• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**2007 World Cup**

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
cric_manic said:
if nz win one game in the current series they should retain their 2nd placing
Current rankings are the following:
1 Australia 139
2 Sri Lanka 117
3 New Zealand 117
4 Pakistan 109
5 South Africa 107
6 West Indies 105
7 England 103
8 India 98
9 Zimbabwe 51
10 Kenya 26
11 Bangladesh 11

So if we're to keep second spot, not only our performances will be important, the Sri Lankans will have to play a part.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
cric_manic said:
i think the depth in aus cricket is talked up a bit,yes they have some good players but people talk like every player in the australian domestic competion would walk into other international sides,wich is not true
Yes, but if it weren't for the depth, those players would be in the Australian national side - if New Zealand had so much depth, youngsters like the Marshalls, Papps, etc would find getting into the New Zealand side a lot more challenging.

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
The years pile up in the Australian team

Mass exodus on the cards, says Martyn

Cricinfo staff

February 26, 2005

Damien Martyn: sees the end coming

Damien Martyn has admitted that the current Australian team, in which half the players are more than 30 yearsold, will reach a critical stage after the 2007 World Cup, and that their glory days will come to an end some time soon. Martyn also lamented the exit of Darren Lehmann from the national side.

"I think you'll probably see a mass exodus of the guys after the World Cup from one-day cricket, and rightly so," Martyn told the Sydney Morning Herald. "It would be amazing to play three World Cups and win three. I'm not sure what would happen with the Test team. If the selectors feel they want me to keep playing Test cricket after that, I'd think about [playing]. I'll never hang on until my last dying breath."

Martyn, who is 33, remarked that the sacking of Lehmann from the side is a sign that the Australian team won't always continue its present form, and nor is his position in the side guaranteed. "I see these guys more than Mum and Dad," Martyn said. "I'm on the road ten months a year, we live in each others' pockets, we help the guys who are sad and laugh with the guys who are happy. There are lots of emotions. I class us as one big family. One of the big reasons we're No. 1 is because we handle that so well.

"So when someone goes out of that, and Boof [Lehmann] was a big part of what we've been, you just feel sad about that. It's inevitable we're all going to finish up. It's like one of your great mates is gone, and if he doesn't play [for Australia] again, you're never going to play with him again."

Martyn also mentioned that his team-mates Matthew Hayden and Adam Gilchrist and himself have worked hard to reach their current position. "We feel we've worked so hard to get here and we're on top of our games physically but, more importantly, mentally. A lot of us had to wait a long time to get back in the side. Sometimes you feel like there's an attitude of 'get rid of them now'. We feel that we've worked so hard to be No. 1, so why would you change it if it's going so well?"

With the Ashes coming up this year, Martyn revealed that Australia would be seeking revenge over England for their defeat in the Champions Trophy last year. Martyn also believes that having a veteran team for the 2007 World Cup will prove beneficial to them. "I think you need that," he said. "If you had a one-day side of 21-year-olds, you wouldn't win anything. Teams are passionate to beat us. It was like the ICC Trophy, [when] England really wanted to knock us off and they did in that tournament.

"For us, that hurts a lot. When this [tour of New Zealand] is over, the Ashes tour is a massive challenge for the whole group. There's a lot of pride at stake. It was hard to take when we lost that game [to England] ... especially for the guys who know this will be their last Ashes tour."

© Cricinfo

Natman20

International Debutant
Who have Sri Lanka played lately? Could they have made it there by playing minnows or did they play bigger teams in ODIs

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Natman20 said:
Who have Sri Lanka played lately? Could they have made it there by playing minnows or did they play bigger teams in ODIs
They lost to Australia, before beating South Africa and Zimbabwe easily. The also won their only ODI against England after the other two were rained out. So it does seem odd they've found themselves so high on the table.

Natman20

International Debutant
Somerset said:
They lost to Australia, before beating South Africa and Zimbabwe easily. The also won their only ODI against England after the other two were rained out. So it does seem odd they've found themselves so high on the table.
With that I think NZ and SRL are pretty similar at moment but would have to say NZ slightly in front

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Natman20 said:
With that I think NZ and SRL are pretty similar at moment but would have to say NZ slightly in front
I would rate Sri Lanka better on the subcontinent but anywhere else I believe the New Zealand side is better. Shame the home series that was meant to be played over December and January was abandoned because of the terrible tsunami disaster.

Cloete

International Captain
It definitely has to be Aus for mine. Alot gets said about the depth. But really, it's entirely true. Look at guys like Hodge, M Hussey, D Hussey, Katich, Maher, Bevan, Elliott and Love who would walk into almost any other international team's batting order. Then with such a vast array of pacers to choose from and Haddin as a keeper, plus Ronchi, Dawson, Crosthwaite and Hartley coming through. There certainly is alot of depth.

However I think India will challenge. In a coutnry with 1 billion people and cricket treated almost a a religion, how can they not do well? Their domestic leagues are so strong and there are many classy players coming through. I definitely think they should do well.

England, New Zealand and Pakistan all in with a shout as well.

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
Cloete said:
It definitely has to be Aus for mine. Alot gets said about the depth. But really, it's entirely true. Look at guys like Hodge, M Hussey, D Hussey, Katich, Maher, Bevan, Elliott and Love who would walk into almost any other international team's batting order. Then with such a vast array of pacers to choose from and Haddin as a keeper, plus Ronchi, Dawson, Crosthwaite and Hartley coming through. There certainly is alot of depth.

However I think India will challenge. In a coutnry with 1 billion people and cricket treated almost a a religion, how can they not do well? Their domestic leagues are so strong and there are many classy players coming through. I definitely think they should do well.

England, New Zealand and Pakistan all in with a shout as well.
in with a shout? NZ will be one of the favourites at the world cup in 2007

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cloete said:
I wouldn't get carried away and start talking of a vast array of pacers as of yet. The backup bowling certainly hasn't been flash in general. Also, I'd like to see the likes of Hodge, Ronchi, Dawson, D Hussey, Crosthwaite and Hartley do something on the international stage first.
Maher and Haddin haven't set the world alight either.

Blaze

Banned
I am going to try and pick a team that from this far out I could see being the NZ team for the 07 world cup

N Astle
S Fleming
H Marshall
S Styris
C McMillan/ J Marshall/ R Taylor
C Cairns
J Oram
B McCullum
D Vettori
S Bond
R Sherlock/ I Butler/ T Davis

That would be my 14 that I can see getting picked at this stage. Thoughts?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Natman20 said:
What teams of the minnows do you think will qualify?
E.g U.S.A, Canada, Scotland, Netherlands
Canada, Netherlands, maybe Malaysia, certainly Kenya, and a toss up between Scotland/USA.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
LongHopCassidy said:
Canada, Netherlands, maybe Malaysia, certainly Kenya, and a toss up between Scotland/USA.
Canada; yes, Netherlands; hopefully(van bunge maybe wont play)Scotland,USA and Malaysia or maybe someone else, Kenya is automatic placed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Somerset said:
So if we're to keep second spot, not only our performances will be important, the Sri Lankans will have to play a part.
It is only important on who is 2nd in about a week's time.