• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

6th Match - England v Pakistan

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Burner

International Regular
England seriously has a spin problem. Maybe its just confined to Roy but given that he's such an important part of their gameplan, it really is a rather large chink in the armor.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think it is confined to him. Morgan and Stokes both looked clueless against nuffie offies last night who weren't even ragging it. Ali is terrible against it too. Buttler looks ok and Root is a class player ofc.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Ultimately it's the fundamental skills that shine in pressure games like this. Batting with good technique. Taking catches. Accuracy with the ball. Bowling with pace. Having variations. Having a stomach for the fight and desire to win.

Wahab may not look great in JAMODIs, but he's clearly got what it takes for big games, even if his stats don't reflect it.

Burgey

If there was any justice he'd have had six fer last night. It's all well and good for England to say they bowled and fielded poorly, if Root goes for less than a dozen, they lose by 100 plus. On a deck which was meant to suit them down to the ground. Against a side who were hapless water buffaloes three days earlier.

England gone.

Gone. Gone. Gone.

Gone.

trundler

We all know Root is a class act. Fab 4 and all that. But Buttler is climbing his way to the top of the destructive #5/6 finisher. In my time of watching cricket only ABDV and Dhoni have been better. I mean, he makes it look easy but centuries coming after in near the 30 over mark is a bit absurd.

Burgey

The thing a bloke who plays like Buttler had going for him last night was the state of the game meant he had no real option other than to go hard, which is his natural game anyway. Not taking away from the innings, which was great to watch and top shelf, but the state of the game actually suited his style imo. I haven't really followed as much of England's ODIs as others have here, but if he wants to be feted in the Dhoni/ Bevan/ Huss class he'll need to dig a side out of a hole with knocks where he has to slow down and be measured, as well as playing like he did last night.

As I said, not bagging the bloke at all, and he's a phenomenal striker of the ball, but I haven't seen that sort of versatility from him yet (not that he's anywhere near the end of his career). It may be he's batted that way but I haven't seen it becasue I only gaf about WCs, tbf to him

trundler

That test century vs India was pretty good wasn't it?

But you're right. England intentionally push him down the order to 6 when early wickets fall. I do think he batted smartly yesterday. Wasn't a one trick pony at all but I'd like to see him in at 40/4. That'll inevitably happen with this English side though. He's been as destructive as any batsman I've seen but De Villiers also had more gears than anyone I've seen. Could do anything between striking at 30 and 300.

vcs

Yep he's top class and that was the match that came to mind. Doesn't count in Burgey world though, obviously.

vcs

Ultimately it's the fundamental skills that shine in pressure games like this. Batting with good technique. Taking catches. Accuracy with the ball. Bowling with pace. Having variations. Having a stomach for the fight and desire to win.

Wahab may not look great in JAMODIs, but he's clearly got what it takes for big games, even if his stats don't reflect it.
He's still a spray gun and will go for plenty, without taking any wickets when he has a bad day. Guess it was either him or the steady Eddie Junaid, who unfortunately had a poor series just before the World Cup.

Burgey

Yep he's top class and that was the match that came to mind. Doesn't count in Burgey world though, obviously.
If it wasn't at a WC then of course not.

God that Australian XI is so ****ing different to the tone they'll field when they next play England.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can't really go after England's batting. Topped 300 in both their games. A couple of bats are aren't in perfect nick but they're doing pretty well. A bit stop-start perhaps but damn.

Personally wonder whether Woakes is working as the straight man to Jofra. Woakes bowls best when he's trying to move the ball, barely got one off the straight against South Africa and Pakistan took liberties with him today they wouldn't were he shooting for swing. Not saying the combo should change but a guy like Woakes is a far worse bowler when he's not looking for wickets. Blokes like Rashid and Ali are also far less effective in a bowling unit where they have to pull back a bad start.
Yeah fully agree. The selection is right but Woakes's actual role needs to be re-examined.

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
Did anyone else on here wonder if there was a bit of funny business going on during Pakistans fielding ? Very early on , I got the distinct feeling that something odd was being done with the balls . There sure seemed a lot of hand bandages coming into contact with them .My spidey senses were tingling so I watched pretty closely .

Natch they were knocking it on the bounce , there was bits of spit , sweat etc being applied but that is all normal enough ball whispering . This seemed extra . Clearly I wasn't the only one that was suspicious . Joe Root and Jos Buttler obviously weren't happy . Joe asked to see the ball . He was looking at his bat as well after making contact ,clearly spoke to the umpire about it. Jos checked the ball after his wicket , fairly unusual things for them to be doing.

I looked in vain for some sort of support in the media for my gut feeling .Finally BBC ran a piece that sort of supported my hunch but left me none the wiser .
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48506522 Root refused to comment .

What could have been happening anyway ? The balls spent half the time in the umpires pockets so it must have been either a very temporary dressing or very subtle .

I waited before posting anything here ,wondering if the Umps were gonna sanction Pakistan overnight . Apparently not but plenty of unrelated fines in the match :) https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48510266

Like I say . I aint expressing sour grapes or trying to undermine the result. Just wondering what they could have been up to that got a bit of advantage in such a short amount of overs ? They changed at least one ball (from memory) early doors so it's not like they got the full 25 overs to unleash the reverse swing .

Daemon

Did anyone else on here wonder if there was a bit of funny business going on during Pakistans fielding ? Very early on , I got the distinct feeling that something odd was being done with the balls . There sure seemed a lot of hand bandages coming into contact with them .My spidey senses were tingling so I watched pretty closely .

Natch they were knocking it on the bounce , there was bits of spit , sweat etc being applied but that is all normal enough ball whispering . This seemed extra . Clearly I wasn't the only one that was suspicious . Joe Root and Jos Buttler obviously weren't happy . Joe asked to see the ball . He was looking at his bat as well after making contact ,clearly spoke to the umpire about it. Jos checked the ball after his wicket , fairly unusual things for them to be doing.

I looked in vain for some sort of support in the media for my gut feeling .Finally BBC ran a piece that sort of supported my hunch but left me none the wiser .

What could have been happening anyway ? The balls spent half the time in the umpires pockets so it must have been either a very temporary dressing or very subtle .

I waited before posting anything here ,wondering if the Umps were gonna sanction Pakistan overnight . Apparently not but plenty of unrelated fines in the match :) https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48510266

Like I say . I aint expressing sour grapes or trying to undermine the result. Just wondering what they could have been up to that got a bit of advantage in such a short amount of overs ? They changed at least one ball (from memory) early doors so it's not like they got the full 25 overs to unleash the reverse swing .
I got that feeling too. It was obvious they were trying to roughen it up by throwing it on the bounce etc. Didn't see anything suss with regards to bandages etc though.

smash84

The Tiger King

One ball was changed for having it's leather come off after it was hit for 6. Pak were warned for throwing balls on the bounce within the circle but that was about it. Pretty sure they must be trying to roughen the ball up but I don't think they managed to do it to any successful degree. Not very easy to do when the umpires keep the ball and tens of cameras pointed on the players .