• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australians on here are naturally pessimistic. A few conceded the First Test several times until half way through Day 4. Some even conceded the Ashes when Smith got hit. I think only Social trusted the team to bat 45 overs.
I said from Friday they were the only side to win, but by Sunday night I was so pissed I didn't post anything, so it may well have been I would have changed my mind, though doubtful.

I stand by what I said from half way through the first test - England isn't winning a test this series. It's done. Only weather will stop 4-0. The pace attacks balance each other out, Lyon is a million miles better than any spinner in England and the batting is special needs for both sides without Smith.

Gob

International Coach
I said from Friday they were the only side to win, but by Sunday night I was so pissed I didn't post anything, so it may well have been I would have changed my mind, though doubtful.

I stand by what I said from half way through the first test - England isn't winning a test this series. It's done. Only weather will stop 4-0. The pace attacks balance each other out, Lyon is a million miles better than any spinner in England and the batting is special needs for both sides without Smith.
I'm not this optimistic tbh. Anyway what a win it would be if they can pull it off in the next test. To do it without him would give them immense confidence

Sportsrahi

Cricket Spectator
If Steve Smith miss the 3rd test it will be a tough situation for Australia to win, as he is the only one to stood up and makes it almost impossible for England to win.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It is a real shame Smith is out, but his health has to come first. A cautious approach is absolutely what is required with concussions and other head impact related issues

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

I was referring to the knee-jerking during the match. Your brand of jingoism no matter what is happening doesn't really count.

Burgey

I was referring to the knee-jerking during the match. Your brand of jingoism no matter what is happening doesn't really count.
Rubbish. No jingoism here. My predictions may or may not come to pass, but they are always evidence based and my analysis is always first rate. That's what sets us greats apart from the riff raff. You see these other numpties - oh I think maybe this, possibly that. Hedging their bets. Not me. I'm always out there giving the big performance, mate. Doing the Placido Domingo.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I knew we'd win the 1st and put a bet on us at 8-130 odd in the first innings

As soon as Smith got injured in the second I lost a lot of faith though

Compton

International Debutant
Barring bad weather, if England can’t beat a Smith-less Australia at Headingley then they ought to be having some deep, deep soul searching.

trundler

They have the home advantage now. Smith basically nullified any difference in bowling because of how much he strengthened the batting. We're now back to less bad batting winning.

Uppercut

I might just be scarred from previous series but I always feel like Australia are more likely to collapse completely in England. They’re all crap in the same way- they can’t handle swing- whereas England’s batsmen are crap in many different ways.

hazsa19

International Regular
I just want to go on record, as I do most times the discussion of 09 comes up, that it's easy my favourite cricket series ever.

Quality of cricket it's nowhere near but a clash of circumstances mean I was able to submerge myself wholly in a way I've never been able to before or since. And in a fairly tricky time in life that little urn meant a little bit more to me than it probably should have. So if anyone ever wants to talk 09 Ashes just hit me up. I've even got a half written novel set during the series for ****s sake.
It's up there for me too. Being at uni from 2008-2011, I naturally watched pretty much every ball of the 09 and 10/11 series. I remember being in a pub in mid Wales trying to explain what on earth was going on as Monty and Jimmy did what they did. Happy times.

2015 had its moments I suppose but was mainly five one-sided matches rather than the close contest a 3-2 scoreline might suggest
2013 is weirdly underrated. TB was a legit great Test Match, Durham would've been if it weren't a dead rubber. The Oval had it's moments too, if it was a bit artificial. Lords was entertaining too, was like watching us play a blind team at times.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
2013 is weirdly underrated. TB was a legit great Test Match, Durham would've been if it weren't a dead rubber. The Oval had it's moments too, if it was a bit artificial. Lords was entertaining too, was like watching us play a blind team at times.
Maybe that's because it was so soon followed by the 2013/14 annihilation.
If I was feeling pedantic I'd argue that Durham wasn't a dead rubber in terms of the series, even if it was in terms of the Ashes. To me, it didn't feel like a dead rubber at the time.
But thinking about it, it didn't help that the ashes were decided by the 3rd test.

Agreed with you and GIMH about 2009 though. Loved that series for so many reasons.