• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Match - West Indies v Pakistan at Trent Bridge

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly this match reminded me of the 80s WI. They'd bounce you out and then smash the runs without effort.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Well played guys. We're looking very good as long as Gayle and Russell are alright.

Pooran has to play ahead of Bravo surely? He needs a proper run in the side.

Borges

International Regular
West Indies really did not need to show any kind of application with the bat.

Pooran carrying on from where he left off in the IPL.

Spark

Global Moderator
Two teams that showed very little application with the bat on, what must be said, was an excellent surface
What sort of "application" do you need in a chase of 105? Run it down ASAP. You don't get extra points for being none down at the end.

Beamer

What sort of "application" do you need in a chase of 105? Run it down ASAP. You don't get extra points for being none down at the end.
Also I think our batting lineup has learned a lot from playing England and observing their mindset. For the last few years we were playing old fashioned cricket, batting the 50 overs, not rotating the strike very well etc. Now we just keep going hard (everyone except Bravo anyway) even if wickets fall. I would rather we get bowled out for 250 in 35 overs trying to get the big totals needed these days then bat out the overs and fail to get 300.

tooextracool

International Coach
Obviously application wasn't meant to indicate plodding along to the target. Mindless slogging and attempts to pull off the front foot shows a complete lack of understanding of how to play on that pitch - you can easily score at 8-9 an over by playing square and behind the wicket or just knocking the ball around and getting Gayle on strike.

My sense is that someone like Hope may be better served batting at 3 with Evan Lewis opening, I am not sure if the Gayle/Hope partnership is the right way to go.

Beamer

Obviously application wasn't meant to indicate plodding along to the target. Mindless slogging and attempts to pull off the front foot shows a complete lack of understanding of how to play on that pitch - you can easily score at 8-9 an over by playing square and behind the wicket or just knocking the ball around and getting Gayle on strike.

My sense is that someone like Hope may be better served batting at 3 with Evan Lewis opening, I am not sure if the Gayle/Hope partnership is the right way to go.
I think they will bat Hope at 3 against Australia with Lewis coming in for Bravo or Pooran. Hope averages over 100 opening but I don't think he and Gayle make for a good pair. When Gayle retires Hope will move up to open IMO and be extremely successful there, but he needs a partner who rotates the strike.

The lineup for the rest of this tournament looks pretty clear:

Gayle (might be rested once or twice due to his back)
Lewis
Hope (wk)
Pooran
Hetmeyer
Russell
Holder
Braithwaite/Allen
Nurse
Cotterell/Roach
Thomas/Gabriel

Looking particularly strong apart from the spin bowling, which I maintain will be costly at some point in the tournament.

smash84

The Tiger King
So it's Ramadan here and I slept just a little before the match started, woke up in a couple of hours to find WI were already chasing the target. **** this **** :@