• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Tribute To Adam Gilchrist

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He's retiring because he's dead? :ph34r:

He wasn't my favourite cricketer, but one couldn't help but be impressed by the way he carried himself and the way he approached the game. The highlights of his ton against England at Perth are something that take my breath away every time I watch them. Which, obviously isn't often, or I'd suffocate.
:laugh: yeah, I remember watching that live, it was a bit like watching someone trash myliving room at the time, though I do remember when hoggy ran in to bowl the 55th (?) ball I couldn't decide what I wanted to happen.

masterblaster

International Captain
What a champion and absolute legend Adam Gilchrist is. It's very sad to see him depart the International game. Not only was he one of the very best players on the field, but also one of the best ambassadors of the game off the field. Australian Cricket is a poorer side without him.

True legend.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Strangely enough, I think because of Gilly's timing of this decision, and the quality of Haddin as a replacement, it won't be too much of a blow to the team. Don't get me wrong, Haddin has yet to show anything to suggest he's half the player Gilchrist was, but I think Gilly has been honest enough to say to himself that he's no longer consistently playing at the level he would like to be.

If this sounds like a knock on Gilchrist, it's not. I see his humility, common sense, and honesty in making this call now as just another example of what an exceptional team man, and general sportsman, Gilchrist is.
I agree with you. Very praiseworthy and unselfish move from Gilchrist, I get the feeling he would have loved to play for another year or two, but he knew he just was not going to be able to produce the performances he'd like to. Did the right thing by the team and left on top with his legacy intact.

Agree pretty much on Haddin aswell, nobody is suggesting he's going to be the player Gilchrist was at his peak. However he's clearly a very competent batsman who knows his game very well and his keeping is tidy.
I think Gilchrist will be missed more for the influence he had on the team dynamics, his role as VC and the fear he struck into opponents rather than his raw runs and catches.

His finest innings for mine was the brutal hundred at Mumbai in 2001 coming in at 5-99 against Harbhajan (interestingly it didnt make Cricinfo's top 5 Gilchrist innings lol)

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thanks mate. Glad I read the site before I did the report, coz I hadn't heard the news at all. Would have been pretty embarrasing.

Woodster

International Captain
As an England fan I it's excellent news! No Gilchrist in 2009 means a number of English bowlers will breathe a huge sigh of relief despite him not excelling the last time he was here.
From a cricket fan's point of view it is a real shame (if an understandable decision) to see another exhilarating and world class cricketer retire from the game. He had an immense presence in any form of the game with the bat, when in the mood it was impossible to bowl anywhere to him. His glove skills were also of the highest order and to keep so efficiently to Shane Warne over a long period of time is testament to his skills behind the stumps. A legend of the game that will be missed by Australia and world cricket in general.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Very praiseworthy and unselfish move from Gilchrist, I get the feeling he would have loved to play for another year or two, but he knew he just was not going to be able to produce the performances he'd like to. Did the right thing by the team and left on top with his legacy intact.
Absolutely. & typical of the man. I don't think too many people would've begrudged him hanging on for his 100 tests, but Gilly has obviously felt a slight lessening of his powers and has decided it's now the right time to go. The contrast between Gilchrist's selfless candour and the lack shown by a certain former England football captain (currently on 99 caps) immediately struck me. Short of offering to clean his bosses car the latter couldn't have made it more obvious that the personal glory of the ton was desperately important to him.

I'd just echo what's been said by everyone else too; a genuine all-time great and a gentleman with it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
As I said in the official thread, he is someone that in years to come we will ramble on about, his hitting, the way he revolutionised his role, his various remarkable innings, and so on. Like Sobers, Richards, Warne and others, a true legend of the game and a figure who changed the way it was played. Truly glad I saw him play.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Strangely enough, I think because of Gilly's timing of this decision, and the quality of Haddin as a replacement, it won't be too much of a blow to the team. Don't get me wrong, Haddin has yet to show anything to suggest he's half the player Gilchrist was, but I think Gilly has been honest enough to say to himself that he's no longer consistently playing at the level he would like to be.

If this sounds like a knock on Gilchrist, it's not. I see his humility, common sense, and honesty in making this call now as just another example of what an exceptional team man, and general sportsman, Gilchrist is.
Deep down, I don't really rate Haddin at all. And I don't just mean in the obvious "he's not as good as Gilchrist" way, but in a "he's barely test class" way. His keeping has improved quite a bit recently but I don't rate his batting against good bowling. I'm fully aware of his stats in recent seasons and I cheer him on as a NSW fan, but I've seen him get owned against good bowling one too many times, TBH.

I should probably keep this out of the tribute thread though, I suppose. Echoing Voltman's thoughts - not my favourite cricketer by any stretch of the imagination, but he has my ultimate respect and admiration for the results he generated and how he managed to lift under pressure.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I should probably keep this out of the tribute thread though, I suppose. Echoing Voltman's thoughts - not my favourite cricketer by any stretch of the imagination, but he has my ultimate respect and admiration for the results he generated and how he managed to lift under pressure.
Agree with this mainly, top bloke and a top player.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Even though Gilly doesn’t seem to care that much about averages, I’d really love to see him score 244* tomorrow as this would give him a test average of 50.00 ;)

……however maybe something more likely and appropriate would be if he could score a farewell 50* or 100 tomorrow, as this would place him directly between Dougie Walters (48.26) and Neil Harvey (48.41) on the all-time Australian averages list. I think he fits pretty well between these two all-time greats

pup11

International Coach
http://nz.cricinfo.com/ausvind/content/current/story/333484.html

Adam Gilchrist, one of the most dazzling entertainers that the game of cricket has seen, has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.

Undoubtedly my favourite cricketer, and sportsman, ever. Loved the way he played the game, with so much passion and determination, yet was also one of the most well-spoken, humble and genuine people you will meet. A legend, in all senses of the word.

EDIT: I'm no longer a staff member, but I'll be writing a personal tribute when I get the time.
Well done Permsy, its fitting enough that you started the tribute thread on Gilly, so good on ya mate!!
Anyways for me Gilly would always remain a very special cricketer, he had all the talent in world and he made great use of it too, but still his real charm lied in the way he conducted himself, he has always been such down to earth and humble personality and above all he was a great ambassador for the game of cricket.
Without him watching cricket would never be the same again. :down:

slowfinger

International Debutant
I have heard the news, really I'm shellshocked :shocking:

There wasn't much use of retiring, I mean, he is only 34 ,he could have played till 40 depending on his conditions.....

I will follow him for all the years to come...
WE ALL MISS YOU GILLY!

pup11

International Coach
Deep down, I don't really rate Haddin at all. And I don't just mean in the obvious "he's not as good as Gilchrist" way, but in a "he's barely test class" way. His keeping has improved quite a bit recently but I don't rate his batting against good bowling. I'm fully aware of his stats in recent seasons and I cheer him on as a NSW fan, but I've seen him get owned against good bowling one too many times, TBH.

Completly agree with you mate, my respect for Gilly has gone up by a few notches after this decision he made, people started calling for his head and how Haddin would be better bet then him and all sort of ****ing ****, but when Gilly's no longer gonna be there, that's when those ****heads would realise that Haddin isn't even good enough to tie Gilly's shoe-laces (and i say this with all due respect to Haddin, but he is nowhere near in the same league as Gilly).

haroon510

International 12th Man
For me Gilly was the type of cricketer that could dominate any type of bowling line up any day.. it didn't mater to him who he faced.. he was always that dominating figure whom bowlers wanted to stay away.. bowlers' nightmare came to reality when gilly was in a good touch.. and lets hope he does the damage again in his last couple of innings that he might play in his last test... it is always pleasing to see a great cricketer finishing with good performance..

Gilly played an innings of 149 in 163 balls against pakistan in Hobart in November 1999 just in his second test match puting a partnership of 238 with Justin Langer when his time was in losing situation..at 126 for 5.. i can't forget his that innings considering that he faced Wasim akram, waqar (who some how looked like old waqar that day and bowled with his old vonim) shaoib akhter and saqalin Mushtaq..

Great man and a Great cricketer who will be missed...

garypleavin

Cricket Spectator
A truly marvellous player who always had a fear factor about him whenever he came out to bat. A spectacular one day opener who was magnificent in the World Cups. My two favourite innings's from him are his 140-odd at Hobart against a superb Pakistan attack in his second Test Match. The other is (depite being painful to watch at the time) was his 57 ball hundred against England in the Ashes which was truly spectacular and not a great thing to wake up to.