• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well given the length of the big bash, what would be the point of having a super smash when the top 15-30 players (depending on 1-2 teams) aren't there for the majority of it?
Oh, I thought you guys were discussing like a top 2 from BBL and top 2 from SS playing another tourney. Sorry if I misunderstood.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Oh, I thought you guys were discussing like a top 2 from BBL and top 2 from SS playing another tourney. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Yeah that's another thing. They used to play pre-season games between the NZ and Aus sides so I guess it could happen ... although don't think there was much interest in them.

nzfan

How come Will Young doesn't feature in any of your T20 teams? He's a pretty good player and suited for all formats.

Not to devalue but outer oval and puke runs are hard to take very seriously. Particularly if selecting a team for overseas tourney.

Really disappointed with Rosco, he could have scored a hundred today but took running too seriously. Did Larsen hint him hes a bit slow?

What's with guppy? Not sure why he's batting like in a one day format. Just whack it already. Surely he can smash it. Maybe he's hinted he needs some runs. I guess they should give him every game vs the aussies and if he can't come off then he should be done. No point in him proving his worth vs Bangladesh at home.

The competition is heating up for all rounder spot now for t20 WC. Jimmy, CDG, Doug and Darryl Mitchell. Only two spots available I guess with Jamieson a sure shot.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Well given the length of the big bash, what would be the point of having a super smash when the top 15-30 players (depending on 1-2 teams) aren't there for the majority of it? And then international players gone as well, it would be so diluted there would be no point.

Either that or they would have to go back to running it in November which IIRC was a disaster.
I was comparing it to the NPC/Super Rugby/Internationals, where the Super Smash could run alongside the Big Bash or afterwards. I'd just like to see our players get more exposure to Australian conditions so eventually, we might do an India and win over there. More A tours too please.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I was comparing it to the NPC/Super Rugby/Internationals, where the Super Smash could run alongside the Big Bash or afterwards. I'd just like to see our players get more exposure to Australian conditions so eventually, we might do an India and win over there. More A tours too please.
a t20 comp that just takes players out of the super smash isn't the way imo. A tours are required, the A tours to the asian countries have done wonders for nz vs spin.

Howsie

International Captain
Spice was at ND,in late 90s, when they had 4 young left arm spinners all at same time.

Vetorri, Mathew Hart, Spice, Mark Jefferson. Jefferson was also a dual sportsman in that he played rugby for Poverty Bay (for ages, or maybe actually as young man and then when older and returned to Bay).

They all played for NZ or NZ U19.

I think Jefferson moved to Wellington. Played Firebirds? And played prem club rugby.
I remember playing Mark Jefferson when he was playing for Poverty Bay in my first Hawke Cup game straight out of school. He was on a completely different level to any spin bowler I’d ever faced before, the amount of drift and his ability to change his pace was quite eye opening. I didn’t pick his arm ball once, and it would just swing in so much. Managed one scoring shot off him in 6-7 overs before he nailed me in front. Was quite happy to find out how much FC cricket he had played when I got back into the sheds...

nzfan

The famous Mayu's catch at basin if my memory serves right was bowled by Mark. It was a pretty high full toss probably would have been called a no ball these days. Very handy cricketer Mark, could bat too.

nzfan

Honest question, how many of you follow women cricket? Yeah Sophie is great and so is Kerr. Bates and few others are quite good but I cannot get myself to watch women's super smash.

Not taking anything away from Sophie though, she's a legend already. Tried couple of times to watch but gave up. A moon ball from a spinner would have come down with ice and the no. 3 batter tapped it for no runs. I gave up.

I watch the highlights of Sophie, Kerr etc are playing otherwise no chance for me to watch women's cricket live or at the stadium.

Can definitely watch white ferns, Aussie, England and India women game.

Flem274*

123/5
i enjoyed the womens big bash far more than i thought i would given it's random franchise t20 cricket. they all bat with nous and placement like kane. tbh the boundary ropes didn't need to be so far in, a lot of those shots would still go for 4 due to the timing and placement.

i like it more than a lot of mens franchise t20 because im not watching some b tier commentator sell pepsi while a random meathead has a swing. womens t20 feels a lot closer to actual cricket.

the bowling is eh once you've had your fill of 5th bowler style mediums but with professionalisation and the improvements that come into sport with it, hopefully we'll see women regularly touching 130kph with some swing in a decade or so.

The Hutt Rec

Yeah I enjoy watching the women’s super smash ... gradually getting to recognise some of the players from match to match. There’s some talented players in there for sure, but it’s also obvious ... especially with the fielding ... that a lot of them are very much not professional cricketers. Would be cool to get them a bit more funding, we’d definitely reap the benefits at White Fern level as well.

nzfan

Yeah I enjoy watching the women’s super smash ... gradually getting to recognise some of the players from match to match. There’s some talented players in there for sure, but it’s also obvious ... especially with the fielding ... that a lot of them are very much not professional cricketers. Would be cool to get them a bit more funding, we’d definitely reap the benefits at White Fern level as well.
Tuned in today again and in two overs saw three sitters go down.

As for super smash honestly they have to get a speed gun in. Some non descript leagues around the world with coverage on tv have speed gun. How will talent hunters from franchises outside of NZ take it seriously with no speed gun?

No speed gun, no snicko and no hawk eye. At least it won't be hard enough to get a coloured stripe wicket to wicket for LBW replays? Very good commentators but very poor production. They've got to do better if NZC thinks this is the premier tourney in NZ. Obviously first class isn't and ford trophy not taken all that seriously but if they can invest in super smash that'll be good. It's almost like everything else in our country, internet, electricity, amenities you name it. We pay good premium price for everything and we get just stock standard stuff. Reliable but no state of the art.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
the bowling is eh once you've had your fill of 5th bowler style mediums but with professionalisation and the improvements that come into sport with it, hopefully we'll see women regularly touching 130kph with some swing in a decade or so.
Darcie Brown was touching mid 120s at times at 17, hurried vastly more experienced players up. I seriously think she could be the next big star of the Australian womens team