• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A cheat is a cheat

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IIRC the umpires concluded that the condition of the ball hadn’t been changed in that match so it’s impossible to conclude that anyone other than Warner and Bancroft were involved

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of the funniest parts about the Sandpaper saga (other than how insanely dumb the idea was) was that everyone involved came to the conclusion that it didn't even work

the big bambino

International Captain
The sandpaper incident was so badly executed you can tell it wasn't even the second time Australia tried it. But if Australia had a history of ball tampering leading up to it then they did so with such dastardly subterfuge as to escape detection at the time or since.

So why would you drop such an effective means for something plainly so dumb? Unless sandpaper gate was the first time they tried it.

Australia reacted to a heated situation in SA. From that perspective a dumb decision taken - probably because Warner was pissed about the way Candace was being treated - who knows?

Then we have some posters with no evidence saying Cummins' record is trashed and reckon only racism explains why it isn't. Yet I wonder what prejudice their scratching when they try and equate Cummins' situation with Imran's when there's no evidence against one and admission by the other. Then when you call them out on it one at least (poor dearmon) gets all defensive.

TheJediBrah

I don't think anyone claimed that Australia had used sandpaper before, but ball-tampering in general

There was talk during the Ashes preceding the SA tour of them having pockets full of sugar or something

TheJediBrah

That sandpaper was clearly planted on Bancroft by SuperSport, all a conspiracy by Cricket South Africa and the ICC

OverratedSanity

Australia didn't get caught in their previous attempts because they didn't come up against a broadcaster that was instructed to follow their fielders' every move. SA and Supersport are a unique proposition.

Starc had bowled a spell of out of nowhere deadly reverse swing in that very same series earlier. Australian fans can be delusional morons and deny it all they want, it doesn't take huge leaps of logic to think they'd been doing it for a while. Shameful.

the big bambino

International Captain
Overconfidence. The same reason criminals the world over get caught trying to pull off bigger and bigger heists.
They get caught with evidence. Apart from sandpaper gate what do you have? And please stop trying to find reasons without it. As if anyone is going to change a winning method for something so obvious. I mean what motive would some people have to be so upset over something they have no proof of even happening? Unless they want it so badly to be true for who knows what reason ..?

TheJediBrah

Come on this is a dumb argument. Everyone knows that everyone tampers to whatever extent they can get away with. While we may not have as storied a tampering history as, say, England, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka or South Africa, we have to admit that even Australia have #crossedtheline at one point or another.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They get caught with evidence. Apart from sandpaper gate what do you have? And please stop trying to find reasons without it. As if anyone is going to change a winning method for something so obvious. I mean what motive would some people have to be so upset over something they have no proof of even happening? Unless they want it so badly to be true for who knows what reason ..?
Are you going to have the same argument with him I had? He believes it a priori so no amount of reason will be persuasive.

the big bambino

International Captain
Australia didn't get caught in their previous attempts because they didn't come up against a broadcaster that was instructed to follow their fielders' every move. SA and Supersport are a unique proposition.

Starc had bowled a spell of out of nowhere deadly reverse swing in that very same series earlier. Australian fans can be delusional morons and deny it all they want, it doesn't take huge leaps of logic to think they'd been doing it for a while. Shameful.
I just think dick heads who are so sure something happened actually have to prove it before saying it. Atm you have nothing. Why don't you wait until you have proof? Unless there's some kind of hang up you have against Cummins because of the way he looks or something ... you know, because he's so handsome.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just think dick heads who are so sure something happened actually have to prove it before saying it. Atm you have nothing. Why don't you wait until you have proof? Unless there's some kind of hang up you have against Cummins because of the way he looks or something ... you know, because he's so handsome.
Maybe OS and Daemon are anti-woke.

Burgey

My favourite AT ball tampering episode was Dravid getting done and India deciding that it so represents their cricketing culture they made him captain.

the big bambino

International Captain
Are you going to have the same argument with him I had? He believes it a priori so no amount of reason will be persuasive.
Thanks for tip. I'll just argue like him instead. Akram and Waqar must've tampered even if without evidence because over confidence ... or some other magical reason.

Does that make sense? No? Then I've succeeded arguing just like him.