• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

wrongun

Banned
They probably got sick of him playing and missing, and who could blame them? Lol 34 times in a day. I’ve used this analogy before with other players, but it really was the cricketing equivalent of that basketball game in the States where the high school mascot with difficulties was allowed to throw on the team shirt and landed some three pointers.
This would be true if it was after the fact. But they bowled around the wicket to him since Pat Cummins’ first over. What game were you watching?

wrongun

Banned
TBH Cummins or Patto need to go bezerk on England and rip out the remaining 6 wickets. Aus can the. Hopefully capitalize on no jimmy Anderson.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And some other poor **** will come out and snick one of their first few balls to the keeper. Luck definitely plays a bigger part in cricket than most sports IMO

Burgey

This would be true if it was after the fact. But they bowled around the wicket to him since Pat Cummins’ first over. What game were you watching?
Cummins bowled around the wicket to him at the getgo, Pattinson and Siddle didn’t, but did at other times through the day. The game I was watching was the one where the plonker made a hundred despite playing and missing a lot and looking as out of form at 6pm as he did at half 10, whether they bowled over or around the wicket to him. How about you?

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Thought Lyon was the weak link in the Oz attack. Bowled one bad ball pretty much every over so that he wasn't able to build up pressure and utilise the assistance in the pitch and bowling to left-handers.

Siddle did pretty much what was hoped of for him; namely he can bowl long, tight spells with the odd wicket and prevent the need for a fifth bowler.

Pattinson bowled well and Cummins had some good spells although I think he's better suited as a first change bowler; don't think he's great as a new ball bowler.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Also, England from what I've seen have been much better at getting singles through smart deflections and good running than Oz have. Australia in the opening D1 sessions especially really needed to turn over the strike more.

It's a bit of a shock to see as for decades it was given it was something Oz were clearly better at in Ashes contests.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
While I would have preferred Burns not to make a hundred last night, there was the silver lining of Mark Waugh being owned on twitter.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
While I would have preferred Burns not to make a hundred last night, there was the silver lining of Mark Waugh being owned on twitter.
Waugh is such an utter **** when it comes to cricketing opinions, and he was a terrible selector.

vcs

I thought Mark Waugh hated Twitter. Vaguely remember reading something along those lines on here.

Burgey

Thought Lyon was the weak link in the Oz attack. Bowled one bad ball pretty much every over so that he wasn't able to build up pressure and utilise the assistance in the pitch and bowling to left-handers.

Siddle did pretty much what was hoped of for him; namely he can bowl long, tight spells with the odd wicket and prevent the need for a fifth bowler.

Pattinson bowled well and Cummins had some good spells although I think he's better suited as a first change bowler; don't think he's great as a new ball bowler.
Thought Lyon was fine tbh. He’s gone at less than threes on day two on a postage stamp, regularly beat the bat and created chances. I’ve seen him bowl a fair bit worse and jag four.

Burgey

With the pitch being dry, a bit abrasive and needing to wrap up the innings as quickly as possible, how good would it be if we had a bloke in the squad who’s been taking wickets in England over the past couple of months and who is known to reverse the old ball from left arm over at 150kph to knock over bunnies in test innings like he’s Mixamotosis. Wish we had one