• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

41st Match - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I really can't see us beating England after that woeful chase against the Aussies. Been in a filthy mood for the past couple of days, and now just hope we did enough against the relatively weaker sides to qualify for the Semis. And if we make it, I really really hope we play Australia again and get the chance to make up for the utter humiliation we suffered last time.
Unless Bangladesh beat India, it’s not reall a matter of “if”. There’s no way that Pakistan are going to overtake us on nrr.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah if Pakistan win their final match by 200 runs, and we lose ours by 200 runs. I'm pretty sure we are still ahead of NRR. It's that crazy.

aussie tragic

International Captain
How's the weather as a washout will mean both NZ (12 pts) and Eng (11 pts and NRR of 1.000) qualify and all other games become dead rubbers...

...just saying :ph34r:

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
We're f***ed for this game lol, seeing Eng beating India like this, but we're a bit like Eng or Sri Lanka a few days ago, so who knows

I do think psychologically there's something the players can draw on, or the match ups, you just know we're gonna beat SA because we just find a way for the last 20 years, haha, and BC just struggle against AUS, even in the 2015 win or just the other day when they were 5 down. Though Eng is way different to the previous team now.

Haven't read the papers so Southee's the savior now? I wouldn't mind him playing, just more homework for the opposition on semi-final prep since now they have to study all our bowlers now we're so flexible, minus Blundell's call-up. I reckon Tim's been bowling pretty alright in the last 1-2 summers in NZ, tight up front and takes wickets, esp on Hamilton pitches with his fast spin, and gets whacked at the death but gets the key wickets. Matt did really well though, he only really had one terrible over, and he bowled ok except one high full toss, Tim or Ish wouldn't have done better against CB.

Just hope we play with some anger and ruthlessness esp with our fielding and bowling, not gonna win a game from now on if we just play traditional cricket, it almost felt like Captain Kane wanted the team to calm down when we were killing the opposition lol

I have a hunch Nichols will do well in this game. =P

PS My 3 y/o daughter would love to see Ish play, her fav players are Ish and Mitch for some reason, lol.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really can't see us beating England after that woeful chase against the Aussies. Been in a filthy mood for the past couple of days, and now just hope we did enough against the relatively weaker sides to qualify for the Semis. And if we make it, I really really hope we play Australia again and get the chance to make up for the utter humiliation we suffered last time.
You're a very good chance of beating them if there's movement on offer. If it's flat and there's no swing, you'll want to win the toss and put up over 300.

tooextracool

International Coach
If there is swing, and we lose a couple of early wickets, an idea would be to bat Woakes at 3/4. It won't happen, but he is far better equipped technically to handle swing bowling than the likes of Morgan and Buttler. I've always felt that he's been wasted coming in at number 8 anyways and he could do a job by seeing out the new ball.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If there is swing, and we lose a couple of early wickets, an idea would be to bat Woakes at 3/4. It won't happen, but he is far better equipped technically to handle swing bowling than the likes of Morgan and Buttler.
Yeah I don't hate this, especially now that he's batting in the top seven anyway.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Staring ‘England haven’t beaten NZ in a World Cup since 83’ is a bit of a cheeky stat since it is partly about how little they’ve played.

England win the first three World Cup games, NZ the last four.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Yeah if Pakistan win their final match by 200 runs, and we lose ours by 200 runs. I'm pretty sure we are still ahead of NRR. It's that crazy.
Pretty close. Example, if Eng score 400 and NZ 208 (lose by 192), NZ NRR is 0.000. If Pak score 400 and BD score 146 (lose by 254), Pak NRR is 0.000

btw, the largest victory so far in this WC is Eng over AFG with 150 runs

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Pretty close. Example, if Eng score 400 and NZ 208 (lose by 192), NZ NRR is 0.000. If Pak score 400 and BD score 146 (lose by 254), Pak NRR is 0.000

btw, the largest victory so far in this WC is Eng over AFG with 150 runs
That only drops NZ's net run rate to 0.48. Remember that the total runs and overs are added up for the tournament. You don't add the NRR from each game up as you go along, or the early games would be worth less than the current games.

aussie tragic

International Captain
That only drops NZ's net run rate to 0.48. Remember that the total runs and overs are added up for the tournament. You don't add the NRR from each game up as you go along, or the early games would be worth less than the current games.
Check your math again, I trust mine and '208 for / 400 against' gives 4.930 RR for both, therefore 0.000 NRR

NZ For 1488/294.0 = 5.061, NZ Against 1563/348.1 = 4.489, NRR = 0.572

+ 208/50 for and 400/50 against

NZ For 1696/344.0 = 4.930, NZ Against 1963/398.1 = 4.930, NRR = 0.000

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Check your math again, I trust mine and '208 for / 400 against' gives 4.930 RR for both, therefore 0.000 NRR

NZ For 1488/294.0 = 5.061, NZ Against 1563/348.1 = 4.489, NRR = 0.572

+ 208/50 for and 400/50 against

NZ For 1696/344.0 = 4.930, NZ Against 1963/398.1 = 4.930, NRR = 0.000
Personally wouldn't question Howe's math...

alexaston

Cricket Spectator
Yes Bangladesh and nz would both need to lose by a combined NRR of 10.8 for nz to go out which means both matches would have to add up to about 540 runs won by or if the losing teams bat first and score 150, the teams batting second would need to knock them off in about 17 overs. Nz are an absolute steal at 1.01 on Betfair to qualify. I backed them a few days ago at 1.07 when they already had 11 points which I thought was pretty much free money then ?

wrongun

Banned
Expect Kiwis to lose here. England are back in form and I see them knocking these guys over....the kiwis batting will fail them. Ofcourse, I hope I am wrong.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Going for England here, just so that they get to play India in the semi-final...not try to win that one India :)

Also means Aus play Kiwi's in semi rather than the unpredictable Pakistan