• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**2007 World Cup**

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Natman20 said:
Who have Sri Lanka played lately? Could they have made it there by playing minnows or did they play bigger teams in ODIs
The rankings take into account strength of opposition.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cloete said:
It definitely has to be Aus for mine. Alot gets said about the depth. But really, it's entirely true. Look at guys like Hodge, M Hussey, D Hussey, Katich, Maher, Bevan, Elliott and Love who would walk into almost any other international team's batting order.
What's to say that they would be a success. Until tried then you can't say anything.

Cloete said:
Then with such a vast array of pacers to choose from
The pacers who all did so well when called upon last you mean?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
LongHopCassidy said:
Impossible.

Pool 1:
Aus - 1
SA - 5
ICC 1
ICC 5

Pool 2:
NZ/SL (NZ if they win 1 of the last 2 in this series, if not SL) - 2
Ind - 8
Ban - 11
ICC 4

Pool 3:
NZ/SL (other side from above) - 3
Eng - 7
Ken - 10
ICC 3

Pool 4:
Pak - 4
WI - 6
Zim - 9
ICC 2

The numbers 1-11 relate to current World Rankings, ICC 1 to 5 is based on performances this July.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
What's to say that they would be a success. Until tried then you can't say anything.
No, but you can guess. When discussing "depth" you can only really talk about the options that are available in any of the first team players are missing, and as it stands Australia has plenty of those options.

T
marc71178 said:
he pacers who all did so well when called upon last you mean?
Well, yeah... Bracken for example has 28 wickets @ 19.71 in his ODI career with an eco of 3.89, and Williams has 35 wickets @ 23 with an eco of 4.08. So, when called up they did pretty damn well. Throw in the likes of Tait and the fact that Australia are currently rotating an extra quick in and out of their ODI side and you have depth.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I was talking about the Tests, or shall we ignore them?
In another thread just recently you claimed that the formats had nothing to do with one another... and since we are obviously discussing one day cricket in relation to the world cup, their ODI records seemed more relevant. But yes, they struggled in the tests against India, along with Bichel and Lee, and even Gillespie had 10 @ 37 in that series.

Anyway, the point is that the last time Australia was required to dig deep due to injury and bring in extra pace bowlers for ODIs, they did spectacularly well. I'm not saying I think Bracken or Williams should be candidates for the test squad or that they are as good as the four quicks Australia is using at the moment, but your claim that the last time Australia's ODI bowling depth was tested it failed is pretty bogus. At a pinch there's also Bichel and Tait who have had excellent years in domestic cricket, and the latter is undoubtedly destined for an international debut some time soon.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
cric_manic said:
in with a shout? NZ will be one of the favourites at the world cup in 2007
Na, NZ are outsiders if Aus beat them 5-0 regardless of what some ranking system says. To win the World Cup someone will have to beat Aus in the semis or final, as I've said before England and WI look the main threats.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Na, NZ are outsiders if Aus beat them 5-0 regardless of what some ranking system says. To win the World Cup someone will have to beat Aus in the semis or final, as I've said before England and WI look the main threats.
What have WI done to indicate they are likely candidates to beat Australia? New Zealand might not have managed any wins this series, but at least they have looked competitive against the Australians in recent times, while the West Indies have not at all. England might be in with a shot if they can sort out their bowling problems in the near future, but if they don't I can't see them getting too far. New Zealand and Pakistan are both capable, and Sri Lanka and India are always dangerous in ODIs on their day.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
What have WI done to indicate they are likely candidates to beat Australia? New Zealand might not have managed any wins this series, but at least they have looked competitive against the Australians in recent times, while the West Indies have not at all. England might be in with a shot if they can sort out their bowling problems in the near future, but if they don't I can't see them getting too far. New Zealand and Pakistan are both capable, and Sri Lanka and India are always dangerous in ODIs on their day.
Because the World Cup is held in WI and look at the finalists in the last noteworthy ODI competition. Forget the Asian sides except maybe Pakistan now they have a decent coach.

Blaze

Banned
Scaly piscine said:
England? Their one day cricket looks far from threatning. They beat Aus once. wipdedo. You are dreaming if you think they look like a threat to Aus

Deja moo

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Because the World Cup is held in WI and look at the finalists in the last noteworthy ODI competition. Forget the Asian sides except maybe Pakistan now they have a decent coach.

You mean the West Indies who would be hard pressed to win such a match 19 out of 20 times given the position they were in, or the English side which let them win it ?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
What about India??? I think they are the team that can get close to Australia. Also, New Zealand are always a chance because they bat down to no. 11 ... you just can't finsh them off!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
It is only important on who is 2nd in about a week's time.
Ah right, didn't realise the groups were determined so soon, way too early if you ask me.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Impossible.

Pool 1:
Aus - 1
SA - 5
ICC 1
ICC 5

Pool 2:
NZ/SL (NZ if they win 1 of the last 2 in this series, if not SL) - 2
Ind - 8
Ban - 11
ICC 4

Pool 3:
NZ/SL (other side from above) - 3
Eng - 7
Ken - 10
ICC 3

Pool 4:
Pak - 4
WI - 6
Zim - 9
ICC 2

The numbers 1-11 relate to current World Rankings, ICC 1 to 5 is based on performances this July.
From a New Zealand perspective, I'd prefer the Kiwis to be placed in Group 3. Group 2 consists of the unpredictable Indian side, but come World Cup time they seem to step up while the improving Bangladesh side would surely be more established by 2007. Group 3 contains the Kenyans, who at present look much weaker than Bangladesh and even Zimbabwe, while England are struggling at the shorter form of the game.

Of course, this could all change come June 2007.