• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers expected to retire from tests

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This was before my time, but I'm lead to believe Martin Crowe signed up and was then harassed because some members didn't believe him

Mods had to step in and verify his identity, but I think he had enough by that point and left the site.

Anyone else can verify this?
The kiwaahs were responsible iirc

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This was before my time, but I'm lead to believe Martin Crowe signed up and was then harassed because some members didn't believe him

Mods had to step in and verify his identity, but I think he had enough by that point and left the site.

Anyone else can verify this?

Replace mods with James and that's pretty much it. The thread should be there in the archives.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I do not agree with this. Playing for your country in test cricket is the pinnacle of our sport and the greatest honour to be bestowed on a player.
Cool, I'm going too cancel my mortgage Direct Debit and tell the bank I'll be paying with honour. Should go down well, right?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Too bad it went down the way it did too. He was just beginning to answer my questions on his experiences at IPL. As you can imagine, he did not have many good words. Understandable given the team he was involved with at the time. :laugh:

vcs

I don't think the like system was in place at that point. Otherwise he probably wouldn't have packed it in. Nothing like a few cheap likes to flatter your ego and motivate you to keep wasting your time on here.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I don't think the like system was in place at that point. Otherwise he probably wouldn't have packed it in. Nothing like a few cheap likes to flatter your ego and motivate you to keep wasting your time on here.
I have a feeling he wouldn't be around now, though

vcs

You've got to be kidding me. Are you telling me that worldwide adulation and recognition as one of the greatest batsmen of your generation is more rewarding than a few likes from some nerds on a cricket discussion forum?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You've got to be kidding me. Are you telling me that worldwide adulation and recognition as one of the greatest batsmen of your generation is more rewarding than a few likes from some nerds on a cricket discussion forum?
**** sake

Zinzan

Mostly Zinzan IIRC.
Yup, myself and Smudge were cynical it was him. IIRC I think Smudge quizzed him on the name of a horse he once owned, and i think i might have commented that the real Martin Crowe's grammar would be better.

Daemon

De Villiers steps down as ODI captain, available for Tests - ESPNcricinfo

I know this was posted in the other thread, but I think this would get more eyeballs.

"There is plenty of hard work ahead in the nets and I must prepare properly, but I will be ready to play, if required, from the middle of October onwards."

De Villiers' timescale rules him out of the Test series against Bangladesh which begins at the end of September and means his return to the longest format could come in the Boxing Day Test should CSA be able to arrange a fixture or against India in the New Year.
Is he coming back from injury? Why mid October?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
De Villiers steps down as ODI captain, available for Tests - ESPNcricinfo

I know this was posted in the other thread, but I think this would get more eyeballs.

Is he coming back from injury? Why mid October?
He was injured and then said he wanted a break from Tests... October would be about a year off and has said he is willing to play Tests, which is a surprise to us all. Probably not needed for the Bangladesh test, can see a few new faces getting a chance there.

I liked this.....
De Villiers, who has two young children, had been stung by accusations that he was picking and choosing his matches and maintains there was an orchestrated plan with CSA to extend a career that has become beset by injury in the last few years."This strategy has prompted some people to say I am picking and choosing when to play for the Proteas, and even to suggest I am somehow putting myself before the team," he said.
"That is simply not true. That has never been true. Playing for South Africa is, and will always be, the greatest privilege of my life," he added.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This has been one of the strangest breaks ever in terms of communication to the outside world.

Will be fantastic to see him back playing tests! :wub:

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
Didn't ABDV say he was quitting tests to "preserve his body for one last ODI World Cup", or am I misremembering things?

Regardless, this is great news.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Good on him. Can Bavuma open? He is pretty solid but doesn't look to have the gears to dominate enough in the middle order. This also helps with selection criteria.

Elgar, Bavuma, Amla, Faf, AB, QDK is a pretty decent top 6