• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Swing bowling is the pace equivalent of finger spin. It's a necessary art but it's highly condition dependent. Much better to get seam movement, which is harder to play anyway.

Waqar and Steyn are the only out and out swing bowlers who have been regularly threatening everywhere in the world. Both of those guys had express pace to go with it though. And even then, Waqar struggled in Australia and Steyn tended to have long periods of not much and then run through entire line ups.
I feel like you’re arbitrarily putting bowlers into boxes when they should be on spectrums. Every fast bowler is a mix of pace, bounce, swing, reverse swing, seam and control. I’ve never seen a bowler who exclusively swung the ball and never found a bit of seam or bounce. You’re criticising a type of bowler that just doesn’t really exist.

Though tbf it’s a much better argument than the ****e you were talking about Anderson before.

Compton

International Debutant
Tell you what though, what a thing of beauty it is when a swing bowler tears through a line-up.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
The team should be

Harris - Bancroft is not going to get any runs
Warner - Out of form but that might change
Khawaja - not scoring runs, needs to score runs
Head - Doing okay
Wade - Century good, failures otherwise. Needs to get more consistent
Labuschagne - Good innings but needs to do it again
Paine - Well he is the captain and the best keeper on tour
Pattinson - Is in the three best bowlers so should play
Cummins - CHAMPION!!!!
Hazlewood - Just edges out Siddle
Lyon - Plays unless a pitch is as green as the very green outfield and then still might play.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Glad Smith out but only for his safety. Yes it gives us a huge extra advantage but his health comes first ahead of any rivalry even if it is an Ashes series. Hope he returns for 4th test on the bounciest track we have. See how he copes with Archer then.
It's actually lack of bounce that got him. Both balls that hit him were obviously lower than he expected. This seems to be a common pattern with batsmen being hit. Starc hit several batsmen on a similarly slow, though much flatter pitch at Manuka earlier this year, with deliveries that were not as high as anticipated. Think McGrath hitting Lara too, and Langer ducking into a not particularly short one from Ntini.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
It's actually lack of bounce that got him. Both balls that hit him were obviously lower than he expected. This seems to be a common pattern with batsmen being hit. Starc hit several batsmen on a similarly slow, though much flatter pitch at Manuka earlier this year, with deliveries that were not as high as anticipated. Think McGrath hitting Lara too, and Langer ducking into a not particularly short one from Ntini.
He was also in a lot of pain from his arm which might have impaired his decision making.

Starfighter

Tell you what though, what a thing of beauty it is when a swing bowler tears through a line-up.
Absolutely the best thing, especially if they're swinging it at a high pace so you get the combined effect. Seam movement can be devastating, sheer pace is always adrenaline inducing, but swing is when you get the real mind games.

Last edited:

Compton

International Debutant
All of the Australian batsmen playing in the County Championship picked an incredible time to have a universally drab set of performances.

the big bambino

International Captain
He was also in a lot of pain from his arm which might have impaired his decision making.
That's about it. I reckon he wanted to prove how hard he was an wanted some kind of revenge. He stopped batting in the bubble and was baited into settling a vendetta. Yet if he was wearing an arm guard it would have saved him a lot of pain and the consequences that followed.

Starfighter

He should never have stayed on. You don't make good decisions in pain, and being hit there hurts a heck of a lot. Go get some ice on it and come back in at the fall of the next wicket or something. Cummins handled Archer almost serenely and Siddle stuck in there well enough. But the observation that the ball was lower than expected stands.

Dropping kpat and burns looking even worse now
I can see the concerns about Burn's technique, but he can bat down the order and knows how to ton up in tests. Dropping Patterson was ludicrous, and it was ludicrous that he had to wait so long to be selected in the first place considering the alternatives we've tried.

This series is starting to reek of 2005.
I know. It sucks, because after the first test I was beginning to mount up a just a little bit of hope that we could win this.

Flem274*

123/5
you still can win. roots batting with a stick atm and the others are very gettable. don't collapse as bad as england, get stokes out, get the ashes.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
He should never have stayed on. You don't make good decisions in pain, and being hit there hurts a heck of a lot. Go get some ice on it and come back in at the fall of the next wicket or something. Cummins handled Archer almost serenely and Siddle stuck in there well enough. But the observation that the ball was lower than expected stands.

I can see the concerns about Burn's technique, but he can bat down the order and knows how to ton up in tests. Dropping Patterson was ludicrous, and it was ludicrous that he had to wait so long to be selected in the first place considering the alternatives we've tried.

I know. It sucks, because after the first test I was beginning to mount up a just a little bit of hope that we could win this.
The Patterson decision was ludicrous, instead we have Mitch Marsh wasting space as he is not going to get picked.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Australians on here are naturally pessimistic. A few conceded the First Test several times until half way through Day 4. Some even conceded the Ashes when Smith got hit. I think only Social trusted the team to bat 45 overs.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Be a good time for Head to chalk up a ton this test. I’m guessing CA are really hoping he succeeds because I doubt Paine will be around much longer than this home summer

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
you still can win. roots batting with a stick atm and the others are very gettable. don't collapse as bad as england, get stokes out, get the ashes.
England and Australian batting lineups are not good enough. Smith was the difference but now he is gone they are pretty evenly bad with Warner and Root both out of form.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Glad Smith out but only for his safety. Yes it gives us a huge extra advantage but his health comes first ahead of any rivalry even if it is an Ashes series. Hope he returns for 4th test on the bounciest track we have. See how he copes with Archer then.
He'll take him apart. The bounce being up and down is what got him at Lord's. You'd rather face a really fast blokes at the WACA or Gabba than a deck like the last one which is up and down.