• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

Howsie

International Captain
the auckland 12 listed on cricinfo looks really light on batting. i count 6 batting options, several of whom can bowl. jamieson can hit it a long way but surely they're not tempting fate with him at #7?
I’m pretty sure that if Jamieson is good enough to bat at eight in test cricket then he’s more than capable of batting at seven in domestic 20/20 cricket

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I’m pretty sure that if Jamieson is good enough to bat at eight in test cricket then he’s more than capable of batting at seven in domestic 20/20 cricket
Well in a way it depends how he bats a bit. I think Raymon Reifer is good enough to bat eight in Test cricket but I'd be very uncomfortable with him batting 7 in a domestic T20 game because he's got no shots until he's set.

I do think Jamieson is good enough for it though.

Binkley

U19 Captain
A late weigh-in on the Sears/Ravindra/Allen call ups: I don’t think any necessarily should debut for the national side, but all should be considered for the India and England tours. With Covid we will probably be taking two full squads to each country (what with MIQ making injury call-ups next to impossible), so those tours could make for a great development opportunity for a whole bunch of players - including those 3.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain

It's not just me thinking this. There are now articles starting to appear pushing for Allen selection. Another good knock in the super smash finals and I'm pretty sure he'll be given a go sooner than later unless Guptill smashes his way in. In that case that's fine I guess. Definitely good to see the competition for spots.

Howsie

International Captain
No chance

if the last 4-5 years is to go by then the likes of Allen, Ravindra and Sears will all be waiting a little while.We’re more liking to see older, less talented, boring cricketers in the likes of McConchie etc get a run.

Allen should definitely be given a game or two against the Australians, he’s the form batsman in this comp he deserves that at least. And if he looks the part and scores some decent runs awesome, we know NZ has another option to go to. Sadly Larsen and co have zero foresight with that type of thing.

nzfan

Was listening to club rooms podcast and Jimmy Neesham was almost hinting Auckland management have no idea how to recognize future talent. He was implying anyone that's left Auckland is a sure shot success elsewhere.

The Hutt Rec

It really is incredible that Allen had only played one super smash game before heading to Wellington. Something definitely went wrong there.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Malan briefly tried to get him involved on a trip to Hobart down at No. 6.

Batted like the gormless 'I'd really prefer all those fielders to be up inside the circle' top-order hitter he is, so it didn't bear fruit for Malan.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Malan briefly tried to get him involved on a trip to Hobart down at No. 6.

Batted like the gormless 'I'd really prefer all those fielders to be up inside the circle' top-order hitter he is, so it didn't bear fruit for Malan.
I think they tried him as an opener in Ford Trophy and it didn't really come off either? With Phillips, Munro and Guptill around can then see why he struggled to get an opening spot for Super Smash, they also had Cachopa, Chapman and O'Donnell as captain.

Flem274*

123/5
auckland had somerville at #8 then even worse blokes below. they were light on batting.

nzfan

Disappointing news for firebirds followers.... one of the blokes from Hutt D mentioned Ravindra is out for a very long time like over a year or more. Looking up he scored nearly 450 runs at an average of 75 and 9 wickets @ 37 vs WI/Pak A this season. Could have been a backup late middle order bat that also bowls but looks like he won't be able to play for a while to come. Don't quote me on this though but that's what I've heard. Why don't firebirds come out with a release about the injury. Same happens with all the domestic sides. They don't let out news about injuries at all.

Now I'll start backing Cole McConchie and Rippon for India series later this year.

Last edited:

Moss

Disappointing news for firebirds followers.... one of the blokes from Hutt D mentioned Ravindra is out for a very long time like over a year or more. Looking up he scored nearly 450 runs at an average of 75 and 9 wickets @ 37 vs WI/Pak A this season. Could have been a backup late middle order bat that also bowls but looks like he won't be able to play for a while to come. Don't quote me on this though but that's what I've heard. Why don't firebirds come out with a release about the injury. Same happens with all the domestic sides. They don't let out news about injuries at all.

Now I'll start backing Cole McConchie and Rippon for India series later this year.
That's disappointing if true, thought he would be a good tactical pick for the WTC final and the two England tests before that. Would be a risk to go into the final without a spinning option.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Just watched all the sixes - I like how Taylor basically announces to the bowler that he's going to hit every ball to cow corner, they try stop him and he does it anyway :happy:.

Mike5181

International Captain
Taylor averages nearly 50 with a SR of 170 odd in the Super Smash.