• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Match - South Africa v Bangladesh

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
I said before the tournament this saffer side is probably the worst in memory going into a world cup. It's just a bad side and I couldn't see them making the semis then and can't see them making the semis now.

Flem274*

123/5
bangladesh have been a decent odi team for years now and shakib has been the best allrounder in the world in all formats for a significant chunk of his career. 2015 were the worst possible conditions for them.

if this was in the subcontinent i'd have pegged them as semi finalists pre-tournament. they've got more star power and a more solid team than ****ing sri lanka.

they're not getting near the final in england but they're a solid 5-8 side.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well played Bangladesh.

South Africa looked awful and out of ideas right from the start. They were frankly terrible in the field - the worst I've ever seen them. Ngidi was rubbish with the ball and then got injured. Rabada had an off day. The other SA pace bowlers weren't too bad though. Tahir was expensive but got wickets.

Bangladesh batted very well and made sure one wicket never turned into two or three.

I didn't see the batting innings but it looked like SA really needed one guy to go on. You can't punish a batting lineup too much when nearly everyone gets 40+. With even one batsman going on they'd have chased properly.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
My exclusive prediction of no side getting within 20 while chasing a score greater than 320 still on point. Just.

Saffers probably down for now. Going to be a very tough road to the semis from here.
There's a lot of games in this tournament, and it's a country with a propensity for flat pitches in recent years. Not panned out much so far but it's bound to happen down the line. Can't see how there won't be a big score chased down at some point.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Congrats Bangers, just watched the SA innings this morning.

Interesting question to ponder; Are Bangers carrying their inspirational skipper, who I see bowled just 6 overs, going for overs 8s, or was it just a bad day at the office for him? He is in his mid 30s and his knees are completely gone IIRC.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Congrats Bangers, just watched the SA innings this morning.

Interesting question to ponder; Are Banger's carrying their inspirational skipper, who I see bowled just 6 overs, going for overs 8s, or was it just a bad day at the office for him? He is in his mid 30s and his knees are completely gone IIRC.
I've long been a fan of Methuselah Mortaza, but his best days as a bowler are certainly long behind him, as you pointed out his knees are cactus these days. Frankly it is mainly down to his almost Imranesqe fight and determination that he is still chugging along to this day

Zinzan

I've long been a fan of Methuselah Mortaza, but his best days as a bowler are certainly long behind him, as you pointed out his knees are cactus these days. Frankly it is mainly down to his almost Imranesqe fight and determination that he is still chugging along to this day
Tough one I guess, I'd be tempted to bring Rubel in for Mortaza assuming he's fit, and have Rahim take the captaincy. But I equally get the argument, that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and they did just beat SA under Mortaza.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Interesting stat: the Bangladesh top 7 for this match were 7 of the top 8 Bangladesh batsmen by ODI batting average (min 10 innings). Just illustrates this really is the best BD side ever and in with a legit chance to make semis.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
To drop Mortaza mid tournament when nobody has given more to Bangladesh cricket over the course of their career would be a true kick in the guts, if they did that I would hope they lose every game by 250+ runs

As a bowler he may be past it, but as a leader nobody else at their disposal comes even remotely close

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Furthermore since the beginning of 2015 the averages for Tamim, Mushfiqur, Shakib and Mahmudullah are 52.56, 48.68, 39.45, 38.18 respectively which stacks up well against the best top orders around. Add in an in form Soumya who's in ridiculous hitting form and you're looking elite.

Burgey

SA need to get Steyn back in the side ASAP. They need to attack and take wickets now they find themselves in this position. Get them crazy eyes back in the side.

tooextracool

International Coach
Not to mention that there is some serious experience in this side - Tamim, Mortaza, Mushfiqur and Shakib are all playing in their fourth world cup.

Burgey

There's a lot of games in this tournament, and it's a country with a propensity for flat pitches in recent years. Not panned out much so far but it's bound to happen down the line. Can't see how there won't be a big score chased down at some point.
I don't believe it is bound to happen. I believe the pressure associated with chasing big scores in a WC compared with doing so in the Gillette Max 3/ Singer Trophy/ Shell Who Gives a **** Cup will be telling. And given the format, that pressure is only going to increase given there's no super sixes stage where you can get your crap together and jag a semi spot, a la Australia in 99. You need to have your **** together pretty much from the get go or you find yourself in SA's position now where they're staring down India this week, and if they lose they're basically cactus less than seven days into the tourney. That **** counts.

Burgey

Not to mention that there is some serious experience in this side - Tamim, Mortaza, Mushfiqur and Shakib are all playing in their fourth world cup.
Just watching some highlights now. Terrific batting innings from Bangladesh. Really deserved that win.

Zinzan

To drop Mortaza mid tournament when nobody has given more to Bangladesh cricket over the course of their career would be a true kick in the guts, if they did that I would hope they lose every game by 250+ runs

As a bowler he may be past it, but as a leader nobody else at their disposal comes even remotely close
Yeah, you're probably right.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean having a passenger/specalist captain in the batting order like Brearley is one thing but a passenger who's meant to push through ten overs is a bit different. Unless he does a Sammy and doesn't bowl lol

Kirkut

International Regular
Forget SA, Bang bros will be the ones we must fear now. The wounds of Dhoni run out in 2016 T20 WC, Nidahas embarrassment and Lankan fans adding salt to wounds with cobra dance, the conspiracy theory that Rohit was out to a fair delivery but BCCI flexed their biceps/triceps/quadriceps to make it a no ball in 2015 WC, all are fresh from farm. Not even Pakistan is as desperate to beat us as they are...

Kirkut

International Regular
Okay, I just checked we'll be playing them on July 2nd. Well....plenty of time to go to get worried.