• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aggressively Vocal On-Field Players - Yay or Nay?

What's your take on banter?

• Total voters

Loony BoB

International Captain
What's your opinion on cricketers like Andre Nel? Do you think it's good for the game, or bad?

I like it, personally. I'd possibly like it a lot less if I actually knew what was being said, but on TV, it's something a little more exciting to watch. Akhtar and Langer was probably a bit less vocal than Nel to Thorpe, but it also only lasted a few overs at most, which is a small amount for a full day of cricket. I'd love for microphones to pick it all up, as it would help umpires (and the public to a lesser extent) moderate what players say and also cause players to watch their mouth to some extent (as in the infamous words between Sarwan and McGrath - I doubt they'd have said all that if they knew the whole world would have heard it), but we'd still get to hear a few less-extreme digs (the banter rather than the blaspheme, such as digs at players who are in bad form and the like). It'd probably get a few more people watching cricket, too!

Your opinion?

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
got no problem with anything that's said or done on a cricket field as long as

1) There is no racism

2) There is nothing physically threatening (I.e. shouting or finger pointing)

3) Hands are shaken at the end of the game and a beer afterwards is enjoyed in good spirits.

Outside of racism there are no limits IMO.

Mind you, saying things like "I'm gonna **** on your harder than i ****ed your mum last night" is hardly good sledging as only very thin skinned batsmen would let that get into their heads.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I like the way Akhtar does it; I do not like the way Nel does it.

You can always tell Akhtar's actions are in good spirits (most of the time), whereas Andre Nel really does seem to regard the batsman with disdain. Having said that, I think Danish Kaneria is another one who could do with an attitude makeover.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Andre Nel is clearly a stroker, but a bit of "banter" I'm all for.

The best one I heard when playing was when I was the non-striker (having come in @ 9), our no 11 (Darren) was a complete rabbit & worse gutless too (I couldn't abide the bloke, but he was a team-mate, so what can you do?). He never fancied quick-ish stuff & used to back away.

The bowler was, I guess, mid-late 30s but still brisk (for my level) and had a real, proper Fen accent (which is v yokel for non-UK readers). He bounced Darren who backed away to leg cringing, exposing all his stumps. The bowler said,

"If you get any further over to square leg my old beauty, I reckon you're gonna slip on your own sh*t!" :D

The only one not laughing was Darren!

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Black Thunder said:
got no problem with anything that's said or done on a cricket field as long as

1) There is no racism

2) There is nothing physically threatening (I.e. shouting or finger pointing)

3) Hands are shaken at the end of the game and a beer afterwards is enjoyed in good spirits.

Outside of racism there are no limits IMO.

Mind you, saying things like "I'm gonna **** on your harder than i ****ed your mum last night" is hardly good sledging as only very thin skinned batsmen would let that get into their heads.

Totally agree. Must all be in good spirit at the end. But i like some exchanging of words

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nel stepped the line today, where it just became pointless and unpleasant.. After all who's he to be having a go at an established guy like Thorpe when he can't even get in the regular XI?

I've got no problem with heat of the moment stuff between two champions like Donald v Atherton. After all raw agression like that was initally what fuelled my interest for cricket, and my immense admiration for AAD. As long as it stays good off the field, and you don't get that crap the Aussies come up with where they try and break down a player before he is even on the field..

As for the McGrath esque ***ual references, I find that absolutely disgusting whether it is on the cricket field or off it.. To the "I had you mum last night jibe" I always reply with "But my mum is dead" Serves them bloody well right..

Langeveldt

Soutie
GoT_SpIn said:
You say ur mum is dead... :blink:
Yeah, if they want to be that offensive at me, I'll do my best to demean them and make them feel so small and embarresed its unreal.. Even if it does mean lieing..

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I always really enjoy it when a bowler has something to say... particulary if the batsman then, hypothetically, turns his back on him. Really cracks me up, that.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
i've just seen a highlight of Nel attempting to hurl the ball at thorpe and i thought Thorpe (and all those standing behind him , Boucher etc.) were lucky Nel didn't release the ball. It would probaly have hit someone on the boundary without them picking it up.

now, that is crossing the line as Langevelt said and it has really reduced the little respect i have for nel.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
but i do like Steyn's glare just before he turns to walk back to his mark. I am impressed with harmison in that he doesn't seeem to give off any Banter, just turns and walks back to his mark despite the fact that he is 6ft7 and bowls 90mph.

I like aggression in cricket, but it should be controlled aggression.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nel's an idiot.

However I do like banter and the bowler taking it to the batsman. Akhtar is brilliant at it, and his battle with Langer was great to watch. You could tell it was all in the spirit of the game.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
I didn't see any of what Nel did, but I know what he's like and I don't really like him. Simon Jones is another one. The way he says things to Kallis the rarem few times Kallis would play and miss.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You'd think Andre Nel would have learned by now. He's been out with injury for so long - lot's of 'him time'.

The commentators said that he's actually a really nice guy off the field. Especially after today, I can't see how that could be so.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jono said:
Nel's an idiot.

However I do like banter and the bowler taking it to the batsman. Akhtar is brilliant at it, and his battle with Langer was great to watch. You could tell it was all in the spirit of the game.
Like the man said.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The commentators said that he's actually a really nice guy off the field. Especially after today, I can't see how that could be so.
Happens with loads of people.. It is easy to let the pressures of cricket totally get to you while on the field..
I myself am known as being a nice guy who turns into a moody selfish pr*ck when I am batting and bowling.. Its just reacting differently to a situation.. I hope it is this way around and not the other as well!