• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Wondering who's BT Johns in the firebirds squad. Never heard of him. They've fixed it now. BT Johns is HDCC wicket keeper. Don't think he will ever play for Wellington A let alone Firebirds. His shot at fame lasted less than 5 minutes without playing :D

jcas0167

International Debutant
Joey Field set to debut for CD today. Finally we get to see a young one included.

Here is a good opportunity for sides to slot in few NZ under 19 reps but none of them take it. That is very disappointing. There are so many players missing at the moment and never a better chance to get some young ones in but the very limited short term thinking of all associations is disappointing.

NZC should make it mandatory for all associations to pick at least 1 or 2 NZ under 19 reps for each format. This is the only way to get some good experience for our promising youth players. What do they lose playing a player or two in ford or T20 sides? NZ is probably the only nation in the world that doesn't pick under national 19 reps consistently. Very backward thinking. Even a mega tourney like IPL have it mandatory to pick minimum number of under 19 reps.
Yeah, I also thought someone like the hard hitting Llew Johnson might get a chance for Otago but Broom and Kitchen are still mainstays. I remember the opposite situation in the 90's where there were concerns too many experienced players were retiring too early. It seems to have gone the other way now.

Flem274*

123/5
in two minds about your under 19s idea nzfan - i instinctively hate favouritism without performance but club cricket pitches are terrible it's tricky to sort who is good and who is baaaad. however, i think compulsory under 19s would shut the door firmly on guys like wiggins, williams, mcewan, murdoch etc who are nowhere in age group nz sides but click in their early to mid twenties and establish themselves in provincial cricket.

you risk further devaluing club cricket and devaluing provincial cricket as a carry on from that.

australia have been consistently good for 100 years because their club cricket is excellent, no matter what the standard of state cricket looks like.

Immenso

NZfans U19s idea is plain terrible.

Like the Australian Futures League, which was a disaster.

The Hutt Rec

in two minds about your under 19s idea nzfan - i instinctively hate favouritism without performance but club cricket pitches are terrible it's tricky to sort who is good and who is baaaad. however, i think compulsory under 19s would shut the door firmly on guys like wiggins, williams, mcewan, murdoch etc who are nowhere in age group nz sides but click in their early to mid twenties and establish themselves in provincial cricket.

you risk further devaluing club cricket and devaluing provincial cricket as a carry on from that.

australia have been consistently good for 100 years because their club cricket is excellent, no matter what the standard of state cricket looks like.
Exactly, the key is to improve club cricket around the country ... they should be playing on covered pitches at the very least.

Flem274*

123/5
geez there were some thin looking sides today with the t20, test and A squads claiming a fair few players. nice to see wiggins make a start at least. love the name, loved the out of nowhere domination last season.

nzfan

For a starter we are not as big as Australia or have as many vying for spots or our club cricket is strong enough to pick players from. At best our top grade club cricket is comparable to 3rd or 4th grade club cricket in Aussie. Auckland and Christchurch have reasonably good club level cricket. Outside of those two centers club cricket in the rest of the country is not top notch.

Since the last couple of decades owing to under 19s we have been able to get some players through who were raw but yet had the talent to go well at international level. Don't forget majority of the players in the national side now benefited by early selection to domestic sides straight from U19 national side not because they had great club record or outstanding performances at U19s but because they had the spark. Favoritism is the wrong word, it's early recognition of ability and talent. If you can play for national U19 side you can definitely play at domestic level. One or two players missing from club cricket makes no difference whatsoever. When I say compulsory selection for U19s I meant from national U19 sides. That's the least they can do. Otherwise the domestic sides will sign up near 30 year olds or guys that have had many chances but can't grab the opportunities.

Wellington had 4 U19 WC representatives in 2018, 1 in 2019. Out of them Ravindra has gone reasonably well, Bhula sparingly used, 3 others not even close and the last one we had Tashkoff the captain of the NZ U19 side can't find a place in Wellington A let alone domestic side. How hard is it to slot in one or two from this lot into the current side? Nope we have gone with Fraser Colson, Lauchie Johns, Johnson brothers, Younghusband and many more players picked from the club sides that can't perform despite so many hits. Clubs have likely played 4 out of 8 games right now on mostly artificial decks in Wellington.

Imagine having left Boult, Kane, Southee, Ish Sodhi, Jamieson, Munro, Young, Phillips, Ferguson, Rutherford, Sears, Nathan Smith, Duffy, Jimmy etc... to play club cricket for 2-3 years before getting them to play for domestic sides. Remember all these were the products of NZ U19s and got a domestic break as soon as they played for NZ U19s.

Last edited:

Immenso

The last 2 U19s batches just haven't been particularly good. Especially the seam bowling.

Only Ravindra and Allen looked really good from the 2018 batch with Bhula looking good enough to make solid Provincial player. Clarke is getting games for ND.

2020 batch. Far too early to tell. Probably stronger depth-wise than 2018 but missing the 2 age-grade superstars that the 2018 team had. But Wheeler-Grenall looked very promising but was also only 17, so possibly still at school. Tashkoff, Kris Clarke, Ashok, Mariu look promising. Maybe the 2 keepers. But spinners and keepers are competing for often single spots in senior lineups.

That Wellington had a decent batch of players in the U19s, but the U19s were weak those years, and those players aren't getting senior opportunities .... well, can see a pattern. Expect Tashkoff to get a go, and do alright, at some stage. Expect Ford Trophy would be the best format to start him off in?

Last edited:

Immenso

Rutherford's start at Otago was no different to what Bhula is getting now. Tried, failed, dumped, made it at 22.

Fergusson didn't start early (also wasn't a product of NZ U19s).

Flem274*

123/5
teenage cricketers are almost always terrible, even national reps. name all the cricketers who were fc standard before their early twenties - kane, southee, boult, rachin borderline. so genuine world class cricketers, and i remember kanes tortured start to fc cricket.

under 19s to fc is a huge step up. if you throw them straight in they almost always suck and drag the standard down. not to mention plenty of players are nowhere at under 19 level only to hit their stride a bit later, the most famous case being shane bond.

95% of pro sportsmen get good in their early to mid 20s and teenagers who get good early will let you know.

i agree club cricket sucks, which is why it needs improving. id start with the pitches. always get a laugh when my mate snapchats me the latest lawn he's playing on for club. why would you be a batsman or bowl fast honestly.

Immenso

But the associations with weaker club cricket - have the provincial sub-union cricket to filter things.

Wellington should do more with Hutt Valley / Wellington City.

The real solution, at a national level, is:
- some 3 day U19 provincial cricket.
- more provincial 'A' cricket.
- some 3 day 'Test' international U19 cricket.

But that is a budget constraint.

nzfan

Ford trophy second round today. Bit of a dull look with many of our top players missing out. There is a bit of run drought at the moment. The Auckland ND game is the only one that's on at the moment. Rain down south and in New Plymouth. Auckland 6 down on what looks like a pretty flat deck.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
Ford trophy second round today. Bit of a dull look with many of our top players missing out. There is a bit of run drought at the moment. The Auckland ND game is the only one that's on at the moment. Rain down south and in New Plymouth. Auckland 6 down on what looks like a pretty flat deck.
Rob O'Donnells dismissal is hilarious, how is this guy in the team let alone skipper.....