• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

6* Times

smash84

The Tiger King
NZ looking dangerous tbh. They have given a real beating to both the group toppers. Not looking forward to facing them in the final (IIIIFFFF we beat India) after what they did to us in the last 5 overs of the innings.

Flem274*

123/5
btw is this NZ side better than the one in 1992?
I was all of one year old but looking at the players involved I'd say the bowling yes. The bowling attack in 1992 looks pretty one dimensional. Mills, Southee, Oram, Vettori, McCullum is better on paper to me.

The batting, well...Crowe

smash84

The Tiger King
I was all of one year old but looking at the players involved I'd say the bowling yes. The bowling attack in 1992 looks pretty one dimensional. Mills, Southee, Oram, Vettori, McCullum is better on paper to me.

that is what i thought too........

Crowe looked so regal while batting for NZ and leading from the front.............the NZ side of 1992 is one of my favorite WC sides of all time

Xuhaib

International Coach

was an awesome attack for those conditions though would have been thumped in the final had they made it.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
the 92 side was beaten soundly prior to the cup, I think it was england they were not expected to do well at all in the wc, we know how that turned out, that team and this current teams cup build up is somewhat similar.

BeeGee

International Captain
No. That NZ batting line up was very good. Crowe, Jones, Rutherford,Harris,Wright Greatbatch, Cairns

Bowling was equal.
:laugh: Hardly. Crowe was a legend, but the rest that you list were pretty ordinary ODI batsmen. Let's look at their ODI stats, shall we?

Jones - Av 35, SR 57
Rutherford - Av 29, SR 64
Harris - Av 29, SR 66
Wright - Av 26, SR 57
Greatbatch - Av 28, SR 71
Cairns - Av 29, SR 84

Jones is the only batsman with an average above 30.
Now lets compare those six to the current NZ top six:

McCullum - Av 28, SR 88
Guptill - Av 35, SR 80
Ryder - Av 36, SR 92
Taylor - Av 36, SR 81
Styris - Av 32, SR 79
Williamson - Av 30, SR 66

Only McCullum has an average below 30.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
:laugh: Hardly. Crowe was a legend, but the rest that you list were pretty ordinary ODI batsmen. Let's look at their ODI stats, shall we?

Jones - Av 35, SR 57
Rutherford - Av 29, SR 64
Harris - Av 29, SR 66
Wright - Av 26, SR 57
Greatbatch - Av 28, SR 71
Cairns - Av 29, SR 84

Jones is the only batsman with an average above 30.
Now lets compare those six to the current NZ top six:

McCullum - Av 28, SR 88
Guptill - Av 35, SR 80
Ryder - Av 36, SR 92
Taylor - Av 36, SR 81
Styris - Av 32, SR 79
Williamson - Av 30, SR 66

Only McCullum has an average below 30.
the late 80's and 90's didnt involve as many minnnows and certainly no bangladesh and played a lot fewer matches. its an unfair comparison.

Flem274*

123/5
No. That NZ batting line up was very good. Crowe, Jones, Rutherford,Harris,Wright Greatbatch, Cairns

Bowling was equal.
Kyle Mills and Daniel Vettori alone put this bowling unit quite far ahead of the 1992 one, unless we actually had the best ODI bowler in the world in 1992 partnered by a world class seamer?

BeeGee

International Captain
the late 80's and 90's didnt involve as many minnnows and certainly no bangladesh and played a lot fewer matches. its an unfair comparison.
Interesting theory. If that's the case then you would expect an increase in the batting averages of other teams as well. So let's take a look at a couple of other teams:

Pakistan
Aamer Sohail - Av 31, SR 65
Ramiz Raja - Av 32, SR 63
Imran Khan - Av 33, SR 72
Javed Miandad - Av 41, SR 67
Saleem Malik - Av 32, SR 76
Inzamam-ul-Haq - Av 39, SR 74

Kamran Akmal - Av 27, SR 84
Mohammad Hafeez - Av 23, SR 65
Asad Shafiq - Av 30, SR 69
Younis Khan - Av 32, SR 75
Misbah-ul-Haq - Av 40, SR 78
Umar Akmal - Av 36, SR 84

England
Graham Gooch - Av 36, SR 61
Ian Botham - Av 23, SR 79
Alec Stewart - Av 31, SR 68
Graeme Hick - Av 37, SR 74
Neil Fairbrother - Av 39, SR 72
Allan Lamb - Av 39, SR 75

Andrew Strauss - Av 35, SR 80
Ian Bell - Av 35, SR 72
Jonathan Trott - Av 55, SR 72
Ravi Bopara - Av 29, SR 72
Eoin Morgan - Av 38, SR 81
Matt Prior - Av 24, SR 76

I don't see a significant difference either way. Certainly not as obvious as the NZ comparison.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Edit - be right back with the stats

OK for the top 5 batting positions from 1988-1992 the average was 32.6
For the top 5 batting positions for the 5 years ending 2010 the average was only 33.3

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I think ODI averages have not changed too much over the periods however SR must be quite different. Also the difference in the average runs scored by teams may have certainly gone up because the teams bat very deep nowadays. Very few genuine tail-enders these days compared to the 80s and early 90s

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There is no question that the best batsmen average more nowadays.. check out the averages of the likes of Watson, Dilshan, Amla, AB, Trott etc. in the last few years in ODI cricket. India and Pakistan pretty much play all their home ODIs on roads. The better bats and the advent of batting powerplays have led to plenty of ridiculous ODI innings as I pointed out in this thread. We certainly didn't see them on such a regular basis in the '90s. In '92, 250 was well above a par score.

smash84

The Tiger King
There is no question that the best batsmen average more nowadays.. check out the averages of the likes of Watson, Dilshan, Amla, AB, Trott etc. in the last few years in ODI cricket. India and Pakistan pretty much play all their home ODIs on roads. The better bats and the advent of batting powerplays have led to plenty of ridiculous ODI innings as I pointed out in this thread. We certainly didn't see them on such a regular basis in the '90s. In '92, 250 was well above a par score.
I am thinking that there wouldn't be too more than 1-2 run difference between ODI averages of early 90s top order batsmen and now. The SR I believe would be more now and that the teams bat much deeper hence the higher scores. Is this hypothesis correct?

irottev

U19 Cricketer
SL IMO will be the toughest game. I think facing SL at home is harder than India at home. On paper I think we'll struggle more with SL's bowling and more with India's batting. Overall probably the edge to SL. As for Pakistan, they'd be the easier of the 3 - we've already beaten them once and know we can again.

I think if Murli is out it gives us a lot of confidance. We usually destroys us.