• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adam Voges average watch

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Is Voges the worst batsman to average over 50 in 19 innings? I can't think of many who have played as many matches against a joke of a bowling attack. The best bowlers he's faced in his career are Anderson, Broad, Southee and Boult.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Voges the worst batsman to average over 50 in 19 innings? I can't think of many who have played as many matches against a joke of a bowling attack. The best bowlers he's faced in his career are Anderson, Broad, Southee and Boult.
That must be why every batsman these days averages 100+ against current bowlers.

oh wait

horrific post

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
That must be why every batsman these days averages 100+ against current bowlers.
When you take into context his vast first class experience, Voges only need apply himself and the runs will come against the likes of the West Indies. I've got to give him credit for averaging 500 against them.

TheJediBrah

When you take into context his vast first class experience, Voges only need apply himself and the runs will come against the likes of the West Indies. I've got to give him credit for averaging 500 against them.
How come Joe Root couldn't average 500 against WI?

Is he the worst batsman in history to average over 50?

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
completely irrelevant to the discussion
How? I find it to be a major factor in Voges' favour as it was in Hussey's. Making your debut when you're older than 30 means you've had over two decades to learn your own game and this can only be an advantage.

Voges career has been within a perfect storm: loads of experience before test debut, poor to okay bowling attacks in most of his test matches and played his tests on flat pitches for the most part. I see your point that it's quite an achievement to not throw it away even if he's being served regular pies on a featherbed. That's where the old head and experience comes it, he's executed those shots potentially thousands of times more than Root has because he had a ten year headstart.

TheJediBrah

How? I find it to be a major factor in Voges' favour as it was in Hussey's. Making your debut when you're older than 30 means you've had over two decades to learn your own game and this can only be an advantage.

Voges career has been within a perfect storm: loads of experience before test debut, poor to okay bowling attacks in most of his test matches and played his tests on flat pitches for the most part. I see your point that it's quite an achievement to not throw it away even if he's being served regular pies on a featherbed. That's where the old head and experience comes it, he's executed those shots potentially thousands of times more than Root has because he had a ten year headstart.
Age and experience has no influence on how the perception of how "good" a batsman is. If someone is better or worse than that's that, you don't take off imaginary points because he's more experienced.

If the discussion was about who has more "potential" or who is going to be better at their peak or some such then your point might have had some relevance. But it certainly wasn't.

Flem274*

123/5
i wish i could be the worst batsman to average over 50 by so much it's two 50s

i mean i think he's a jammy **** who would normally have a decent career with plenty of home track bullying and hopefully a lot less lady luck but as much as he looks like he should be a sitting duck to lbw and caught behind, he's scored loads of runs and any australian that doesn't open his mouth but still makes me want him to cop a beamer or three must be doing something pretty spectacular, and despite calling him a hack several times in the nicest possible bitter way i don't deny he can play a bit.

i don't think this post contained enough full stops.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
If someone is better or worse than that's that, you don't take off imaginary points because he's more experienced.
I'm not taking points off because he's experienced. I'm taking points off because he averaged under 30 against the only decent attack he's faced. I recognise that it takes a huge amount of ability to plunder the runs he has as players get out to bad balls all the time.

cnerd123

likes this
I'm not taking points off because he's experienced. I'm taking points off because he averaged under 30 against the only decent attack he's faced. I recognise that it takes a huge amount of ability to plunder the runs he has as players get out to bad balls all the time.
Southee and Boult are very decent

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Southee and Boult are very decent
Nonetheless, they still bowled horribly in Australia. I saw a couple of their good spells but they were few and far between and didn't take many wickets. Boult bowled a lot of pies during that tour and his economy was atrocious.

i don't know how either has bowled in this match.

Compton

International Debutant
:laugh:

Yeah Voges really tucking in against hacks like Southee and Boult. That pair are always letting batsman score runs for fun.

cnerd123

likes this
Nonetheless, they still bowled horribly in Australia. I saw a couple of their good spells but they were few and far between and didn't take many wickets. Boult bowled a lot of pies during that tour and his economy was atrocious.

i don't know how either has bowled in this match.
The fact is Voges can only score runs against whats put against him.

No one will disagree with you if you say he isn't really a 100-averaging quality batsman. No one will deny he's had great circumstances to achieve this feat. And he may well be the worst batsman to average 50 in Tests after 19 innings; and if not, he definitely is the worst batsman to average a 100.

Having said all that it's really disrespectful to write him off. He still had to score those runs. He has still outperformed his team mates. He still had to bat bloody well. This is a fantastic achievement, and we should be praising him instead of slagging him off for achieving it.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Not a hack! He's a mature guy who knows his game well and knows how to build innings and bat to tempo (and make the most of a break). Lots of parallels with MHussey in those things.

When I watch Voges, I see a guy who should average around 38-42. He has that look about him. But seriously, good on him. He's making the absolute most of a late career chance.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
His biggest Test(s) have come against England and he's pretty well failed in them.

Good luck to him, good player who has taken his opportunities (apart from the above). I think most of us agree with a full sample size, he'd be about a 40 per innings operator with a few dine-outs on weaker teams. And 40 is meritorious.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd be amused if he retired after this game - would think most Australians will be apoplectic with rage if he does, and accuse him of sacrilege and blasphemy