• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at Old Trafford, Manchester

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
He was supposed to be in good form at the start of the WC. I wouldn’t pick him until he shows he’s got his bowling action back.
Fair enough, and I can't speak to that. But I can assure you he is pretty decent touch with the bat.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm... Burns predictably causing trouble, Root predictably not converting a fifty. Unless we get them out first session tomorrow (follow-on or not) I think this will head to a draw.

Also Paine letting a catch go and making an awful review (like, just stop pretending you have a clue), and bad light interrupting. It wouldn't have made any difference today, but it's silly trying to make up the lost overs to 7 pm or later rather than starting at 10:30 (which, I might remind you, is the standard start time in Aus and we start at 10:00 when there's time lost). Yes, it may have a little bit of merit in the middle of the year but we're now into September and getting close to the equinox. Going that late practically guarantees bad light.

Last edited:

hazsa19

International Regular
Hmm... Burns predictably causing trouble, Root predictably not converting a fifty. Unless we get them out first session tomorrow (follow-on or not) I think this will head to a draw.

Also Paine letting a catch go and making an awful review (like, just stop pretending you have a clue), and bad light interrupting. It wouldn't have made any difference today, but it's silly trying to make up the lost overs to 7 pm or later rather than starting at 10:30 (which, I might remind you, is the standard start time in Aus and we start at 10:00 when there's time lost). Yes, it may have a little bit of merit in the middle of the year but we're now into September and getting close to the equinox. Going that late practically guarantees bad light.
Even if we bat till say halfway through the afternoon session, I can’t see us getting the deficit much below 200, which gives you more than enough time to get 350 ahead before close. I guess the pitch will be a little easier than the Edgbaston day 5 one, but still a huge challenge.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also I see that Starc still seems to be the Starc that we know and don't love from the past couple of years.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see Starc went wicketless
Needs to do that thing to the tail he sometimes does after being innocious up front but I don’t think he’s going to for some reason. He looks like a bloke who thinks his spot is on the line and is uncertain about what to do

Burgey

Even if we bat till say halfway through the afternoon session, I can’t see us getting the deficit much below 200, which gives you more than enough time to get 350 ahead before close. I guess the pitch will be a little easier than the Edgbaston day 5 one, but still a huge challenge.
Stokes is so good though. Can see him playing another blinder once the follow on is saved and securing the draw pretty easily

Last edited:

Daemon

Without that triple strike from Haze my money was on a draw, assuming another session would be lost due to rain/light.

morgieb

Really crucial spell from Hazlewood. Draw still very much possible but they'll need some good batting from these two to stop a fourth innings squeeze.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Stokes is so good though. Can see him playing another blinder once the follow on is saved and securing the draw pretty easily
Lyon should have his number, if he bowls something approaching his best. Even in the freak innings last Test he looked like getting him out every few balls and Stokes only survived with a fair slice of luck.

Burgey

True. But I’m a big Lyon fan as you know and I thought he bowled pish last night. Like they were preoccupied with him bowling tight rather than trying to take wickets. Was consistently short to the lefties and too straight to Root. Don’t get me wrong, Burns and Root played him very well though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Needs to do that thing to the tail he sometimes does after being innocious up front but I don’t think he’s going to for some reason. He looks like a bloke who thinks his spot is on the line and is uncertain about what to do
Tell him that it's fine if he goes for runs, so long as he's bowling at the pegs.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If they trust the dry (though still unpleasant and possibility of bad light earlier even with the floodlights) forecast, they won’t enforce the follow on. They seem to prefer to give the bowlers a rest and not bat last.