• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Spark

Global Moderator
No we get you don't like your attitude, but it's just not relevant to the actual problems with the team in a performance sense. I don't like Ireland's new ODI shirt but when they lose I don't use it as an excuse to suggest the loss has proven they should change it.
there also isn't that much evidence that they do have an attitude problem tbh. acting out when they're under pressure doesn't mean they have a "bad attitude" in the sense that they're trying to play nasty, pushing-the-edge-of-the-rules cricket like a waugh or ponting side might have. it just means they're weak under pressure. that's an entirely separate issue that has nothing to do with "team culture" in the way that pratters is referring to.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
oh yeah but that wasn't today. pratters referenced the bouncers today... to gill and pujara.
I dont have an issue with them bouncing Pujara etc at all.. it just seemed a bit odd as a plan to go on with it .. there seemed to be no other plan beyond a point.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I think the key point should actually be that even if you can complain about it, the conduct doesn't create poor performances. It's not the reason they lost. If anything it seems to happen the other way with this group of players - they start acting more ****y when they're behind and frustrated.

Being less dickish isn't going to fix the problem with the team people actually care about - ie. its performance.
I think acting edgy probably betrayed their growing insecurity and the Lyon throw was the tipping point.

They demolished India at Adelaide and looked absolutely intimidating without even need for a word or a stare. Look at Cummins, almost all parents would be happy to have a son in law like him, so well behaved and letting his performance do the talking.

But look at spouse cheating Lyon. His body language got geometrically progressed form bad to worse from MCG to Gabba through SCG.

I think it also betrays the latent thinking that trying conspicuously to be non-edgy, especially since sandpapergate, is somehow un Australian at least among a section of players ? like a call of "MAKE AUSTRALIA SL'EDGY' AGAIN" .. But of course it didn't work in this series and I hope the thinking, if at all it exists, dies a quick death.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah it's more a pointer to other things than the cause itself. Making a conscious decision to not be scrappy or dickish or angry or whatever but not addressing the cause would not make the team perform better in any meaningful way.

Pratters doesn't actually care if they perform better though; his posts absolutely reek of "you lost so now I get to blame it on the things about the team that annoy me and demand they be changed". Thankfully this logic doesn't have as big a place on CW as it does elsewhere online or I'd have about 300 less posts today.
Hey come on its not that. I dont think Smith should be captain.. thats all..

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nothing wrong with australia's bouncers/behaviour today.

Was a relatively well mannered series on the field by Australia-India standards. I would like to see some kind of change from ICC as I mentioned before on whether those unnecessary head/shoulder high throws from close-in fielders/bowlers can be treated similar to beamers. For example if a bowler does it, give a no ball, and give him a beamer warning, one more and he's gone. If a fielder does it, 5 penalty runs? No ball? I dunno, but I'd like to see something in the rulebook to discourage what is really petulant, ****ty and can someday cause a worrisome injury especially since its a scenario where a batsman might not be expecting it to come his way.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I dont have an issue with them bouncing Pujara etc at all.. it just seemed a bit odd as a plan to go on with it .. there seemed to be no other plan beyond a point.
Yeah it was a bad plan after a while. No arguments there. "The captaincy hasn't been very good" has been a very regular complaint.

The extra narrative you created around it made it feel like one of those bull**** sensationalist articles Peter Roebuck used to write with seventeen too many layers of artistic license.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Australia lost because India played exceptionally well, Paine was a poor captain, Starc choked and Lyon was in the bad end of his spectrum of mediocrity.

Can we not do the easy media narratives about evil bullies spanked for being evil bullies please?

Spark

Global Moderator
Nothing wrong with australia's bouncers/behaviour today.

Was a relatively well mannered series on the field by Australia-India standards. I would like to see some kind of change from ICC as I mentioned before on whether those unnecessary head/shoulder high throws from close-in fielders/bowlers can be treated similar to beamers. For example if a bowler does it, give a no ball, and give him a beamer warning, one more and he's gone. If a fielder does it, 5 penalty runs? No ball? I dunno, but I'd like to see something in the rulebook to discourage what is really petulant, ****ty and can someday cause a worrisome injury especially since its a scenario where a batsman might not be expecting it to come his way.
Yeah I wouldn't be at all opposed to that tbh. Adds nothing to the game.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
FTR I love Hazelwood, have always liked Lyon from when he started his career and am a huge fan of Smith as a batsman. Any ways.. I am not sure how else to express maybe I am missing a beat here. Any ways.

Spark

Global Moderator
Australia apart from Starc, I thought actually bowled pretty well today. Pretty amazing that we won despite that
Hazlewood looked pretty flat tbh. Not bad but he looked totally cooked. Lyon was better but he also was coming off a very low base in terms of wicket taking threat and even then, didn't exactly look unplayable. Paine ended up stitching up Steve Smith pretty hard as he predicted last night that Green would be a major factor and take a bunch of wickets. Bowled three okay overs early on and was never seen again.

I think the performance is reflected pretty well on a scoreboard. They weren't, like, mown down the way SA did when they chased down 400, but they were well beyond the end of their tether as a collective energy-wise and the pitch didn't really do a great deal.