• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I remember when I had more time on my hands I’d argue with people using strike rate to judge batsmen. In a lot of the toughest situations it’s better to score slowly and I think this test really showed that.
The ability to soak up pressure and then apply it yourself when the time is right is so valuable, scoring slowly always leaves the risk of having little to show for a lot of effort, and you can swing momentum by counter-attacking successfully, but today 100% showed how the patience of Root, Denly and Stokes himself paid off, mind you England still needed that little booster from Bairstow to get going this morning

Woodster

International Captain
That is the most unbelievable innings I think I’ve ever seen! Outrageous, he had no right to even contemplate some of those shots in the circumstances, but pure self-belief and absolute skill are the end result of a man that we’re made to believe works incredibly hard at his game. No words will do justice to his efforts in this Test!

tanglewood

Cricket Spectator
I don't understand why when it got down to 40 odd to win and it was clear Stokes was in the zone that the Aussies didn't just automatically go into ODI death bowling. Yorkers, slower balls and bouncers, nothing else. They carried on bowling length for far too long and got walloped.

Hazlewood's over that started 466 for example was dreadful. Can tell why he didn't make the World Cup squad.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For some reason I found this way more bearable than the World Cup final.

Felt less drawn out maybe? Not sure.
Maybe because the win was so unexpected?

I was stuck at work which was unbelievably **** but managed to catch most of it on TMS. Not being able actually see it makes it so much more tense. there was a bit where Aggers said six our out......long pause before six. Then the Lyon bit I had absolutely no idea what was going on for a second there.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It was different to the WC final in that it was always a long shot until we got within 20, whereas I always felt we were in the game in the final save maybe going into the last over or two.

Also, once we tied the scores today I can't be the only one who then knew that the job was done? All stress left me at that point and I just awaited the winning runs

91Jmay

International Coach
Said it earlier today but got to think the slow batting from us yesterday really helped today. We basically played as though for a draw for long chunks and while it meant it took us a bloody long time to get the runs, we were facing very tired bowlers when it came to the crunch.

I think this match may have surpassed Edgbaston 05.
You mean batting like it is a Test Match is good in a Test match? Don't let the intent brigade hear you say that.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I know you're a professional troll but the **** were you watching? He creamed the vast majority of those shots.
Definitely some thick edges that just barely made it over the deep fielders, some of the best timing were his 4s in fact, along with the little pick-up over square leg for that full toss, the reverse slog sweep, and the ramp

Not to take anything away from him but he definitely was inches from disaster more than once due some slight mistiming on the lofted shots, but he got away with them

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
It was different to the WC final in that it was always a long shot until we got within 20, whereas I always felt we were in the game in the final save maybe going into the last over or two.

Also, once we tied the scores today I can't be the only one who then knew that the job was done? All stress left me at that point and I just awaited the winning runs
Sort of, but I think that was more to do with the fact a tie would have been a pretty great result too. I was already satisfied at that point.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Definitely some thick edges that just barely made it over the deep fielders, some of the best timing were his 4s in fact, along with the little pick-up over square leg for that full toss, the reverse slog sweep, and the ramp

Not to take anything away from him but he definitely was inches from disaster more than once due some slight mistiming on the lofted shots, but he got away with them
He was trying to argue he didn't hit them that cleanly though. It's such an obviously nonsense point. He probably nailed 15 out of the 19 boundaries.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
England should get bowled out for double figures more often. Seems to go well
Ha. Not won a test this summer with a three figure first innings score yet. Unreal.

What does one say? Stokes's innings was just up there, wasn't it? England had no right to win that. None.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sort of, but I think that was more to do with the fact a tie would have been a pretty great result too. I was already satisfied at that point.
Aye well there's the simple fact that the Ashes remained live once we'd tied

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sweepstakes - England score

68 - MW1304
127 - stephen
156 - Fuller Pilch
162 - Burgey
163 - trundler
171 - Uppercut
182 - flibbertyjibber
207 - morgieb