• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2023–24 NZ women's summer

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
Yeah the players becoming fulltime and having more time in the gym would make a huge difference in that area.

I have noticed in the few games I've been to this season, they don't seem to be moving the boundaries in for the women's game like they used to, or certainly not as far anyway. A good change I think which gives us a more realistic view of where they're at. And I think it's shown this year with the scores coming down quite a bit from previous seasons, from what I've noticed.

But personally I don't mind it ... it's like watching an ODI from the 90s, where you might only see a couple of sixes per match.
I love it. Make 'em work for their runs! Earn your sixes!

DougieRydal

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm obv out of the loop - why has Gurrey only ever had 2 cracks for NZ? Every time I watch her she scores runs and her Super Smash record is good.

We're not exactly rolling in batswomen.
I wondered this too on Twitter recently. She is down as a WK on Cricinfo, but unsure how much keeping she's done.

On another note, speaking of people getting lots of chances, this is from 'The Niche Cache' guys...

White Ferns tell us Izzy Gaze is the best wicket-keeper/bat in NZ...
Last 10 scores: 1*, 6, 9, 2, 6, 11, 1, 0, 4, 6
23/24 Super Smash: 30 runs @ 4avg/47sr
ODI: 9.8avg/55sr T20I: 10.2avg/83sr

Ouch...

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah the players becoming fulltime and having more time in the gym would make a huge difference in that area.

I have noticed in the few games I've been to this season, they don't seem to be moving the boundaries in for the women's game like they used to, or certainly not as far anyway. A good change I think which gives us a more realistic view of where they're at. And I think it's shown this year with the scores coming down quite a bit from previous seasons, from what I've noticed.

But personally I don't mind it ... it's like watching an ODI from the 90s, where you might only see a couple of sixes per match.
Yeah I love this move. It's a bit patronising to have them so far in now when the womens game now has some very good power hitters.

It also means having a woman who can absolutely smoke it like Devine or Tryon is far more valuable than it was when even the touch players could bosh a six at will. The mens game should take note.

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah I had noticed it at Eden Park, and possibly Seddon and maybe McLean as well (don't quote me on that)...the boundaries were pretty much in position for a men's game and the commentators were still talking about how they were "small grounds". Realistically, the short boundaries at those grounds were still good-size boundaries compared to what you often see in women's cricket, while the comparatively longer boundaries (like square at Eden Park or straight at McLean) were extremely long. I'd like to think it was a conscious decision and not just "ah well our grounds are pretty small so we don't have to move the boundaries".

thierry henry

International Coach
On the flip side, while obviously the players are not as powerful as grown men, some of the boundaries at the current under-19 World Cup seem unnecessarily small.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It always felt to me like it belittled the game to have the boundaries so far in. And it limits progress - put them where they should be, and those women (given the opportunities to improve as professionals) will adapt their games.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember a WBBL game in Adelaide (I think), where the boundaries were brought in farcically close to the pitch and Sophie Devine was routinely yeeting the ball up to the top of the grass bank. It was glorious to watch.

Meanwhile, a fairly decent Super Smash for Melie.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Yeah I had noticed it at Eden Park, and possibly Seddon and maybe McLean as well (don't quote me on that)...the boundaries were pretty much in position for a men's game and the commentators were still talking about how they were "small grounds". Realistically, the short boundaries at those grounds were still good-size boundaries compared to what you often see in women's cricket, while the comparatively longer boundaries (like square at Eden Park or straight at McLean) were extremely long. I'd like to think it was a conscious decision and not just "ah well our grounds are pretty small so we don't have to move the boundaries".
Can confirm the boundaries weren't moved between games at the match I went to at McLean.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
I think I remembered either Martin or Mackay saying during SS that at Hagley, they had the boundaries for the women's matches at the maximum, which isn't that much smaller than the men's minimum dimensions. It would've likely been pretty similar at the likes of the Basin.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
UP THE SPARKIES!

What a season for Emma Black. If she doesn't get in the A squad...

A really good season for Inglis as well. If WFs HQ had their brains working, she'd be fighting Dodd to be 2nd choice keeper after McFadyen.

I fully expect the North vs South squads to be revealed in the morning, & we shouldn't be too far away from the reveal of the WFs & NZ A squads for the England tour.

Edit: okay, not today. Considering it's this weekend, they need to be announced ASAP.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Yeah, Black has been super impressive to watch.

Meanwhile, a monster all-round performance by Kerr for Mumbai overnight. What a gun.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
Where the hell are these North vs South squads? The series starts tomorrow, for crying out loud. Hopefully the players know, at least.

_Ed_

They've just been announced today:

Interesting line-ups. I'll be keeping a close eye on this.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
I had a look during lunch, & have been thinking about it during the afternoon.

Some of the selections were outright clangers. How in the world did Gaze get picked in a T20 series over McFadyen &/or Dodd? Neither covered themselves in glory this T20 season, but both should be there ahead of Gaze.

How the likes of Mackay, Gurrey & Burns failed to get a callup is perplexing, considering the number of players who are out.

I'm seriously dreading the NZ A announcement now.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
These would've been my "Armchair Squads":

North: Rebecca Burns, Prue Catton, Marama Downes, Caitlin Gurrey, Bree Illing, Xara Jetly, Leigh Kasperek (c), Jess McFadyen (wk), Thamsyn Newton, Josie Penfold, Georgia Plimmer, Saachi Shahri, Jess Watkin
South: Kate Anderson, Sarah Asmussen, Emma Black, Caitlin Blakely, Claudia Green, Polly Inglis (wk), Bella James, Hayley Jensen, Frankie Mackay (c), Felicity Robertson, Izzy Sharp, Gabby Sullivan, PJ Watkins

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
I know I complain about Gaze a lot, but props to her for doing what Burns, Kerr, Bates & Armitage all failed to do at McLean this season: hit a six.