• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A cheat is a cheat

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think trying to get away with scratching the ball or picking the seam on the field is basically to be expected, like rugby league players trying to get away with only standing 8.5m back instead of 10m. Saying someone's record is invalidated by that sort of gamesmanship is silly IMO.

I think there's a difference between that and making a premeditated decision to take a foreign object like sandpaper or a bottlecap out onto the field though.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
The sandpaper incident was so badly executed you can tell it wasn't even the second time Australia tried it. But if Australia had a history of ball tampering leading up to it then they did so with such dastardly subterfuge as to escape detection at the time or since.

So why would you drop such an effective means for something plainly so dumb? Unless sandpaper gate was the first time they tried it.

Australia reacted to a heated situation in SA. From that perspective a dumb decision taken - probably because Warner was pissed about the way Candace was being treated - who knows?

Then we have some posters with no evidence saying Cummins' record is trashed and reckon only racism explains why it isn't. Yet I wonder what prejudice their scratching when they try and equate Cummins' situation with Imran's when there's no evidence against one and admission by the other. Then when you call them out on it one at least (poor dearmon) gets all defensive.
"Everyone was a part of it to some degree – would it have worked out better for those three players if we had owned it as a team? I think it would have," he added.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"Everyone was a part of it to some degree – would it have worked out better for those three players if we had owned it as a team? I think it would have," he added.

delete this, someone may burst a vein

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia didn't get caught in their previous attempts because they didn't come up against a broadcaster that was instructed to follow their fielders' every move. SA and Supersport are a unique proposition.

Starc had bowled a spell of out of nowhere deadly reverse swing in that very same series earlier. Australian fans can be delusional morons and deny it all they want, it doesn't take huge leaps of logic to think they'd been doing it for a while. Shameful.
lol

Only the delusional believe that the vast majority of cricketers don’t tamper with the ball but sandpaper is next level and it didn’t even work

Everything points to Warner losing his mind and Bancroft being stupid enough to listen to him

Daemon

Only the delusional believe that the vast majority of cricketers don’t tamper with the ball but sandpaper is next level and it didn’t even work
True, most people have done it or would have been aware it was happening.

But Haze, Starc, Cummins and Smith had zero idea it was happening. Absolutely zero. Not an inkling. In fact this was the first time any Australian had ever tampered with a ball.

social

True, most people have done it or would have been aware it was happening.

But Haze, Starc, Cummins and Smith had zero idea it was happening. Absolutely zero. Not an inkling. In fact this was the first time any Australian had ever tampered with a ball.
“Regulation” tampering (sunscreen, hair products, picking the seam, loading one side up with moisture, throwing the ball into the ground to rough it up etc) has been going on forever but sandpaper is a whole different beast

I find it impossible to believe that not one person would object if that was suggested to the group

I would & I have done all the other things regularly

Burgey

“Regulation” tampering (sunscreen, hair products, picking the seam, loading one side up with moisture, throwing the ball into the ground to rough it up etc) has been going on forever but sandpaper is a whole different beast

I find it impossible to believe that not one person would object if that was suggested to the group

Remember back before umpires used to take the ball when a wicket fell and you could get some Chaminda out of your pocket to shine the ball in the team huddle where the opposition and umps couldn't see? Quality.

I've said it before but the best one by far was when you went off for rain and the ball was soft, you squeezed the seam together and stuck it in the pie oven. ****er would turn into a brick with a seam about 1/4 inch high and go sideways like nothing you've ever seen for a few overs when you went back on. Sides would go from 3/160 to all out 185 on a regular basis.

social

Bowling sides put the new rock in the freezer overnight and then handed it to the umpires just before taking the field :laugh:

Checking the ball really wasn’t much of a thing

It was like sledging - tolerated unless someone went completely overboard

Daemon

Yeah this is reasonable. I do think chances are they knew conventional tampering was going on, but not that their dimwit player was bringing sandpaper onto the field.

the big bambino

International Captain

Yes I think its been established the sandpaper incident occurred but no one denies Bancroft was the tamperer, Smith responsible and Warner instrumental. Just that bit about Cummins doing it is missing ...

Paine might reflect on collective guilt so that some individuals don't suffer all the consequences, (what of other sides that have tampered - how many other individuals are you sparing by not applying the same standard?) but according to the game's laws and administrators, Cummins has no case to answer.

the big bambino

International Captain
Australia didn't get caught in their previous attempts because they didn't come up against a broadcaster that was instructed to follow their fielders' every move. SA and Supersport are a unique proposition.
Incredible to relate the 3rd test in 17/18 SA v Aus was the first to be ever broadcast ... really amazing stuff OS.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Yes I think its been established the sandpaper incident occurred but no one denies Bancroft was the tamperer, Smith responsible and Warner instrumental. Just that bit about Cummins doing it is missing ...

Paine might reflect on collective guilt so that some individuals don't suffer all the consequences, (what of other sides that have tampered - how many other individuals are you sparing by not applying the same standard?) but according to the game's laws and administrators, Cummins has no case to answer.
Who were they ball tampering it for tho? Was it for Smith leggies? Maybe Cummins didn't knew the extent of tampering but as the lead fast bowler he must have known some tampering must have been taking place. And Paine confession only supports this.