• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2023–24 NZ women's summer

Flem274*

123/5
I'm obv out of the loop - why has Gurrey only ever had 2 cracks for NZ? Every time I watch her she scores runs and her Super Smash record is good.

We're not exactly rolling in batswomen.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, she's one I've wondered about too. Pretty consistently high-quality at domestic level (and often the only one holding a fairly flimsy batting line-up together).

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
I'm obv out of the loop - why has Gurrey only ever had 2 cracks for NZ? Every time I watch her she scores runs and her Super Smash record is good.

We're not exactly rolling in batswomen.
It's something I struggle to understand as well. Compared to the current WFs, you look at her domestic record & it kicks the butts of everyone who isn't Suzie Bates, Sophie Devine & Amelia Kerr. Ebrahim's in the same boat. Another particular source of annoyance for me is them flat out ignoring Dodd & McFadyen.

The WFs seemingly constant losses are hard to take when you know that the team taking to the field isn't the best team NZ can put up.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Reminds me of the RWC final - pretty average spectacle, but a hell of a finish...

(please no one tell Alice Soper I said that)

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Reminds me of the RWC final - pretty average spectacle, but a hell of a finish...

(please no one tell Alice Soper I said that)
There was some fantastic bowling from both sides I thought. Didn't seem like the easiest batting conditions ... will be interesting to see how the men go. Fielding was poor from both sides, unfortunately. Something all sides need to improve on next season.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
There was some fantastic bowling from both sides I thought. Didn't seem like the easiest batting conditions ... will be interesting to see how the men go. Fielding was poor from both sides, unfortunately. Something all sides need to improve on next season.
Couple of good catches in there but yeah, that does need to improve. I really enjoyed watching Mair bowl, really tidy action and pace. And Melie Kerr is obviously a class act.

I guess as the game builds in professionalism and the ability to train/play full-time etc, they will develop the fielding. But for me, it's the hitting that holds it back as a product. Something that the Aussies have as a weapon and probably why we're not touching them anytime soon. Two of what I presume were the best sides, and on a small ground straight, only one six...and neither could get any sort of run rate going.

Size-wise (I know this is shaky ground, in some ways) you have Devine and Armitage, but the rest struggle to create that leverage, bat speed and muscle to access the boundary easily enough. I'm sure that'll change, as I said as the women are rightly given the ability to spend more time on their games.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Couple of good catches in there but yeah, that does need to improve. I really enjoyed watching Mair bowl, really tidy action and pace. And Melie Kerr is obviously a class act.

I guess as the game builds in professionalism and the ability to train/play full-time etc, they will develop the fielding. But for me, it's the hitting that holds it back as a product. Something that the Aussies have as a weapon and probably why we're not touching them anytime soon. Two of what I presume were the best sides, and on a small ground straight, only one six...and neither could get any sort of run rate going.

Size-wise (I know this is shaky ground, in some ways) you have Devine and Armitage, but the rest struggle to create that leverage, bat speed and muscle to access the boundary easily enough. I'm sure that'll change, as I said as the women are rightly given the ability to spend more time on their games.
Yeah the players becoming fulltime and having more time in the gym would make a huge difference in that area.

I have noticed in the few games I've been to this season, they don't seem to be moving the boundaries in for the women's game like they used to, or certainly not as far anyway. A good change I think which gives us a more realistic view of where they're at. And I think it's shown this year with the scores coming down quite a bit from previous seasons, from what I've noticed.

But personally I don't mind it ... it's like watching an ODI from the 90s, where you might only see a couple of sixes per match.