• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Rob O'Donnells dismissal is hilarious, how is this guy in the team let alone skipper.....
Hate to knock off any player as they all put in the mile but I can't disagree with this, the man never seems to score. He captains which is bewildering.

Mike5181

International Captain
Is Corey Anderson still available for Auckland? I know he's been terrible for years, but if you can't even make a Ford Trophy team in this round...

Immenso

Canterbury player Tyler Lortan who played yesterday is another South African. Just an observation.

Played only at the provincial, not franchise, level. And for a very minor province (KwaZulu-Natal Inland)

Played T20 for Canterbury 3 season ago, so assume he's been in Christchurch club cricket for a few years.

Immenso

Hate to knock off any player as they all put in the mile but I can't disagree with this, the man never seems to score. He captains which is bewildering.
O'Donnell looks a good player to me, in previous seasons would have liked to have seen him move up order and take more responsibilty, but he looks all over the place this season.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Canterbury player Tyler Lortan who played yesterday is another South African. Just an observation.

Played only at the provincial, not franchise, level. And for a very minor province (KwaZulu-Natal Inland)

Played T20 for Canterbury 3 season ago, so assume he's been in Christchurch club cricket for a few years.
If SA Cricket actually goes through with its plans to make the national team 63% non-white by 2022/23, one can't help but imagine that NZ domestix will get even more flooded with saffer immigrants. Especially once they notice former franchise failure Conway making a name for himself at next year's T20 World Cup.

Immenso

63%, so 7 out of the starting 11. What a farce.

Never thought of cricket team personnel in percentages before, thanks CSA, for the idea.

NZ's first choice test starting 11 is already 18% Afrikaaner. 27% Southern African born, 18% SAF born.

It might get to 63% South African born at the same time CSA reach their 63% non-white target, but 75% of the players in the test first 11 on the verge of retirement are the 3 Southern African born mentioned above. So, maybe not.

nzfan

I'm bewildered at this 63% figure. Who comes up with that kind of number and what is the basis of it? I know there needs to be a bit of balance by providing players of economically backward classes to encourage them so that the don't miss out but still quota for sports teams doesn't sound right. Maybe I have no idea how things pan out in South Africa. I'm aware of the past but still it's tough to balance out with 63% reservation.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
O'Donnell looks a good player to me, in previous seasons would have liked to have seen him move up order and take more responsibilty, but he looks all over the place this season.
Quite interested in what you are basing this off? He's been playing FC cricket for near bang on 6 years and has 2 hundreds to show for it...... Like nzfan, I'm never one to want to knock a player cause they all day in day out cricketers but thats a middle order spot thats been held up in Auckland for a long time......

Flem274*

123/5
yea i've been very disappointed by o'donnell. i don't know the auckland club scene at all but he's at least preventing sean solia from batting in a more natural positing than friggin opening.

Immenso

Quite interested in what you are basing this off? He's been playing FC cricket for near bang on 6 years and has 2 hundreds to show for it...... Like nzfan, I'm never one to want to knock a player cause they all day in day out cricketers but thats a middle order spot thats been held up in Auckland for a long time......
Just from watching the video scorecards over the years, so really just the boundaries, aesthetically pleasing.
No greater insight than that .....

vandem

International 12th Man
yea i've been very disappointed by o'donnell. i don't know the auckland club scene at all but he's at least preventing sean solia from batting in a more natural positing than friggin opening.
When I have watched them both in the last couple of seasons (at EPOO and in Whangarei) I haven't seen a reason to rate Solia ahead of O'Donnell.

O'Donnell started the season aged 26 with 2503 FC runs @ 30.90, 2 x 100s. FC average last 2 seasons 35 and 37.

In comparison Solia last 2 FC seasons (mostly batting middle order) average 32 and 24. If Auckland want to protect him from the new ball they have an experienced opener batting at #5 that they could ask to open again.

In another comparison, Andrew Jones aged 26 had 1531 FC runs @ 31.24, 1 x 100. Not saying that O'Donnell is as good as Jones, but that aged 26 they were both at a similar stage in their career.

nzfan

Corey Anderson going to the US like Will Luddick? I just hope Foxcroft doesn't go there too.

Corey Anderson still has plenty to offer. I reckon he's as young as Kane? He can push for places in NZ. The Auckland move was not a good one for him. They dropped him from super smash side for some that weren't even as good as him. It's a shame if we lose him, he can definitely make a come back in NZ considering he'll be competing with the likes of CDG (getting old now), Neesham (still good but you never know considering his past consistency) and Darryl Mitchell (Easily Corey is better than Darryl Mitchell in all aspects of cricket by far). US will be better off of course, he can lead them in 3 years time and will be a consistent match winner in the associate league.

nzfan

Very glad to see Sears and Bennett return to Firebirds. Wish Conway and Ravindra were playing too instead of warming the bench somewhere else. Firebirds look out of depth in all departments this year.

nzfan

Rutherford not playing for Volts today, safe to assume he's off to NZ A duties.

The Hutt Rec

Very glad to see Sears and Bennett return to Firebirds. Wish Conway and Ravindra were playing too instead of warming the bench somewhere else. Firebirds look out of depth in all departments this year.
I don't mind Conway being 12th man for the test, it will be a good chance for him to feel part of the team before he debuts. Was cool to see him get a catch, as well.