• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

jcas0167

International Debutant
Good to see some promising young players turning for Otago A today. Jacob Cumming who won the Gillette Cup player of the year and 18 yr old Beckham Wheeler-Greenall who was one of the best for NZ under 19 in the World Cup this year.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
It's going to be interesting selecting firebirds side for the one day with several of our main players missing. Conway, Ravindra, Bennett, Blundell, Sears, Van Beek (injured) off the head are going to miss fair number of ford trophy games.

We're left with

Andrew Fletcher
Jakob Bhula
Finn Allen
Michael Bracewell
Troy Johnson
Fraser Colson
Jamie Gibson
Peter Younghusband
Lauchie Johns
Iain McPeake
Ollie Newton
Michael Snedden

We're travelling for the six games and will travel with 13 players so will need to find 2 players from the A side or club. Given the number of overs we have bowled during the PS I think there's bound to be an injury or two to some of our bowlers. One or two will be out of form with the bat as well. We may see couple of players elevated from the club or A side. There may be chances of Henry Walsh reappearing for firebirds. Maybe even Michael Pollard may have a chance. Unless they opt for some young ones such as Luke Georgeson, Chander Ravi etc... Hartshorn will be definitely picked I reckon. We have reasonable batting but bowling looks shockingly out of depth.

Immenso

Is there going to be a national U19 tournament this season? I don't see anything in the NZC schedules or cricket archive schedule?

Immenso

^^ was wondering if it was a covid / budgeting casualty, but they've just had the Intermediate Schools tournament, so surely not. Just not loaded in website yet?

nzfan

They've caned Under 17s which is not good but the under 19s are on from what I know. Why do they scrap the grass root cricket to save money? Not that they save much from that. From what I know players pay for the tour and maybe some of it is is paid by the location association. There used to be under 15s tourney, they used to play 3 day cricket and that was a very good tourney for young ones to develop. Now they have this pod system or something they borrowed from Aussie where the team is rotated every game where bowlers bat at the top and next week is vice versa. This is to increase participation in cricket. Works well for kids under 13 but can be dangerous path to take for kids over 15 years older. They will develop no skills to bowl long overs or bat long enough. They will have to start learning to do this when they are 18-19 and that's going to back fire big time.

Flem274*

123/5
i don't think it's that bad. there are still huge gulfs in talent between the best and worst players of your average 15-17 year old side. they're just trying to ensure everyone actually gets a proper go. even hamilton mens club seconds has a huge gap between the best and worst players.

Midoff

Cricket Spectator
Super Smash Stats. Where can one find cumulative stats for players performance in the Super Smash? Eg: Batsman’s total runs , average and strike rate over say past 4 seasons. Can anyone help?

Midoff

Cricket Spectator
Chapman is good... he's really good white ball cricketer. He got called in for black caps but as a bowler last year vs India :blink: He should be given a go, bit of a long rope I'd think. He's not played enough to be judged yet IMO. ......
Spare chances here and there for Phillips, Chapman, Mitchell, Tickener, etc but never on a consistent basis.

Midoff

Cricket Spectator
White ball player ? In calendar year 2020 Chapman has scored 697 FC/ red ball runs at 69.70 average . In 10 innings - 3 centuries and 4 x 50’s. As my Uncle maintained ‘ Look in the Scorebook’ .

nzfan

Chapman has done well in all formats I suppose in the last couple of years but he's obviously not going to be fitted into red ball cricket for BCs is he?

Leopard and Clarkson playing for CD A and doing quite well. I suppose we get to see them play for CD more consistently this year in super smash.

Keenly following this game to see how Henry Walsh goes. He was a promising young cricketer few years ago. Jamie Siddons the then coach of firebirds and few senior players forced this bloke out of cricket like they forced Harry Boam with shabby treatment.

Flem274*

123/5
im happy to see chapman considered for red ball cricket if he's scoring runs. i already think he's a certain white ball player if he's sorted his short ball weaknesses.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
White ball player ? In calendar year 2020 Chapman has scored 697 FC/ red ball runs at 69.70 average . In 10 innings - 3 centuries and 4 x 50’s. As my Uncle maintained ‘ Look in the Scorebook’ .
I believe that scorebook might feature Colin Munro too...

nzfan

One of the team probably leaving a bit early? Or players heading to Ford trophy. I think it's starting this weekend. Maybe only one pitch is available to play perhaps.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
colin munro probably would have made a perfectly fine #6 or #7 in his prime tbh. he had an incredible eye.
There was a little period where this MIGHT have been an option and could of worked, only problem was C.Munro was plundering most of his runs at the famed EPOO batting at 4... and some of them were straight firework type innings at the time. Could of been CDG before CDG though

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
What's up with munro's first class numbers? 52 @98 is insane. Also why was he only given one test?