• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Match - New Zealand v Sri Lanka

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Borges

International Regular
Well done Kiwis; a firm first step towards the semi finals. Now I need the South Africans to buck up.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Good work NZ. Props to Munro and Henry who both did well, Munro actually played a mostly risk free innings for s change.

Jezroy

State Captain
Good work NZ. Props to Munro and Henry who both did well, Munro actually played a mostly risk free innings for s change.
That's the thing that infuriates me about him. That ODI over summer where he got 87 (or whatever), he actually looked like he was reigning himself in and not trying to blast everything.

It's almost like when he DOES go out there trying to blast from the start, to me it wreaks of a guy that thinks he's not going to be in for long so he may as well make as many as he can as fast as he can.

There was a bit of that last night, but also some of the control. Problem being that it was against a not so great bowling attack. Would be so much happier to see him play a semi responsible innings against some of the bigger teams.

Saying that, as Baz pointed out in comms, both openers used their feet/the charge well to put the SL bowlers off a good length. Then that shorter length that they were forced to bowl was nowhere near as dangerous. Kind of opposite of what WI did to Pak... The length that should have been more dangerous for us was a "test match" kind of length, but Gup Munnerz put them off.

204*

Cricket Spectator
Good win to start the tournament off, but how much can you actually read into that victory given how Sri Lanka have performed in ODI cricket over the last 18 months or so. I still believe NZ are lacking a genuine consistent all rounder who can come in and score a quick fire 40+ off 20 odd balls and take wickets without conceding too many runs.

Jezroy

State Captain
I still believe NZ are lacking a genuine consistent all rounder who can come in and score a quick fire 40+ off 20 odd balls and take wickets without conceding too many runs.
As are most teams.

Problem is the consistency. Neesham, CDG, Munro, Southee, Henry, Sodhi, Nicholls, Ferguson, have all had their moments to varying degrees and amounts.

I would say our most consistent players are Kane, Ross, and Boult.

Then reasonably consistent players you’d have Guptill, Santner, and Latham. Ferguson is probably actually pretty close to this group, and hopefully his steady progression and threat continue.

So any other time, you’re banking on 5 players from the rest of the squad (Blundell of course we don’t know how consistent he is at ODI level) to contribute.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still believe NZ are lacking a genuine consistent all rounder who can come in and score a quick fire 40+ off 20 odd balls and take wickets without conceding too many runs.
I don't think there are many players in the world who match that description.

trundler

There's Russell and Stokes I guess. Hardik on his his day. Imad every few blue moons. CdG is as good as any for that role.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
That was an awesome performance by the black caps. I was worried a bit after just one wicket in about 6 overs and then SL just succumbed to some good bowling.

All guns firing for NZ, batting looks in top notch. Nicolls and Blundell are also in very good touch if required. I'm getting a bit excited now with our chances in the world cup particularly if they dish up pitches such as last night or the one in the warm up vs India. What a turn around for Matt Henry? Going for over 100 in the last game and bowling beautifully this game. Although bit early I think Black caps have an outside chance.

Flem274*

123/5
it really depends on how he's used. he's not his 2015 self, but if he can rediscover that form then using him like a more aggressive kyle mills would be perfect. bowl him out early so he either smashes the oppo or goes for a normal amount of runs, then use lockie and lovely trenty at the end.

if he's going to continue to trundle in bowling 130 clicks halfway down then he needs to be replaced asap by someone who isn't tim southee. i tend to think this is likely to need to happen.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree, he'll be back to his spells of 0/1-70 off 10 if we get a decent opposition on a flat wicket.
Maybe, but the thing that Henry brings is a real threat with the new ball. He took wickets against India earlier this summer, his record over the past 4 years is, all in all, very good and he bowls with decent pace (mainly in the high 130’s). Is he perfect? No, and his presence in the XI is a little all or nothing. But on his day he can take wickets against anyone, and he’s by far the best option we have for partnering with Boult (now that Bennett is sadly out of the picture). This btw is why I was comfortable naming Henry in my first choice XI even after he got taken apart by WI.

Zinzan

Maybe, but the thing that Henry brings is a real threat with the new ball. He took wickets against India earlier this summer, his record over the past 4 years is, all in all, very good and he bowls with decent pace (mainly in the high 130’s). Is he perfect? No, and his presence in the XI is a little all or nothing. But on his day he can take wickets against anyone, and he’s by far the best option we have for partnering with Boult (now that Bennett is sadly out of the picture). This btw is why I was comfortable naming Henry in my first choice XI even after he got taken apart by WI.
Well yeah, with only he & Southee vying for that 3rd seamers spot, he's gotta be there or thereabouts, and after that performance, he goes ahead of Southee.

He was excellent last night, but he's expected to be on a green seamer against poor opposition. My concern is his inability of a plan B or C when banging it on a good test match length isn't working for him, which I suspect will be more often than not assuming most games are played on flat decks.

Last edited:

Zinzan

it really depends on how he's used. he's not his 2015 self, but if he can rediscover that form then using him like a more aggressive kyle mills would be perfect. bowl him out early so he either smashes the oppo or goes for a normal amount of runs, then use lockie and lovely trenty at the end.

if he's going to continue to trundle in bowling 130 clicks halfway down then he needs to be replaced asap by someone who isn't tim southee. i tend to think this is likely to need to happen.
I agree Henry's got to pretty much be done by the 25th over, if not a 7-8 over spell up front ala Kyle Mills