
2. Joe Darling (c)
3. Charles Macartney (6)
4. Lindsay Hassett
5. Mike Hussey
6. Keith Miller (3)
7. Andrew Symonds (5)
8. Bert Oldfield+
9. Stuart Clark (2)
10. Frederick Spofforth (1)
11. Bert Ironmonger (4)

All Aussie Adventures
Time to hit the road...

(Say something remarkable about selected team here)

Last edited: