• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Bahseph

State Captain
To the Australian posters,is Burns really the third best opener in Australia at the moment? He looked shot from the first Test. It would be easy to just go on numbers but where do Renshaw , Harris and Bancroft fit in? I'm just trying to figure out why Wade was bumped up to open all of a sudden.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
To the Australian posters,is Burns really the third best opener in Australia at the moment? He looked shot from the first Test. It would be easy to just go on numbers but where do Renshaw , Harris and Bancroft fit in? I'm just trying to figure out why Wade was bumped up to open all of a sudden.
Renshaw is a middle order bat now, Harris and bancroft have worse test numbers burns.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Renshaw doesn't even open anymore and has been very poor for 2/3 years with a plummeting average (gone full Haseeb Hameed).
Harris has been consistently good at FC level but has struggled against the moving ball at test level (surprising since he plays late).
Bancroft has been outshone by his opening partner Sam Whiteman as of recent times.

The three form openers in Australian FC cricket are Harris, Pucovski, Whiteman and maybe you could add Dan Hughes, who was good at the end of last season before dropping off early this season.

Spark

Global Moderator
Renshaw doesn't even open anymore and has been very poor for 2/3 years with a plummeting average (gone full Haseeb Hameed).
Harris has been consistently good at FC level but has struggled against the moving ball at test level (surprising since he plays late).
Bancroft has been outshone by his opening partner Sam Whiteman as of recent times.

The three form openers in Australian FC cricket are Harris, Pucovski, Whiteman and maybe you could add Dan Hughes, who was good at the end of last season before dropping off early this season.
Harris's principal problem is that his primary front foot scoring zone is driving square through the offside. That just isn't a good plan at Test level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Harris's principal problem is that his primary front foot scoring zone is driving square through the offside. That just isn't a good plan at Test level.
Especially not as an opener.

It's always made sense that Langer likes him though....

Teja.

Global Moderator
The talk is:

Rohit for Mayank
KL for Vihari
Natarajan for Umesh (injured)

This Indian team is like the Ship of Theseus. If the above is true, only four players in the squad will play all of the first three tests - Rahane, Pujara, Ashwin and Bumrah. It's pretty insane.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopefully Rohit's outside off technique isnt anally probed by Cummins too bad. Could get runs on a flat deck but if not, could be a challenge. Automatic upgrade on the other options though no doubt.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The best part is we will have a top 5 all capable of scoring not just 100s but daddy 100s. Something we cannot overlook if we end up playing at he SCG or even at the MCG.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Openers in the last round of shield:

NSW:
Hughes (32yo with fc average of 38)
Larkin (30yo with fc average of 31)

Tas:
Wakim (29yo with fc average of 31)
Silk (28yo with fc average of 30)

Vic:
Pucovski (22yo with fc average of 54)
Harris (28yo with fc average of 38)

WA:
Bancroft (28yo with fc average of 38)
Whiteman (28yo with fc average of 36)

QLD:
Street (22yo fc average 35)
Burns (31yo fc average 39)

SA:
McInerney (26yo fc average 21)
Hunt (24yo fc average 32)

Pucovski is literally the only opener in the shield to average higher than 40.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Also, playing 3 #11s sucks, but its not like Umesh was making runs anyways. Maybe Nattu will hang around and help the batsman at the other end better than Shami or Umesh too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The talk is:

Rohit for Mayank
KL for Vihari
Natarajan for Umesh (injured)

This Indian team is like the Ship of Theseus. If the above is true, only four players in the squad will play all of the first three tests - Rahane, Pujara, Ashwin and Bumrah. It's pretty insane.
Will be the same even if the same XI plays the 4th test, right? :laugh:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Im quickly coming to the conclusion that Jadeja is flat out undroppable regardless of conditions. He's been consistently good with the bat for almost 3 years now to the extent where I trust him to make a decent contribution more than anyone apart from Kohli/Rahane/Chepu. **** team configuration considerations, I think he should be treated as the incumbent instead of being dropped for the mythical "extra batsman" who has always been a worse batsman than him. He has too much value to be left out as frequently as he is.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Im quickly coming to the conclusion that Jadeja is flat out undroppable regardless of conditions. He's been consistently good with the bat for almost 3 years now to the extent where I trust him to make a decent contribution more than anyone apart from Kohli/Rahane/Chepu. **** team configuration considerations, I think he should play be the incumbent instead of dropping him for the mythical "extra batsman" who has always been a worse batsman than him. He has too much value to be left out as frequently as he is.
If only someone else said this earlier this year. :p

And honestly, same for Ashwin AFAIC. Injuries aside, he has not bowled badly in a test for a while now.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Im quickly coming to the conclusion that Jadeja is flat out undroppable regardless of conditions. He's been consistently good with the bat for almost 3 years now to the extent where I trust him to make a decent contribution more than anyone apart from Kohli/Rahane/Chepu. **** team configuration considerations, I think he should be treated as the incumbent instead of being dropped for the mythical "extra batsman" who has always been a worse batsman than him. He has too much value to be left out as frequently as he is.
yep i was thinking about this earlier. there aren't 6-7 indian batsman superior to him at test level. he should play every bloody game.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The way Hardik is developing as a batsman too, I reckon he's also a must have in our Test squad. I believe in him way more than the likes of Vihari, Rahul and whoevs.