• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at Old Trafford, Manchester

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Either way, they'll have to bat 10-12 overs before close of play today I think. So 100 or so overs to survive in the 4th innings. Not very likely to happen.
Depends on how much Australia set. I think England can chase up to 375 off 110 overs, so I wouldn't declare before about 200. Could also see England taking some quick wickets, only two of our batsman excude any degree of confidence and even they might be due a failure....

Burgey

They *could* chase 375 off 110 overs but it would require Australia to bowl worse than they have all series and on a day five deck

Spark

Global Moderator
Depends on how much Australia set. I think England can chase up to 375 off 110 overs, so I wouldn't declare before about 200. Could also see England taking some quick wickets, only two of our batsman excude any degree of confidence and even they might be due a failure....
On what basis do you see England going at 3.5 an over for four sessions

morgieb

Surprised he didn't go for the short stuff, but the yorker looked the better wicket-taking option. Food for Cummins's thought....

morgieb

On what basis do you see England going at 3.5 an over for four sessions
I just get the feeling that they're the sort of batting lineup that could trhive in a one-day like situation.

Don't get me wrong, it's very unlikely. But memories from Leeds dies hard....

Spark

Global Moderator
I just get the feeling that they're the sort of batting lineup that could trhive in a one-day like situation.

Don't get me wrong, it's very unlikely. But memories from Leeds dies hard....
This is not a one-day like situation. This is Day 4 of a Test match.

morgieb

This is not a one-day like situation. This is Day 4 of a Test match.
Talking Day 5 though.

It's a moot point anyway as Australia probably go slower if a couple of quick wickets fall or they hit their way to 400 which would be nigh on impossible to chase on Day 5 rather than merely very unlikely.

Spark

Global Moderator
Talking Day 5 though.

It's a moot point anyway as Australia probably go slower if a couple of quick wickets fall or they hit their way to 400 which would be nigh on impossible to chase on Day 5 rather than merely very unlikely.
I mean that just accentuates the point. England didn't chase down 360 on a day 5 wicket at Leeds, nor did they play it like a one-day chase. They played it like a Test match, which meant slow going for a long time.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That was definitely a case of the umpire should have given it and forced the batsmen to review.