• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers expected to retire from tests

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
91Jmay might just be marking down AB simply for caring about The Voice, rather than the timing of the tweets. An entirely reasonable viewpoint to take if so
I was told change the channel to The Voice or else.....so I did not argue and grabbed my book.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it's perfectly reasonable for fans to be disappointed that a player of ABdV's calibre has decided to place Test cricket as a lower priority for whatever reason, though probably doing it in this thread is a bit much

Well the use of the word "selfish" does not leave much mystery in what he is accusing AB of, does it? I totally understand being disappointed but to come here and blame a player whose test career we seem to be celebrating is odd af.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pointing at his social media activity to criticize his lack of commitment to Test cricket is kinda bizarre as well..

I mean, I'm a grumpy old man who hates Twitter and social media in general, but he's sitting at home on his arse, and if tweeting is what he wants to do, let him go for it. What else is he supposed to do with his time? Though I guess he could do the decent thing and sign up on here instead..

91Jmay

International Coach
Well the use of the word "selfish" does not leave much mystery in what he is accusing AB of, does it? I totally understand being disappointed but to come here and blame a player whose test career we seem to be celebrating is odd af.
Same as when KP decided he only wanted to play one format, and the idea retirement threads have to be like an obituary is so odd. I mean it's a retirement thread on a cricket forum, it doesn't matter in any way and shouldn't have any kind of decorum attached to them frankly.

He was a very good player, he has prioritised T20 over Tests to earn money despite being worth $5 million+ (conservatively) USD.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Same as when KP decided he only wanted to play one format, and the idea retirement threads have to be like an obituary is so odd. I mean it's a retirement thread on a cricket forum, it doesn't matter in any way and shouldn't have any kind of decorum attached to them frankly.

He was a very good player, he has prioritised T20 over Tests to earn money despite being worth $5 million+ (conservatively) USD.

That is just your guess. And I think you are very much wrong.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I do not agree with this. Playing for your country in test cricket is the pinnacle of our sport and the greatest honour to be bestowed on a player.

91Jmay

International Coach
That is just your guess. And I think you are very much wrong.
He's been on $1.5+ million for 3 years in IPL alone, has multiple endorsement deals (include a reputed huge one with MRF) + his SA salary which is quite a small slice. He also spoken before about his various property investments and his Dad was a doctor with a thriving private practise. He is set up for life.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The money is not the point. He had these deals like forever. There are other factors and yes, his back injuries also have a lot to do with it. Its easier to manage a deteriorating back condition over 7 hours and 3 hours a day than for 6 hours for 5 consecutive days. And he has an actual fire to win an ICC trophy, its obviously personal to him.

91Jmay

International Coach
The money is not the point. He had these deals like forever. There are other factors and yes, his back injuries also have a lot to do with it. Its easier to manage a deteriorating back condition over 7 hours and 3 hours a day than for 6 hours for 5 consecutive days. And he has an actual fire to win an ICC trophy, its obviously personal to him.
You literally just questioned the money in the above post. Not seen the goalpost move that fast since the Scots visited the old Wembley.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You literally just questioned the money in the above post. Not seen the goalpost move that fast since the Scots visited the old Wembley.

:laugh: I have never seen comprehension thrown out of the window this fast by a poster in an argument either... Where exactly was it about the money again in my post?

91Jmay

International Coach
:laugh: I have never seen comprehension thrown out of the window this fast by a poster in an argument either... Where exactly was it about the money again in my post?
You highlighted the money part of my post., money is the central tenant we are discussing. If he wanted to extend his Test career he could not play SA franchise T20 and international T20s but he doesn't. He clearly has given SA cricket a lot, but has decided that Tests aren't worth it any more for him. It's probably a combination of reasons, but to pretend it isn't about money at all is ridiculous.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

So I missed the word "only" in my first sentence. But come on, its obvious we are making the same points here. You are just highlighting the money and I am highlighting everything else. Even you gotta acknowledge your initial posts were extremely harsh, given we dont know the guy and we both agree that there were several factors in the decision, money just being one of them. We dont even know how much big it was coz him playing tests and being from RSA, you kinda know it wont interfere too much with his IPL cash anyways.

Stefan9

International Debutant
AB has become arrogant and forgotten this is a team game. Has and continues to behave like a primadonna, putting himself ahead of the needs of the team and nation.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Pointing at his social media activity to criticize his lack of commitment to Test cricket is kinda bizarre as well..

I mean, I'm a grumpy old man who hates Twitter and social media in general, but he's sitting at home on his arse, and if tweeting is what he wants to do, let him go for it. What else is he supposed to do with his time? Though I guess he could do the decent thing and sign up on here instead..
Have we tried just messaging various cricketers on twitter asking them to join CW?

This of course raises the possibility that Slippy was actually a joint account used by a variety of older players who were thinking about making a comeback, but weren't sure how well received it would be

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Never knew about that. When did this happen?
Have we tried just messaging various cricketers on twitter asking them to join CW?

This of course raises the possibility that Slippy was actually a joint account used by a variety of older players who were thinking about making a comeback, but weren't sure how well received it would be
This was before my time, but I'm lead to believe Martin Crowe signed up and was then harassed because some members didn't believe him

Mods had to step in and verify his identity, but I think he had enough by that point and left the site.

Anyone else can verify this?

Athlai

Not Terrible
This was before my time, but I'm lead to believe Martin Crowe signed up and was then harassed because some members didn't believe him

Mods had to step in and verify his identity, but I think he had enough by that point and left the site.

Anyone else can verify this?
Roughly true.