• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

41st Match - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would be handy if Guptill could turn his World Cup around with a big innings here.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Fairly confident that we are going to turn up for this game against a side who's confidence has depleted a bit in the last few games. Think we have the better team, just about performing on the day.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Seen a bit in the press about Southee coming in for this. Makes sense in light of Morgan's sudden inability to cope with anything short.

Not sure who misses out though.

Looks a potential ripper on paper. England probably shade the batting, lower middle order especially, but NZ edge the bowling, particularly the spin department which isn't something I'd thought was possible going in.

Meridio

International Regular
Will actually be able to watch this game, which will be the first NZ one this WC where that's been possible. Work plus my own cricket on Saturdays has really conspired against that.

Southee benefiting massively in the media from not playing any games to date - the classic thing where the guy not selected suddenly becomes far superior to those that were, despite all evidence from games he actually has played in the last few years. Don't know if Durham is the place to play two spinners, and with the way KW captains, it seems likely that Sodhi will miss out. Think we'll also see Santner opening the bowling to Jason Roy, which is a tactic I seem to recall working previously.

Anyway, am expecting the usual fare from NZ - we'll be relying on KW and Taylor for the bulk of our runs, and if they miss out, we're probably stuffed, though I have a sneaking feeling Guptill will come good this game. He does have previous form against England, and also after being in a poor run suddenly turning it around. Think he'll look to play with a lot more #intent than we've seen this tournament.

Expecting an England victory, and for purely selfish reasons I don't actually mind that, as it means we'll probably qualify 4th and I can watch that semi whereas I'll miss the other. So long as we don't get smashed...

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
Would fully expect NZ to recall Southee for this game, expect England to go unchanged, although would possibly like to see Curran come in for Wood

Days of Grace

International Captain
Henry will be feeling shafted if he is dropped for Sodhi at Lord’s then overlooked for Southee next game, having had an average-to-good World Cup.

smash84

The Tiger King
expect England to win this. They will have gotten a lot of confidence winning against India.

The toss too will be important. If England bat first they definitely win, chasing can be tricky.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Seen a bit in the press about Southee coming in for this. Makes sense in light of Morgan's sudden inability to cope with anything short.

Looks a potential ripper on paper. England probably shade the batting, lower middle order especially, but NZ edge the bowling, particularly the spin department which isn't something I'd thought was possible going in.
England more than shade the batting. Better openers, better lower middle order and better tail. Only question is at 3 and 4, and there's hardly a gulf in class there, either. Although, I'd take Williamson and Taylor, personally.

If England turn up, they win.

tooextracool

International Coach
It's been 36 years since England last beat NZ in a world cup game. Don't think it's a question of just turning up and winning, England have a track record of getting beaten badly by the Kiwis in world cups. If there is any swing up front, we can kiss this world cup goodbye because Boult is likely to run through our top order.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah bowler-friendly conditions puts NZ favourites. A flat one tips towards us. That simple really.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Finally a game I'll get to watch (even if it's only on my phone screen). For no reason whatsoever I kinda think NZ will win.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
It's been 36 years since England last beat NZ in a world cup game. Don't think it's a question of just turning up and winning, England have a track record of getting beaten badly by the Kiwis in world cups. If there is any swing up front, we can kiss this world cup goodbye because Boult is likely to run through our top order.
England hadn't beaten India for 30 years at a World Cup either. I just don't buy into the relevance of a game 4 years ago, let alone a game 34 years ago. They just mean nothing.

And I obviously don't mean literally turn up. England are obviously going to turn up. I mean turn up and play to something like their abilities. If they do that, they'll win.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Not sure Southee is any better equipped to bowl short stuff than Henry is. And that's who would miss out. Someone got it spot on, the only reason Southee is being mentioned is because we're losing. Not because he's a decent selection. Henry has bowled OK. But hey, Stead and co opted for Sodhi for no reason in the last game as a knee-jerk to the game before that, so let's wait and see.

I don't know that we edge anything. We have one spinner, you have two. Ours might be the superior one but not by too long a stretch. We're absolutely carrying a poorly performing keeper. We are carrying 3 guys in our top 5. Our bowling is OK, Boult is 100% world class and Ferguson has been good, but it's nothing that will scare England.

We aren't favourites. We can win, but if England bat first and get 320+ you can basically kiss it goodbye. We'd have to knock them over.

alexaston

Cricket Spectator
Totally irrelevant unless you’re superstitious. Most or all of the players involved weren’t even born 36 years ago. What’s relevant is recent form and England’s form has been better over the last couple of years even though New Zealand have been better so far in this World Cup.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
I really can't see us beating England after that woeful chase against the Aussies. Been in a filthy mood for the past couple of days, and now just hope we did enough against the relatively weaker sides to qualify for the Semis. And if we make it, I really really hope we play Australia again and get the chance to make up for the utter humiliation we suffered last time.