• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A cheat is a cheat

the big bambino

International Captain
Who were they ball tampering it for tho? Was it for Smith leggies? Maybe Cummins didn't knew the extent of tampering but as the lead fast bowler he must have known some tampering must have been taking place. And Paine confession only supports this.
He was caught practically the moment he tried it. Some advantage eh? If you read the whole article Paine says he was shocked when Bancroft was caught. That there was no team meeting discussing it. So yes you're right Cummins didn't know about it, didn't do it so he's not guilty of anything.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
He was caught practically the moment he tried it. Some advantage eh? If you read the whole article Paine says he was shocked when Bancroft was caught. That there was no team meeting discussing it. So yes you're right Cummins didn't know about it, didn't do it so he's not guilty of anything.
There may not have been a team meeting but, according to reports, Warner told Smith of the plan and the latter just said, "I don't want to know about it." I find it hard to believe that the bowlers weren't in on the 'plot'.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I think trying to get away with scratching the ball or picking the seam on the field is basically to be expected, like rugby league players trying to get away with only standing 8.5m back instead of 10m. Saying someone's record is invalidated by that sort of gamesmanship is silly IMO.

I think there's a difference between that and making a premeditated decision to take a foreign object like sandpaper or a bottlecap out onto the field though.
I try to sneak in a few feet /metres in rugby yes.
But I've never picked the seam in cricket or seen anyone in my team do it. I didn't know that was common.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Back in the early '70s there was a shoe shine product called PadO'Wax. It was a small plastic disc with a sponge layer impregnated with polish. They came in a pack with several discs clicked together and a cover over the top disc. I know for a fact that one was used playing Club cricket on at least one occasion. :-O

the big bambino

International Captain
There may not have been a team meeting but, according to reports, Warner told Smith of the plan and the latter just said, "I don't want to know about it." I find it hard to believe that the bowlers weren't in on the 'plot'.
On reflection I've deleted my previous response to your post as it was unfair.

Daemon has given me a gotcha moment on the thread so I think I'll give him one to exploit too.

When Bancroft said the bowlers were in on it I wasn't surprised and waited for more to come out. But it died. Maybe Bancroft was got at who knows.

I might have a suspicion the bowlers knew but no proof. So they can't be accused until its proved. Unless someone confesses then Bancroft's version is his word and that's all. So you can say that you have a suspicion but not assert a fact.

Even if Cummins knew does it matter? As long as he didn't conspire or do the actual tampering then he's innocent. Even in spite of an undefined obligation to stop it. But think of his position in the team. Even if he knew can he report it to his captain who would've told him "ditto to you what I told Warney". It's also hard to buck up against peer pressure.

All up I think what was seen on TV and what was found in enquiry is what happened. Warner was vengeful, Smith unfit to captain and Bancroft the patsy. Maybe we'll find out in 10 years in someones's tell all book.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
On reflection I've deleted my previous response to your post as it was unfair.

Daemon has given me a gotcha moment on the thread so I think I'll give him one to exploit too.

When Bancroft said the bowlers were in on it I wasn't surprised and waited for more to come out. But it died. Maybe Bancroft was got at who knows.

I might have a suspicion the bowlers knew but no proof. So they can't be accused until its proved. Unless someone confesses then Bancroft's version is his word and that's all. So you can say that you have a suspicion but not assert a fact.

Even if Cummins knew does it matter? As long as he didn't conspire or do the actual tampering then he's innocent. Even in spite of an undefined obligation to stop it. But think of his position in the team. Even if he knew can he report it to his captain who would've told him "ditto to you what I told Warney". It's also hard to buck up against peer pressure.

All up I think what was seen on TV and what was found in enquiry is what happened. Warner was vengeful, Smith unfit to captain and Bancroft the patsy. Maybe we'll find out in 10 years in someones's tell all book.
A bowler looks at the ball at the top of his mark before every delivery, without fail. They would know immediately the condition had changed.

When Warner retires it'll probably all come out in his autobiography......perhaps he'll wait till others have retired too, but sure he's going to cash in at some point.

Broad knew...

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A bowler looks at the ball at the top of his mark before every delivery, without fail. They would know immediately the condition had changed.
Bro one of the biggest aspects of the whole thing was that the condition of the ball didn't really change

Burgey

Who were they ball tampering it for tho? Was it for Smith leggies? Maybe Cummins didn't knew the extent of tampering but as the lead fast bowler he must have known some tampering must have been taking place. And Paine confession only supports this.
I don’t think he was the lead fast bowler at that time was he? He didn’t today a test between 2011-2018 or so. It was Siddle’s fault.

Burgey

I try to sneak in a few feet /metres in rugby yes.
But I've never picked the seam in cricket or seen anyone in my team do it. I didn't know that was common.
Might explain why your side struggles to take wickets tbh

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
"Everyone was a part of it to some degree – would it have worked out better for those three players if we had owned it as a team? I think it would have," he added.

Strong vibes.

1696492993418.png