• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

37th Match - New Zealand v Bangladesh (13th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antihippy

International Debutant
So I couldn't keep track of it, but was it boult or southee that some NZ fans didn't want in the squad before the WC?

Antihippy

International Debutant
It was Boult.

I am quite happy I wasn't one of them.
Yeah he's been immense this tournament.

I actually really can't see how any team can beat NZ in NZ if these two can keep it hooping for awhile. Just fantastic new ball bowling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So I couldn't keep track of it, but was it boult or southee that some NZ fans didn't want in the squad before the WC?
Boult. It was more a question of management more than anything else though; he hadn't actually done anything in ODIs when the squad was picked. No-one just straight up thought he was **** (he's a much loved Test bowler) but the feeling was that he should have actually played more ODIs in the 12 months leading up to the Cup in order to win his place based on performance (something that no-one denied he had the ability to do) if he was in the plans of the coach and selectors. The fact that Matt Henry was left out of the squad despite taking 21 wickets @ 15 in ODIs added to the drama.

Last edited:

Antihippy

International Debutant
Boult. It was more a question of management more than anything else though; he hadn't actually done anything in ODIs when the squad was picked. No-one just straight up throught he was **** (he's a much loved Test bowler) but the feeling was that he should have actually played more ODIs in the 12 months leading up to the Cup in order to win his place based on performance (something that no-one denied he had the ability to do) if he was in the plans of the coach and selectors. The fact that Matt Henry was left out of the squad despite taking 21 wickets @ 15 in ODIs added to the drama.
Thanks for adding in more context. Guess it was more about trying not to upset the ODI squad too much leading up to a major tournament?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thanks for adding in more context. Guess it was more about trying not to upset the ODI squad too much leading up to a major tournament?
Yeah pretty much. I think, six months out, most people were pencilling Boult into their squads.. but they expected him to be actually selected in ODIs to win that spot. He kept being rested though, and when it was time to name the squad it came down to a choice between:

Boult - 10 ODI wickets @ 40
Henry - 21 ODI wickets @ 15

... so it wasn't straight-forward.

Most fans here evidently place more emphasis on actually performing in ODIs when it comes to picking a World Cup squad than the selectors do, but all of them would've actually played Boult more beforehand so it didn't get to that situation. I still think it was poorly managed, created an unnecessary gamble and also created the risk of creating a selection culture separate to performance, but the results speak for themselves, so what do I know? :p

Niall

International Coach
Because of 2014.

ODIs were always his stronger suit so after he defied all cricketing sense by performing well in Tests last year, they brought him back here as injury cover. He was on a hiding to nothing though given he'd barely stepped off the plane when they rushed him into the side.

Runs on a road against Sri Lanka and some more against Zimbabwe,still a hack. An ODI average of 26 with a strikerate of 64 and a test average of 22? He is a spud.