• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villers vs Michael Bevan vs Sachin Tendulkar

Gob

International Coach
Its not just 4 runs.. Lara's SR much higher too. All these when batting was tougher than Ponting time.
Lara's top order numbers are easily better than Ponting's and 160 innings is not a small sample size either.
I consider Lara to be the 6th greatest odi batsman of alltime just ahead of Ponting at 7th.
Also Lara ranked number 1 longer than anyone bar Viv.

And
Even if you think Ponting is better than Lara, in this particular case Lara + Dhoni still makes better combination than Gilly + Ponting.
I honestly don't care about bilateral ODIs and I don't even want to dissect in to stats from the top of my head I can recall Ponting standing up for the big occasion.

1.03 final
2.06 CB series final
3. 06 series decider vs SA
4. 09 champions trophy SF
5. 11 WC sf

This is just from the top of my head. Ponting is easily ahead of Lara imo. Whether Ponting/Gilchrist serves Lara/ Dhoni is a different question. What I really liked about the team Red picked was that I get to have DeVilliers at six which is insane depths and i can have a genuine bowling all rounder at 7 and i like it. Plus you have Ponting in the field who can basically win the game with couple of run outs

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
I honestly don't care about bilateral ODIs and I don't even want to dissect in to stats from the top of my head I can recall Ponting standing up for the big occasion.

1.03 final
2.06 CB series final
3. 06 series decider vs SA
4. 09 champions trophy SF
5. 11 WC sf

This is just from the top of my head. Ponting is easily ahead of Lara imo. Whether Ponting/Gilchrist serves Lara/ Dhoni is a different question. What I really liked about the team Red picked was that I get to have DeVilliers at six which is insane depths and i can have a genuine bowling all rounder at 7 and i like it. Plus you have Ponting in the field who can basically win the game with couple of run outs
Its not Lara's fault,Ponting got more opportunities.
I dont see any difference in batting depth between Gilly opens + AB at 6 and Lara opens + Dhoni at 6.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
If Keith Miller was a 2000s ODI player, he would be averaging 15 with the bat. Bored with success all the time, he will throw his wicket away every now and then.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ODI pace bowlers pecking order:

Garner
McGrath
Wasim

Everyone else.

Garner still top spot. McGrath second based largely on his world cup record. Wasim clearly the next best by a country mile.