• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2023–24 NZ women's summer

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
The first T20 could've been a lot closer if not for Asmussen & Green getting carted at the death. In fairness, these two have had limited experience against international-grade players, mostly NZ XI appearances (& Green is one of these players who gets callups but never plays). I'm afraid a lot of responsibility will be on the bowlers this tour to restrict England A to something chaseable.

They may not make much of a difference, but Gurrey, McFadyen or even Watkin could bolster this lot.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disappointing start to the T20I series. We'll obviously be stronger with our WPL players coming back in,... but so will England.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I'm not sure the wpl Eng players are returning for the T20 series. I think the ODIs only.

How does Izzy Gaze continue to get selected? She doesn't even get runs at domestic level.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
I expected it to be a lot worse.

I saw how England played in the warmup vs NZ A - from the way they played there, I thought 180 was on the cards today. Even after that, I thought the WFs wouldn't make it past 125; probably wouldn't have if Bates didn't stick around. Nice to see Plimmer hang around for a bit; after this she's back to the A team. Brooke Halliday, boy it was good seeing her stand up. New T20I HS, apparently. I know she's not really a T20 person, but it's good to see her do well. Only losing by 27 when you have no Devine & Melie? You take it.

The bowling & fielding need to shape up, though. The two Saxton games are the best shots for wins this series. Don't drop them!

_Ed_

DRS is probably new, yeah, but I think I've seen speed guns before - I always take an interest in Tahuhu's speeds.

Anyway, another loss today, albeit a bit closer. :(

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
Unlike Tuesday, today was disappointing.

England should've got rolled for somewhere between 100-125. There's just no killer instinct. Of course, Knight stuck around, but still. That's plenty to eliminate her partners even if she stays.

Why Carson didn't play this game, I've got no idea.

On the bright side, good on Gaze for reviewing. She probably heard the nick, but still. Good use of DRS, that's what it's there for.

Last edited:

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
I know you can't really complain about winning by over 100 runs, but that should've been wrapped up before 30 overs. The margin should've been up around 140-150.
If you've got them 8 down before 25 overs & they're still 160 behind, you really should put the stake in. They should not limp past 30 overs, let alone 40.

_Ed_

Watching today's game in a bit of a delay (only up to the innings break now), but that was a better batting performance. While it hasn't done much to ease those ever-present concerns about the middle and lower order, it was great to watch three of the top four really firing.

Bezuidenhout rides her luck a little bit, but her aggression and her speed between the wickets are real assets when she comes off.

Last edited:

_Ed_

That direct hit by Mair was glorious, and her first over with the ball was terrific as well.

EDIT: Her second one, not so much. Not sure if the one-over spells are working here.

_Ed_

What a win! (Let's not dwell on the non-wide in the last ball of the 19th. :ph34r:)

I thought we were down and out for most of that chase. Incredible comeback in front of a pretty decent Nelson crowd. That was a lot of fun to watch.

And the best thing is there's still room for plenty of improvement - a lot of our bowling was very loose.

Last edited:

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
Finally some positive news out of this tour. Always good to see a classic "Victory from the Jaws of Defeat" comeback.
Still nowhere near the best; while the batting showed up, the bowling showed up eventually, & Bates at the end, wow.

_Ed_

Kerr's consistency with the bat has been unbelievable lately. Even aside from her exploits in WBBL, Super Smash and WPL, she's averaging 49.8 from 19 T20Is dating back to October 2022. And a useful bowling average of 22.6 during that same period as well.

_Ed_

I hope we can sneak another win tomorrow - I reckon there might be a pretty good turnout at the Basin on Good Friday if it's a decider.

_Ed_

I hope we can sneak another win tomorrow - I reckon there might be a pretty good turnout at the Basin on Good Friday if it's a decider.
...or not. Between Devine's injury and our shambolic fielding, it's hard to imagine how that game could have gone much worse.

Credit to England, but jeez, we didn't make it hard for them. I lost count of the number of times Bouchier could/should have been out during her 90-odd.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
Look how pissed England A is at getting slaughtered in the first game. They've wheeled out Cross, for crying out loud.