• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Spark

Global Moderator
yeah aside from the lyon throw and, i guess for some the cummins bouncers to the tail, i can't see how you can complain at all about the conduct of anyone in this test. good, hard, uncompromising and competitive test cricket.

certainly you can't complain about anything anyone did today. australia really did try bloody hard to get 10 wickets without resorting to anything sketchy. they just got outplayed.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
okay i am going to be blunt: this is offensively stupid. they are more than entitled to bowl some bouncers if they think it'll be an effective wicket taking tactic, especially on a flat pitch and especially to set batsmen. that doesn't make them "bullies", that makes them fast bowlers doing things that fast bowlers were entitled to do.

the paine sledge to ashwin was ATG-tier Bad but that has absolutely nothing to do with the bouncers today and the "smith was removing pant's guard" conspiracy theory. that's you trying to craft a grand narrative where none exists.
But of the tactics isnt working I can call it stupid too right? Can say they are doing it excessively for their own good..

See for me the whole demeanour of the aussie team sucks, to put it bluntly. They will try to do any thing to win and frankly I am not a fan.

The current bunch with Smith and co seems really scrappy in a bad way.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Why does Australia always make a batsman captain.. how about Cummins or Hazelwood.. I wouldnt go back to Smith and I see this as the same team as during the SA series despite Lehmann going. Making an amazon documentary doesnt change the team and they do need a change moving forward.
True with India as well.

#AshwinUyir #Udal Manukku Uyir Tamizhukku

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia have quite the knack of losing the unlosable test match (or close to it)
It could be the bias of the England fan in me preferentially remembering Aussie defeats, but it does seem that they tend to end up on the losing side of tight finishes more often than not. I'm struggling to think of any Australian wins in closely fought matches in recent years. I don't know if there's anything to be read into that - maybe it's just a symptom of how ruthless they've normally been in pressing home winning situations, especially at home?

There was the game in the UAE a few years back where Khawaja played a gun rearguard to save the Test, have there been any other examples of Australia coming through tight games in recent times?

Spark

Global Moderator
But of the tactics isnt working I can call it stupid too right? Can say they are doing it excessively for their own good..

See for me the whole demeanour of the aussie team sucks, to put it bluntly. They will try to do any thing to win and frankly I am not a fan.

The current bunch with Smith and co seems really scrappy in a bad way.
you aren't saying they're stupid. you cited it as evidence that they were

play more angrily and in unsportsmanlike ways
which is, bluntly, total bull****. as is your assertion that they were clearly doing "anything to win". at no point did they try anything untoward, cynical, or of questionable legality today to try and get the wickets. they didn't even try that hard to stop india getting to the target with classic negative bowling!

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
yeah aside from the lyon throw and, i guess for some the cummins bouncers to the tail, i can't see how you can complain at all about the conduct of anyone in this test. good, hard, uncompromising and competitive test cricket.

certainly you can't complain about anything anyone did today. australia really did try bloody hard to get 10 wickets without resorting to anything sketchy. they just got outplayed.
The only part which irked me was when Hazelwood bowled the penultimate delivery 3 feet down leg side of Pant, and umpire didn't call a wide.

Credit to Hazelwood he probably was immediately ashamed and gave a nice half volley which Pant creamed to long off.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think the key point should actually be that even if you can complain about it, the conduct doesn't create poor performances. It's not the reason they lost. If anything it seems to happen the other way with this group of players - they start acting more ****y when they're behind and frustrated.

Being less dickish isn't going to fix the problem with the team people actually care about - ie. its performance.

Spark

Global Moderator
The only part which irked me was when Hazelwood bowled the penultimate delivery 3 feet down leg side of Pant, and umpire didn't call a wide.

Credit to Hazelwood he probably was immediately ashamed and gave a nice half volley which Pant creamed to long off.
right that was the one and only ball they bowled that you could call "negative" (and frankly i think pant would have been disappointed he didn't hit it for six, it was more a pie than a negative ball)

Teja.

Global Moderator
The only time I thought the bouncers went OTT were that one over with 5 bouncers that Cummins bowled to an injured Saini's head who could hardly hold a bat anyway and was dancing across his stumps offering a full view.

Within the rules but felt in poor taste. Apart from that the bouncers criticism is unfair imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think the key point should actually be that even if you can complain about it, the conduct doesn't create poor performances. It's not the reason they lost. If anything it seems to happen the other way with this group of players - they start acting more ****y when they're behind and frustrated.

Being less dickish isn't going to fix the problem with the team people actually care about - ie. its performance.
like i think this is part of the reason they lost, but it's more a symptom than a cause. the cause is poor discipline (in a cricketing sense) and a lack of clear, decisive plans imo. and also a sense that they can almost just do "normal" things in australia and just win, which to 90% of test teams is probably true.

but it's just wrong to say them being dicks is why they lost today when they weren't actually dicks today.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It could be the bias of the England fan in me preferentially remembering Aussie defeats, but it does seem that they tend to end up on the losing side of tight finishes more often than not.
I have thought about this before and looked it up and it does seem that a disproportionate amount of one wicket victories are Australia failing to close out a tail partnership and small runs losses failing with the bat when in that position.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

This is where I disagree.. they do need a true image make over, not an amazon documenetary to show they regret sa series etc. In a sense I agree its not easy for this bunch to do this but maybe it can be brought about in future generations.. I dont know I am unable to explain more clearly than that I dont like their attitude..

Spark

Global Moderator
The only time I thought the bouncers went OTT were that one over with 5 bouncers that Cummins bowled to an injured Saini's head who could hardly hold a bat anyway and was dancing across his stumps offering a full view.

Within the rules but felt in poor taste. Apart from that the bouncers criticism is unfair imo.
oh yeah but that wasn't today. pratters referenced the bouncers today... to gill and pujara.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
like i think this is part of the reason they lost, but it's more a symptom than a cause. the cause is poor discipline (in a cricketing sense) and a lack of clear, decisive plans imo.

but it's just wrong to say them being dicks is why they lost today when they weren't actually dicks today.
Yeah it's more a pointer to other things than the cause itself. Making a conscious decision to not be scrappy or dickish or angry or whatever but not addressing the cause would not make the team perform better in any meaningful way.

Pratters doesn't actually care if they perform better though; his posts absolutely reek of "you lost so now I get to blame it on the things about the team that annoy me and demand they be changed". Thankfully this logic doesn't have as big a place on CW as it does elsewhere online or I'd have about 300 less posts today.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is where I disagree.. they do need a true image make over, not an amazon documenetary to show they regret sa series etc. In a sense I agree its not easy for this bunch to do this but maybe it can be brought about in future generations.. I dont know I am unable to explain more clearly than that I dont like their attitude..
No we get you don't like your attitude, but it's just not relevant to the actual problems with the team in a performance sense. I don't like Ireland's new ODI shirt but when they lose I don't use it as an excuse to suggest the loss has proven they should change it.