• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

howardj

International Coach
Why does a strong GC mean a weak Lions??
It doesn't necessarily, but there's no doubt on face value that's it's resulted in a weaker Lions - Rishcha, Brennan, draft concessions, effect on crowds, and in the longer term less chance to corner the sponsorship/supporter dollar. And, with free agency coming up, which South East Queensland club will interstate Queenslanders rather return to over the next few years especially? To my mind it certainly won't strengthen the Lions (the presence of the Gold Coast), and therefore in a fledging Brisbane market may stunt interest in the code here in the Capital city.

Look, I love AFL but it's such a rugby league culture up here - it's ingrained in people, and the AFL is really up against it. With the Lions already needing AFL financial support this year, not to mention a priority pick, the game here in Brisbane is struggling.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It doesn't necessarily, but there's no doubt on face value that's it's resulted in a weaker Lions - Rishcha, Brennan, draft concessions, effect on crowds, and in the longer term less chance to corner the sponsorship/supporter dollar. And, with free agency coming up, which South East Queensland club will interstate Queenslanders rather return to over the next few years especially? To my mind it certainly won't strengthen the Lions (the presence of the Gold Coast), and therefore in a fledging Brisbane market may stunt interest in the code here in the Capital city.

Look, I love AFL but it's such a rugby league culture up here - it's ingrained in people, and the AFL is really up against it. With the Lions already needing AFL financial support this year, not to mention a priority pick, the game here in Brisbane is struggling.
What, does Brisbane need a free kick in every football code to have a viable team? The Broncos whinged about the GC and want concessions there's no second team in a city of however many million, and now the Lions basically bitchin on identical terms over the Suns.

Think they ought to suck it up, frankly.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
People mention how Brendan McCartney is one of the very few senior coaches in the AFL to have never played at the highest level.

What other senior coaches in the past also never played VFL/AFL football? Anyone know?
Did the Giesch play AFL?

Redbacks

International Captain
When's free agency coming in, and will that mean that trades and the draft are ****ed off?
Not sure of the year, but only players with 7 seasons can get free agency as the rationale is that older players want more options to set themselves up. Once past 30, getting a trade can be difficult.

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
People mention how Brendan McCartney is one of the very few senior coaches in the AFL to have never played at the highest level.

What other senior coaches in the past also never played VFL/AFL football? Anyone know?
Could be an interesting time ahead if he has success with the Dogs. My understanding is that in the NFL, for instance, you have heaps of "career coaches". Never been the case in the AFL which is always a little bit surprising. Hopefully he goes some way to get rid of this idea that champion footballer = champion coach.

I'm pretty happy about the appointment. I don't know a heap about him, but all reports from Geelong and Essendon suggest he's an awesome guy, great motivator of players (god we need this) and a great tactician. A shame for Leon Cameron, but I think he's probably too close to the footy club and sort of a Rocket-lite which isn't what we need atm.

Last edited:

benchmark00

There's no doubt that a certain element of coaching in the modern landscape is centred around marketability though. Having legends of the club sign on as coaches gives clubs such a big boost in the bottom line.

Jimmy Hird gave Essendon a shot in the arm when he signed.

Is McArtney going to give Footscray the exposure they'd like? Who knows. No doubt winnings games provides exposure, but it helps to have a high profile in charge when selling the club.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
There's no doubt that a certain element of coaching in the modern landscape is centred around marketability though. Having legends of the club sign on as coaches gives clubs such a big boost in the bottom line.

Jimmy Hird gave Essendon a shot in the arm when he signed.

Is McArtney going to give Footscray the exposure they'd like? Who knows. No doubt winnings games provides exposure, but it helps to have a high profile in charge when selling the club.
Short of Malthouse there's no one really high profile we'd want at the moment. The Dogs aren't in a position where we've ever had any really marketable stars - I can't imagine Cameron, Grant, Montgomery, etc. would do much for revenue.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Giants calling but three veterans in limbo

Can't really blame Port and Brisbane for trying, but I'm not sure that it's really going to do them all that much good.

Obviously they are trying to get GWS to gamble on the fact that they won't want anyone from Brisbane or Port at the end of next year (which is a fair assumption in the case of Port). I don't know why GWS would agree to limit their options for next year though - as far as I know drafting those players at the arse end of the rookie draft wouldn't see them give up their rights to anything.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Giants calling but three veterans in limbo

Can't really blame Port and Brisbane for trying, but I'm not sure that it's really going to do them all that much good.

Obviously they are trying to get GWS to gamble on the fact that they won't want anyone from Brisbane or Port at the end of next year (which is a fair assumption in the case of Port). I don't know why GWS would agree to limit their options for next year though - as far as I know drafting those players at the arse end of the rookie draft wouldn't see them give up their rights to anything.
I think it is an absolute dick move by Port and Brisbane. They force these guys into retirement, and **** them over. These are legends of their clubs, and just another example of why Port Adelaide is a ******** footy club.

howardj

International Coach
My favourite player

Needs a huge game tomorrow for the Eagles to get up.

Did you see, at the end of the Carlton game with three points the difference, how hard he went in for that ball on the ground!

Gun.

Redbacks

International Captain
Kerr :wub: it was worth the wait to see him back in form.

Awesome part in that clip where Cousins, Kerr and Judd combine. Add in Cox and it was surely the greatest midfield we are likely to see.

benchmark00

Kerr :wub: it was worth the wait to see him back in form.

Awesome part in that clip where Cousins, Kerr and Judd combine. Add in Cox and it was surely the greatest midfield we are likely to see.
There's a reason Voss, Black, Akermanis, Lappin, Power etc won three flags in a row.

Spikey

hawks looking good in the clearances early. that's where geelong killed collingwood in 24.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hope the hawks get up. Got awesome $4.5 odds on Betfair on Monday.

Will cop it from Benchy though if it happens

Spikey

Collingwood just not looking on...perhaps a loss to WC would have been handy. Thomas awol

DAT LEWIS HANDBALL