• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Shri

Mr. Glass
not a fan of bumrah in the squad tbh

let our spearhead rest for a bit. let him chill for 2 tests at least

my xi for the firs test:

Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Pandya
Sundar
Ashwin
Ishant
Siraj

from bunny tail to stronk tail

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sensible. He'd never get a chance under the circumstances and will be slightly weird to make him a nets bowler again.

Don't think he was convincing as anywhere near test quality as well.
I thought he bowled good spells more consistently than Thakur tbh, but Thakur is obviously more penetrative when he's bowling well, not to mention the mythological alpha batting.

cnerd123

likes this
Spin is important in India and I actually think we may be slightly weak in that department with Kuldeep out of form, Washington not really a proven long-format bowler and Axar more of a defensive spinner. That being said, Bumrah, Ishant and Siraj together could be fun on the right pitch!
I'm low key excited for Axar as a long-format prospect and hope he gets a game. His bowling has really been coming along lately, and he looked good in the last IPL. Different format, sure, but the tools were there. Great command of length and variations of pace and flight. If he's got the right head on his shoulders -or some good guidance- he could be a proper long-format spinner.

Plus he has massive Jaddu 2.0 potential since he #CanBat and is a reasonable fielder. Gotta pick him just so we can get let down when he doesn't live up to hype.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It could be the bias of the England fan in me preferentially remembering Aussie defeats, but it does seem that they tend to end up on the losing side of tight finishes more often than not. I'm struggling to think of any Australian wins in closely fought matches in recent years. I don't know if there's anything to be read into that - maybe it's just a symptom of how ruthless they've normally been in pressing home winning situations, especially at home?

There was the game in the UAE a few years back where Khawaja played a gun rearguard to save the Test, have there been any other examples of Australia coming through tight games in recent times?
2nd Test in the 47 AO series. A certain Pat Cummins hit the winning runs then I believe. In general your point seems to be true though.

Saying that, every team wins and loses some tight ones. We lost a tight one at Edgbaston in 2018. Won here and in Adelaide 2019. Failed in Adelaide 2014 heartbreakingly. Saved the Sydney Test here.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I guess it is due to Covid restrictions but I think it will become a permanent feature going forward.
The commentary team today made mention of the number of tours India A are doing so unlike 15-20+ years ago, the players just below international level are getting used to foreign conditions and performing that much better when they hit the big-time. Interesting thought I think, and makes sense. Of course there's plenty of other reasons too, but this is a big one I think.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Perhaps an unpopular opinion - I think the way Che Pu and Rahane handled Lyon this series was absolutely masterful.

A throw back to the old days of Indian greats batting on minefields against Warne and co. Using their feet to repeatedly get to the ball, or going back deep into their crease and playing it late. Soft hands, playing with the pad first a lot. And they resisted a lot of temptation. All the while they punished the bad balls when they came.

They've had their issues with Lyon in the past, but were superb this series. Lyon's bowled worse for better figures.
Disagree. Pujara always looked hurried and forced in his approach and survived two lbw calls by a tiny margin. He doesn't have an attacking game at all so Lyon can make him do this and only keep the close in fielders interested all day.

On the other hand, dismissal nevertheless, Gill has played Lyon the way RHBs should play him. Drove him against the turn stepping out and swept him when needed.

Pant too, SCG drops regardless, played Lyon smoothly overall.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
???

how on earth was the bouncer tactic today "angry and unsportsmanlike behaviour"? wtf?
TBF, it is possible it is an angry reaction of a fast bowler when he is not getting wickets but like we have been through this before, I dont think its "unsportsmanlike" at all. I just hope we improve protective equipment well enough so that we dont have umpires out there being forced to make moral calls.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Siraj is such a great find for us. Was utterly smart the way he bowled through the series. Not sold on Shardul, Natarajan as test bowlers atm.

Also, Gill looks like a great find who can serve Indian cricket for years.

I am also not at all sold about Rohit Sharma opening or in the middle order in tests. Just look at his 'outside asia' performance through his career. I suppose I will have to live with Sharma playing, failing and then eventually dropped over the next 2 years. Sigh.

Jadeja was incredible on this tour. He set the momentum which never stopped. Should be one of the first names on the team sheet from hereon.

Shri

Mr. Glass
not a fan of bumrah in the squad tbh

let our spearhead rest for a bit. let him chill for 2 tests at least

my xi for the firs test:

Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Pandya
Sundar
Ashwin
Ishant
Siraj

from bunny tail to stronk tail
imagine if we are chaing and the opposition doesn't just have to contend with pant but pandya too

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
The commentary team today made mention of the number of tours India A are doing so unlike 15-20+ years ago, the players just below international level are getting used to foreign conditions and performing that much better when they hit the big-time. Interesting thought I think, and makes sense. Of course there's plenty of other reasons too, but this is a big one I think.
Yes this is a great point.. Read somewhere that Siraj had played some 10 or 12 A games prior to test debut.

Another point would be IPL. Familiarised themselves with best of opposition players and avoid being overawed.

cnerd123

likes this
He’s the type of person that when things go against him, he’s gonna go for a streak of single digit scores and all of us are gonna lose our ****.
doesn't help that he's a terrible wicketkeeper.

Goddamn it what if he's our Kamran Akmal (in the 'rocks-or-diamonds batting with terrible keeping' way, and not in the 'he was probably a match fixer' kinda way)