• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Semi Final | NZ vs Pak | Sydney, 09 Nov 2022

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
He is a good test bat. Probably a good ODI bat and not the worst T20 bat. I feel you would have collapsed far harder had it not been for him the first game. Has good technique and handles the short ball well. Need that in Aus.
I feel his early departure in that game would have given more time (& overs) to Haider and Shadab.
Haider's footwork against spin is better than Babar's. He could have taken down Ashwin in that game.

But now he is omitted from the team. We will probably not see him in near future. :(

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I feel his early departure in that game would have given more time (& overs) to Haider and Shadab.
Haider's footwork against spin is better than Babar's. He could have taken down Ashwin in that game.

But now he is omitted from the team. We will probably not see him in near future. :(
Not if you lose the final. :p

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Pakistan did make a meal out if it in the end... Haris is playing some clutch cameos to bail them out.
You need to take a hold of Pakistani spinners & I reckon they are beatable.
NZ were shockingly bad with their tactics which is quite rare with them but guess Pakistan is indeed a very bad match up for them.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think a brittle batting lineup was exposed. We only lost 4 wickets. It was just that none of our big hitters (Allen, Phillips, and Neesham) got going.
Yeah, neither do I. Allen was to be fair, Shaheen had a clear MO of how he was going to get him out, Allen got a wake up call 2nd ball and wasn't savvy enough to use it. But he's young. Mitchell's knock was a subtle epic, Kane did an admirable job and the rest didn't get going. It happens.

Pakistan bowled very well on a pitch they would've enjoyed. I love their death bowling- great pace, good changes of pace and unapologetically say we're going to bowl full/hole, if you want runs you either have to ramp or hope we miss. More sides should copy what they do, although they haven't got the 140+ skiddy ability Pakistan do.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Pakistan did make a meal out if it in the end... Haris is playing some clutch cameos to bail them out.
You need to take a hold of Pakistani spinners & I reckon they are beatable.
NZ were shockingly bad with their tactics which is quite rare with them but guess Pakistan is indeed a very bad match up for them.
The current setup is a far cry from WC 2016 when Kane opted to play 3 spinners in that opening game against India (and reverted to pacemen in other games) - these days it's very much about sticking to the formula. That apart, they were all just very flat (especially the bowling) or just plain outsmarted with the exception of Mitchell. Didn't seem to have a decent plan B when things were not going to script.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah we mightve been 10-15 runs shy but we actually ran really well, our dot ball percentage would've been very low. Just couldn't hit good bowling to the fence enough

Reckon Santner should've bowled earlier in the power play, maybe even Sodhi. Both Southee and Ferguson were sitting ducks the way the new ball was coming through, and Boult unfortunately was far from his usual best

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The current setup is a far cry from WC 2016 when Kane opted to play 3 spinners in that opening game against India (and reverted to pacemen in other games) - these days it's very much about sticking to the formula. That apart, they were all just very flat (especially the bowling) or just plain outsmarted with the exception of Mitchell. Didn't seem to have a decent plan B when things were not going to script.
When we say poor tactics (not you) and no Plan B, what would that have looked like? Are we talking batting or bowling predominantly?

Bracewell would've played a role on that deck, and you could've played him over a very out of sorts Lockie. Guess that's something we could've been brave on, seeing the deck always looked slow.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I was actually very relieved when I realized we are getting Kiwis in the Semis. ICC events are 70 % mental and rest is skills so there is a reason that teams continue to have historical bogey teams even if set of players are changing

Moss

International Vice-Captain
When we say poor tactics (not you) and no Plan B, what would that have looked like? Are we talking batting or bowling predominantly?

Bracewell would've played a role on that deck, and you could've played him over a very out of sorts Lockie. Guess that's something we could've been brave on, seeing the deck always looked slow.
Well a few thoughts/examples - given how much depends on Allen coming off in the powerplay, if he goes early you could maybe consider bringing in Phillips or Mitchell instead of the Conway/Kane combination? When Conway made what I thought was a bad situational judgement call (because he would have been an asset against the spinners having already got his eye in) and was run out, perhaps left hander Neesham ahead of Phillips who has his issues starting out against spin? Bowling Santner and not Ferguson in the powerplay when Southee and Boult couldn't make the new ball count? And yes, try the sixth bowler once in a way although I guess it wouldn't have made much difference in this game.

Not saying any of this would have clicked, but not deviating from the script even slightly means you can't expect vastly different results (Australia game was at least a refreshing change). Since around 2018 NZ hasn't had the measure of Pakistan's white ball bowling and today it was mostly same old though KW-Mitchell did well to hold it together.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
When I went to bed after 2 overs it was obvious that Pakistan simply wanted it more. Just felt like NZ turned up because they had to. When Boult jammed his first delivery in too short it seemed obvious NZ hadn't really done much homework before the match or watched Pakistan's bowling innings.

Fair play Pakistan, the better team won

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain

Boundaries were hard to come by also that risky single by Conway & run out was perhaps game changing. Pakistan employed spin straightaway after PP & Nawaz & Shadab found it very easier vs KW & Phillips.
I'd have liked to see promotion of a left handed Neesham to take them on.
They literally threw their X factor Phillips to the wolves & no wonder Pak were over the moon to see his back.
In end we saw Neesham struggling &, nudging full tosses in business end lol. Phillips might have taken it to 165+ easy at the end. You can't be too rigid while facing Pakistan.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
No doubt Macewell would've been a good addition, the ball was absolutely ragging by the end of the game. Never would've happened, but if he'd been picked ahead of Lockie that also probably would've benefitted NZ by making them a little less timid during the middle overs.

I don't think NZ were far away from a defendable score. Another 10 runs would've had them right in it (assuming a strong fielding effort to back up the bowlers, which of course we didn't get).

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pak have done about enough to deserve being in the finals and erase the shame of the Zim loss. Wins over SA and NZ and running India close is nothing to scoff at.
Yeah I don't think we have played champions worthy cricket but I don't think there has been any real standout team in this tourney. So whoever wins it would be one who is most deserving.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Well a few thoughts/examples - given how much depends on Allen coming off in the powerplay, if he goes early you could maybe consider bringing in Phillips or Mitchell instead of the Conway/Kane combination? When Conway made what I thought was a bad situational judgement call (because he would have been an asset against the spinners having already got his eye in) and was run out, perhaps left hander Neesham ahead of Phillips who has his issues starting out against spin? Bowling Santner and not Ferguson in the powerplay when Southee and Boult couldn't make the new ball count? And yes, try the sixth bowler once in a way although I guess it wouldn't have made much difference in this game.

Not saying any of this would have clicked, but not deviating from the script even slightly means you can't expect vastly different results (Australia game was at least a refreshing change). Since around 2018 NZ hasn't had the measure of Pakistan's white ball bowling and today it was mostly same old though KW-Mitchell did well to hold it together.
I hadn't considered how inflexible we've been - because I don't care much for the 'tactics' of T20 nor am I a student of that format - but this makes really good sense, and I will be passing it off as my own knowledge/insight at work this morning. God bless the internet.