• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2023–24 NZ women's summer

ataraxia

International Coach

Good article ahead of the season.

First round of 10 of the Hallyburton Johnstone was today. Looks like Thamsyn Newton's moved from Wellington to CD – probably good, she was struggling to justify a place for Wellington last season but could star for CD. Meanwhile Wellington found themselves 26–7 and lost – damn.

Other big moves: Jess Watkin from CD to ND; Maddy Green from Wellington to Auckland; Brooke Halliday from ND to Auckland. The women's provinces were so imbalanced – probably good for the game to have the Auckland team be improved tbh, as hateful as that is.

Domestix:
  • Hallyburton Johnstone Shield (broadcast on NZC YouTube), 10 rounds of weekend doubleheaders, 18 November–18 February (final 25 Feb)
  • Super Smash (broadcast on TVNZ), 10 rounds, 19 December–23 January; playoffs 26 & 28 Jan
Internationals:
  • Pakistan tour, 3–18 December, all matches in the South Island
    • Warmups 28 & 30 November
    • 3 T20Is: 3, 5, 9 December
    • 3 ODIs: 12, 15, 18 December
  • England tour (full team and A team), 16 March–7 April
    • 3 A-T20s and 3 A-ODIs, 16 March–30 March
    • 5 T20Is: 19, 22, 24, 27, 29 March
    • 3 ODIs: 1, 4, 7 April

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Nice to see a thread about this, never seem to find a spot to discuss it on here.

That was a pretty bad collapse from Wellington. No doubt she'll end up being a superstar because I've said this, but I always question Georgia Plimmer's standing in the women's game, she's a White Ferns regular but can barely scrape a run together for the Blaze. Today is the sort of game, with the stars missing, that she really should stand up in.

It is good to see Wellington lose a few players, even though I support them ... they can hopefully bring some of the Blaze professionalism and performance to other sides. I almost wish they'd lost one of their spinners, Kerr, Kasperek and Jetly are all great, but thats 60% of the attack, I'd love to see them develop some pace. The White Ferns need it!

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
How good was Emma Black? 4 wickets, all in the powerplay. Ripped them out.

Good from Atkinson & Greig for the Hinds to chase. I remembered that Atkinson, Inglis & Armstrong all went to Ireland during the offseason to play as overseas players in their domestics.

Too bad we didn't get a game up north. Hopefully we get one tomorrow.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
I read that article earlier today.

The domestic setup is what it is, They're all right: Devine, Halliday, Green, Tahuhu, they're all right. NZ is falling behind the Big 3, but so is everyone else outside the Big3. The advantage NZ has is that while the likes of SA are reforming & modernising their domestic structures, NZ has already been through that, so the main thing is modernising & ultimately professionalising it.
The Aus/Eng domestic players get paid more than our men's domestic players, & that's before you get to the likes of Gardner/Ecclestone who probably get paid similarly to our BCs, if not more. NZC doesn't need to shell out that kind of pay; even something comparable to our men's domestic players' retainers plus match fees would be great. The training thing is interesting as well - ND, in particular, seems to suffer with its decentralised player base.
Ultimately, it'll be 5-10 years before we see the effects of the stuff that's been done over the last 5 years. Meanwhile, we can still get angry at White Ferns HQ & their baffling selection policies, boneheadedly persisting with their Young Guns approach.

Flem274*

123/5
The women got equal match fees and a huge salary increase last year iirc. Being a White Fern is a comfortably upper middle class/straight upper class career now if you're a starter iirc. Well into six figures.

I assume we're expected to smash Pakistan and England will be the tester?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I think the article in the first post outlines the problems quite well, the players are coming from a domestic level that is really not great. And that's understandable with them having to work fulltime to support themselves. While it's fine for Women's Super Smash, you can watch and enjoy it because they're all at that level, when they reach international level the gap really becomes more obvious. Throwing money at the centrally contracted players is fine and hopefully allows them to improve, it's that next level down that needs help as well.

Here's an article which breaks down the payments: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/470367/nz-women-s-cricketers-get-match-fee-pay-parity-with-men

Men domestic battlers are doing pretty well, contracts are between $75-$102k. Women are on a $18-19,000 retainer, with match payments of $575 per Super Smash, $800 per Hallyburton Shield. It's those match payments which are equal to men. And each side has 12 contracted players, up from a rather sad 9 it was previously.

So I'm not saying they should instantly be equal pay, but also we can't expect the White Ferns to be able to compete with much better funded countries until they are. It's a long way to go until we are a leading women's side again, I think.

ataraxia

International Coach
That was a pretty bad collapse from Wellington. No doubt she'll end up being a superstar because I've said this, but I always question Georgia Plimmer's standing in the women's game, she's a White Ferns regular but can barely scrape a run together for the Blaze. Today is the sort of game, with the stars missing, that she really should stand up in.
I think she heard you.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can’t say it’s unexpected … pretty classic White Ferns performance.
Maybe, but Pakistan aren't a great side, and this is the first time we've ever lost a game to them. I was definitely expecting a clean sweep in this series, even with the weaknesses that we have.

Kerr coming back from the WBBL for the next game will help, but it's concerning how much we're depending on her.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
This Pakistan did sweep a series against SA just before our tour of SA, albeit at home. As long as the WFs win the next two & hammer them in the ODIs, it shouldn't be too big a problem.