• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Five (5) years of waiting
It's certainly the best I've seen him bowl since that 16/17 summer.

Have they even left a ball off him? Either they've had to play at it or missed it. That's the first runs off him since his first over too.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All the talk of dropping Roy and we still pick Denly. Neither should be in the side really but at least we know why Roy is in as we have no options to open. Denly just seems a dopey choice.
On what basis was Denly picked in the first place? I know there's guys in CC scoring more than him. The talk around him that I remember always seemed to be over vague qualities rather than weight of runs.

Woodster

International Captain
Bull****. Finch never succeeded as an opener at first class level, and failed at tests when given the opportunity. Roy has never succeeded as a first class opener either. If someone fails in easier first class matches it defies logic to think that they would succeed in tests where attacks are better and opening harder.
Ok, please offer a solid case for another opener to have Roy’s spot ? Should we have more options of better quality and opening batsmen more suited to opening in English conditions with a solid first-class record behind them, then the selectors could correctly have asked Jason Roy to go back to Surrey and make some runs at the top if he wants to open for England.

flibbertyjibber

On what basis was Denly picked in the first place? I know there's guys in CC scoring more than him. The talk around him that I remember always seemed to be over vague qualities rather than weight of runs.
Hunch from Smith I think. Only reason I can see.

TheJediBrah

The real dangermen for England are 5-7. The earlier we can get them in the better. Stokes/Buttler/Bairstow could do some real damage on this 500+ par wicket

Woodster

International Captain
All the talk of dropping Roy and we still pick Denly. Neither should be in the side really but at least we know why Roy is in as we have no options to open. Denly just seems a dopey choice.
I rate Roy as an opener slightly more than this, but I agree with most of that.

TheJediBrah

Ok, please offer a solid case for another opener to have Roy’s spot ? Should we have more options of better quality and opening batsmen more suited to opening in English conditions with a solid first-class record behind them, then the selectors could correctly have asked Jason Roy to go back to Surrey and make some runs at the top if he wants to open for England.
Woakes or Leach IMO. Seriously why not? I know it sounds crazy but England's team strengths are a bit unusual

TheJediBrah

All the talk about how **** Roy is opening in Tests, but I'm still happier that he's the one back in the sheds and Burns is still out there.