• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah we haven’t blown it at all with that decision. Seriously - 260 AO day two and 1/30 in reply of a four day test is fine. As much as it’s a semi-regular occurrence, you can’t assume you’re going to collapse all the time
You can't assume England are going to collapse all the time either, as much as that's also a regular occurrence.

Look up, not down is the standard rule of thumb for the toss in England. Maybe you'd deviate from that on a very grassy pitch, but this one was flat and dry. The two toughest innings will probably be the 2nd and 4th.

morgieb

Nah we haven’t blown it at all with that decision. Seriously - 260 AO day two and 1/30 in reply of a four day test is fine. As much as it’s a semi-regular occurrence, you can’t assume you’re going to collapse all the time
You can if there's only one batsman :p

Plus I'm pretty sure the forecast said for the first half of today it was going to be rather cloudy, which basically meant that even if England had been bowled out cheapish they were going to get the chance to do the same in Australia's first innings. As long as you batted OK on Day 1 (2) if you batted first you probably weren't going to lose.

Burgey

This is good, disciplined stuff, but there’s going to need to be a glitch in the TPC Matrix if he loses patience, goes after these and nicks one. Still, they’re being very patient which is excellent discipline

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
There's some theories, and possibly a combination of factors may be at play, but there's actually no confirmed mechanism to make the ball swing more when it's cloudy, cool, humid, under lights, whatever, at least in any of the papers I've read. It's one of cricket's semi-mysteries. And the idea that it will seam more when cloudy or under lights is obviously silly.
Agree about cloud cover not impacting seam movement. But the ball does seem to nip through a bit quicker whenever the lights are on. I'm not really sure why.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, lots of them are doing the play by numbers craptaincy book and look ordinary.
I wouldn't call Paine's captaincy "play by numbers" tbh, If anything if he stuck to completely conventional ideas - bowl over the wicket before you try extended periods around to a guy with noted issues outside off stump, bat first when it's sunny, the pitch is dry and you have a world class spinner - it would be a huge improvement. His problem is that he seems to get weird ideas for dumb reasons and then sticks to them for too long.

Uppercut

This is good, disciplined stuff, but there’s going to need to be a glitch in the TPC Matrix if he loses patience, goes after these and nicks one. Still, they’re being very patient which is excellent discipline
Maybe the plan is to leave him stranded. I'm only half-joking.

Burgey

You can if there's only one batsman :p

Plus I'm pretty sure the forecast said for the first half of today it was going to be rather cloudy, which basically meant that even if England had been bowled out cheapish they were going to get the chance to do the same in Australia's first innings. As long as you batted OK on Day 1 (2) if you batted first you probably weren't going to lose.
You’re test cricketers mate. You back yourself to work through whatever the forecast.

Nah, the third innings batting side is the only one which will lose this game. Either Australia follows on and are under the pump or the only other way there’s a result is if england collapses third dig after Australia reaches parity or takes a lead.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In a public hospital. Fantastic gig, would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to work hard enough to be doctor or nurse.
Nice. Biology is 100x easier than Chemistry for me to understand so my path is pretty set. Failed Pharmacology subjects at my uni coz we were doing the same unit as the pharm students(Sydney Uni bull****) and I realised I'm too dumb to be a pharmacist ha

flibbertyjibber

I wouldn't call Paine's captaincy "play by numbers" tbh, If anything if he stuck to completely conventional ideas - bowl over the wicket before you try extended periods around to a guy with noted issues outside off stump, bat first when it's sunny, the pitch is dry and you have a world class spinner - it would be a huge improvement. His problem is that he seems to get weird ideas for dumb reasons and then sticks to them for too long.
Yeah Paine is weird, Root makes Cook and Strauss seem brilliant tacticians though when they clearly weren't. As much as we think the bloke is a prune we are crying out for a Vaughan who comes up with ideas for each player with his coach and executes that plan perfectly. Seems to not be many good skippers anywhere.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree about cloud cover not impacting seam movement. But the ball does seem to nip through a bit quicker whenever the lights are on. I'm not really sure why.
You see, I don't think it does myself. I think a lot of these things are perceptual and opinions vary from person to person. Test cricket in particular has a lot of that, and it's been very persistent over the years even when majority opinions are wrong.

Burgey

Yeah Paine is weird, Root makes Cook and Strauss seem brilliant tacticians though when they clearly weren't. As much as we think the bloke is a prune we are crying out for a Vaughan who comes up with ideas for each player with his coach and executes that plan perfectly. Seems to not be many good skippers anywhere.
He had he attack to execute the plans